Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

BMW to R8 V10 mk2 thoughts

RustyBitz

Tyre Kicker
Drives
X3M Comp
Hi all,

Hope you are well.

I’m currently in a X3M competition and looking to change in Q4 when the deal ends. I was debating on keeping a fast SUV but after last weekend, I’m thinking of having a daily and a something special. (Last weekend, someone damaged the drivers door in the car park).

I have always been a BMW fan for the last 17 years and the X3M is my first M car. Now, I’m being promoted in work with a significant salary increase I would like to treat myself before being forced to EV.

There’s a couple of 2020/2021 R8s that have caught my eye. If you could share your thoughts positive and negative from ownership that would be great.

Also a couple of questions:
- extended warranty cost
- service intervals
- can any Audi dealership service

Have a good Easter all.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Hi congrats on the promotion Rusty!

I have never owed an R8, but I have driven a few. I actually have a soft spot for the Manual V8?

The V10 is a super car, especially the later versions, and it’s a very good car, I will probably get one at some point because they are much cheaper to run than a Ferrari, and given the Ferrari tax it’s becoming difficult walking around with my pants pulled down.

id get the newest, lowest mileage car you can get in a lairey colour, as it will sell better when you done with it!

@Che has one and can help out I’m sure!

RustyBitz

Tyre Kicker
Drives
X3M Comp
Thanks @boba fett

Definitely agreed on newest and lowest mileage. Quite a lot under 11k just all boring colours.

I actually talked myself out of the R8 this morning but now thinking about it again.

It would require a second car for the dogs and future kids. Thankfully lots of time to decide, even thought M5 competition.

With kids they would destroy anything nice like an M5 or even the X3M Comp. So something basic for everyday and then something special for me on the weekend..

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Sounds like a good plan. I have a lot of love for the R8. I don't do a lot of solo miles so my route is the cheaper weekend toy and the more expensive daily, but at some point that will change and when it does and R8 is my first choice. The look amazing, drive amazing and are pretty much bullet proof. @Che has one as @boba fett mentioned. He pops his end in here regularly so hopefully will be along to provide some proper insight.

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
@RustyBitz congrats on the promotion!
Ive a first gen v10 plus so quite a bit older than you are looking (2014).
Ive never been in a gen2 so not quite apples for apples but I can only assume they are just as good, if not better.
Ive had mine 2 years now and it’s been superb, fault free, hasn’t lost any money in depreciation, sounds incredible and has (touch wood) been pretty reasonable to run.

Oil service at Audi 2021 was £400, plus £195 for brake fluid change.
Oil and inspection service at Audi 2022 was £580 (should have been £700 but I did the cabin filter myself (£20).

Prices have risen I believe now due to good old inflation, this year I’ll be paying;
£450 oil service (Audi)
£207 brake fluid change (audi).

Insurance with mods (capristo exhaust) & GT rear wing was about £400 fully comp.

I really think you should try one, they really are an event. One thing to consider is the facelift gen2 had the filters added to the exhaust so are a little quieter and may restrict aftermarket exhaust options if you want to be warranty friendly.

The only negatives really are the fuel costs (9 mpg if you like to play), you will be paranoid about where you park it and if you buy out of franchise an Audi warranty will start around £1400.

You get a Lamborghini for Audi running costs, I’ve no regrets.
Have a search for reperformance uk on you tube, Ricky is the UK expert for the r8 platform and has some great content along with buying guides for each model/generation.

anything else, just give me a shout 👍
Che