Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

3/4 series Boba's BMW 320d M-Sport Saloon!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Yes I did. The Carbon ones looked shite, but I like the shape of them as they have an M look about them and where a perfect fit, so I painted them gloss black, got to love a bit of recycling!

They look spot on. I always struggle to get a gloss finish without rubbing through some of the paint through to primer. What’s your process?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
They look spot on. I always struggle to get a gloss finish without rubbing through some of the paint through to primer. What’s your process?
Yes they came out well.

I painted these over 2 days so they had time to harden. Its a faff but I enjoy doing it. No need to tell you its all in the prep work!

Heated mancave 30 degrees, Queen size bed sheet stapled to the ceiling to stop spray going everywhere and I use my wife's old nail salon filter for dust capture.

Sand down, fill any stone chips, ending with 3000 grit.
Plastic Primer
Wet sand again.
Gloss black
Laquer
Wet Sand and polish

I am going to do the rear diffuser Gloss black next but bigger items are much harder to do !

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I always read conflicting views about whether you should apply lacquer to gloss black. Did you rub down between the black and the lacquer coat?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I always read conflicting views about whether you should apply lacquer to gloss black. Did you rub down between the black and the lacquer coat?
More buff, but if you have prepped right and not gone on to thick, it should not take much. My experience is if you don't lacquer, the paint is to soft and you can wet sand through to easy! If you lacquer you can wet sand and flat back nicely as its a harder finish.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Yes they came out well.

I painted these over 2 days so they had time to harden. Its a faff but I enjoy doing it. No need to tell you its all in the prep work!

Heated mancave 30 degrees, Queen size bed sheet stapled to the ceiling to stop spray going everywhere and I use my wife's old nail salon filter for dust capture.

Sand down, fill any stone chips, ending with 3000 grit.
Plastic Primer
Wet sand again.
Gloss black
Laquer
Wet Sand and polish

I am going to do the rear diffuser Gloss black next but bigger items are much harder to do !

What filler did you use for stone chips?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
One thing that is really shite on these 320d's is this....

Yes this pathetic little sooty Pea shooter.

So this arrived today...

It got dark whilst fitting, but my god it looks so much better...

Well chuffed !

Senna11

Racing Driver
One thing that is really shite on these 320d's is this....

Yes this pathetic little sooty Pea shooter.

So this arrived today...

It got dark whilst fitting, but my god it looks so much better...

Well chuffed !
Clamped on? Need to modify the rear diffuser?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Clamped on? Need to modify the rear diffuser?

Yes, the tailpipe is just cut off, 2 inch from the back box and this is a perfect fit and just clamps on. You can cut your rear diffuser, which I did (and it came out really well) but I had already ordered a twin pipe diffuser, which I don't need now as the cut one looks perfectly nice!

Senna11

Racing Driver
Yes, the tailpipe is just cut off, 2 inch from the back box and this is a perfect fit and just clamps on. You can cut your rear diffuser, which I did (and it came out really well) but I had already ordered a twin pipe diffuser, which I don't need now as the cut one looks perfectly nice!
What about removing the back box and doing a proper twin exhaust set up - exhaust at each end. Fairly cheap mod.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Have the twin pipe set up and tried to search for larger tips but can’t find any that would fit as the OEM tips are quit close together.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Looks good. Big improvement that. Did you need to saw off part of the existing pipes?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Looks good. Big improvement that. Did you need to saw off part of the existing pipes?
Yes, the tailpipe section 2 inch from the back box. It was a bit awkward doing it on the floor, but the reciprocating saw went through fairly easy.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I fitted the splitter today, gloss black E-Bay item that fits like a clown shoe on a kid, so I do not recommend it. I spent a few hours with a Dremmel, a hairdryer and a file and managed to get it to fit half decent. I then adjusted the pipe so it was nice and snug. So happy.

Not even sure if it looks better or not!!