Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Advice please

treble20

Tyre Kicker
Drives
E46 M3 Vert
The missus Renault Captur (13 plate) has failed the MOT for the last 3 years with this:

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Had it replaced in 2019, then in 2020 after less than 7000 miles (garage replaced free of charge under warranty), then yesterday after just over 7000 miles it fails the MOT again! Garage blamed the quality of the parts, which came from ECP I believe, the first year so went with a different manufacturer the 2nd year, but it's clear something else is wrong. I have told her to take the car somewhere else and get it checked out, which obviously means she won't bother :rolleyes:

Could it be a suspension issue?? It seems fine visually and when driving.

treble20

Tyre Kicker
Drives
E46 M3 Vert
Yes - that's why I've asked the wife to take it somewhere else to be looked at. It's convenient for her to go there but I have said they may be at fault. Ball joints are supposed to be good for 70k+ miles aren't they?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Yes - that's why I've asked the wife to take it somewhere else to be looked at. It's convenient for her to go there but I have said they may be at fault. Ball joints are supposed to be good for 70k+ miles aren't they?

I think regardless of anything specific to the part, it seems fishy and you definitely need to go somewhere else, explain the situation and get a second opinion. Seems too much of a coincidence.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Try and find a reputable indy who can provide some proper analysis. May be worth replacing both front ball joints?

treble20

Tyre Kicker
Drives
E46 M3 Vert
Got it booked in Wednesday with a local garage we use for our work vans so see what they say.......