Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Advice please lads…

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I’m mid way through buggering around with a new set of headlights for the M5.

I hate all the chrome in the standard pre-LCI headlights and the LCI lights make pre-LCI look a bit dated in my view but I do prefer the Icons to the new style.

So I’ve got a couple of options. I basically bought three headlights. One was knackered and only cost me 80 quid so I thought it would be a good guinnea pig before I started on them proper and it gave me some spare bits to play with.

Here’s what I’m thinking about:

Option 1 - all black
B6801A8A-C11D-4B2D-AE45-5A431749F2B6.jpeg

Option 2 - grey eyebrow and grey internal elements around the rings

9847EADB-F38C-4CEF-9A92-F9AEFB35F4FA.jpeg
Option 3 - black eyebrow and grey internal elements

F2EA8479-A791-49F3-9348-49EB45998F78.jpeg

0819018C-AB6F-48BA-A06F-7F1FF113A3D4.jpeg

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Don’t think I’m going to run with the grey eyebrow. I’m 50/50 between option 1 and 3.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
I concur. It’s a vote for option 1, all black from me.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Absolutely Option one, all black, its gives the headlight depth and it will also look sinister and mean especially on your car!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Yep think you’re right. I thought the grey bits inside would give it a bit of structure but there’s nothing else going to be grey to match. All black it is.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
This is the finished article(s) complete with new lenses. Can’t wait to fit them. Supposed to be good weather on Sunday so will wait till then (unless the forecast changes Incan do then on Saturday instead!)

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Couldn't wait till Sunday. Was a dry day today so stuck them on this morning before getting stuck into work. Took me just over two hours. Big photos so click on thumbnails below for full size. The difference is subtler in photos than in real life but I'm soo happy with this. This has really beefed up the front end in my eyes, which was the one area on the M5 (pre-LCI) that I think is just too soft. Not any more!

Comparison.jpg After-off.jpg After-Icons.jpg Icons-2.jpg

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
They look really good. Might have to do my Frozen headlights, they are a bit chromey for my liking

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
They look really good. Might have to do my Frozen headlights, they are a bit chromey for my liking

The issue for me is that so much chrome in the headlights are what tend to date the car in comparison to newer models. The manufacturers all know it. BMW, Landrover etc. The LCI front end on the M5 has no chrome what-so-ever and although I really like the Icons on the pre-LCI it does look immediately dated in my eyes in comparison to the LCI front end. Getting rid of the chrome makes it look "current".

Always tends to work better on black cars. Your Frozen black E92 would look awesome with it.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
I think it only the desired look for real nerds (read the membership here).

Looks like a pre-LCI with dark lights 😂

Sorry!

I love the fact there’s not actually that many non-comp M5’s on the road and the specific reason I haven’t changed my wheels, as in reality that’s the immediate identifier. All the other bits I’ve done are nerd-like, but front, back, sides, the F90 isn’t menacing in terms of looks, it leaves all the menacing for you to demonstrate behind the wheel…