Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

BMW buys Alpina

RENTAGOAT

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW F31

Surprised it has taken as long as it has, will this mean that pre BMW takeover Alpinas will become even more sort after and will the ownership change make much of a difference or will it dilute and ruin the exclusivity.

With the way the marketing department have put M badges on everything you can but hope there’s more protection and it doesn’t happen here.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS

Surprised it has taken as long as it has, will this mean that pre BMW takeover Alpinas will become even more sort after and will the ownership change make much of a difference or will it dilute and ruin the exclusivity.

With the way the marketing department have put M badges on everything you can but hope there’s more protection and it doesn’t happen here.

I get why BMW are doing it but proper Alpina's will now become a thing of the past I fear. I've never really seen the appeal over an M Car when the M equivalent has the beefed up exterior styling and nicer seats (on the newer models anyway), but I do understand and appreciate what they are and why people like them. I fear that it'll end up just an other badge or trim level like M Sport etc. Hope not.

sahajesh

Test Pilot
Drives
X5 40i M Sport
I get why BMW are doing it but proper Alpina's will now become a thing of the past I fear. I've never really seen the appeal over an M Car when the M equivalent has the beefed up exterior styling and nicer seats (on the newer models anyway), but I do understand and appreciate what they are and why people like them. I fear that it'll end up just an other badge or trim level like M Sport etc. Hope not.
///A

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I have always found that the M versions have always been better looking and more powerful than the Alpinas so they have never appealed to me. I like some of the wheels, but that’s about it.

Am I missing something, is it pecause they are less common, happy to be educated.

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
Cayman 981 GT4, Cayman 987 S, BMW 340i tourer, BMW X3 M40i
It'll be interesting to see where this will go. BMW need an alternative to M in their range. The Motorsport thing means a lot of M cars are too compromised for all round daily use (X3M being the obvious example), and less appealing v AMG, RS or Porsche equivalents, especially with the higher end models and SUVs, and most folk would be much happier in the Alpina equivalent. I've driven a few Alpinas over the years and they always massively impress, especially with every day road use in mind. They're like a BMW that's been developed by Porsche engineers, except without the good residuals.
Alpina could really become the top of the range alternative without the "Track" ability of an M car.

Bibbles

Tyre Kicker
Drives
G31 540i
I have always found that the M versions have always been better looking and more powerful than the Alpinas so they have never appealed to me. I like some of the wheels, but that’s about it.

Am I missing something, is it pecause they are less common, happy to be educated.
I think it a case of horses for courses. I’ve always like the more understated look of the alpina’s over M cars for a daily driver. Although I’d have to make sure the daft white side stripes are deleted. The fact they are tested and developed on roads rather than trying to get the best time round the Nurburgring helps as well. Power, speed and on road poise without compromising ride quality.

PORPMG

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Porsche Macan S
If BMW are not going to preserve what is the essence of Alpina, then there is no point in buying the firm/brand. Full M Sport cars offer performance but many think too harsh/aggressive to be a daily driver. Alpina has offered performance but in a package that is more balanced and makes them ideal long distance touring machines. I just hope BMW expands the sub brand, so they get the increased sales they disserve. that may involve slightly lower prices and a bit less exclusivity