Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build Boba's BMW E92 M3 Frozen Black Edition

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Guys got my steering wheel turning up anytime soon, it is going to be a bare unit. Has anyone stripped down an E92 DCT wheel and swapped everything over? is it easy?

Ive not done it on an E92 but I know the process is the same as F and G series cars.

After you disconnect the battery, you pop the airbag off by sticking a flat head screw driver into a hole on either side of the wheel that releases one side of the bag at a time and then it’s a bolt that holds the wheel onto a splined shaft.

Bag off, wheel off. Then just start unscrewing everything and swap it over.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Ive not done it on an E92 but I know the process is the same as F and G series cars.

After you disconnect the battery, you pop the airbag off by sticking a flat head screw driver into a hole on either side of the wheel that releases one side of the bag at a time and then it’s a bolt that holds the wheel onto a splined shaft.

Bag off, wheel off. Then just start unscrewing everything and swap it over.

Thanks, I've had the wheels off many times, just wanted to make sure swapping the bits over (paddles etc) was within my skill set, as I did not enjoy doing the Fezza one !

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Thanks, I've had the wheels off many times, just wanted to make sure swapping the bits over (paddles etc) was within my skill set, as I did not enjoy doing the Fezza one !

Best advice I can give you is to take photos as you strip it so you can refer to them when building the wheel back up again.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
New Carbon corner splitters fitted, then a quick wash and CG detailer, then the smallest rain cloud in Kent pasted over
ranting.gif

I am not driving this at the moment, as its booked in to have the rod bearings done and a few other bits.

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
It’s looking very nice. The red callipers against the satin black wheels look great and the subtle contrast between the black alloys and frozen black paint works much better than the standard black on black look you get in non-matt cars. 👌🏻

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
It’s looking very nice. The red callipers against the satin black wheels look great and the subtle contrast between the black alloys and frozen black paint works much better than the standard black on black look you get in non-matt cars. 👌🏻

Cheers, the more time I spend with this Matte paint the more I like it, I can't stop looking back at it !

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
This turned up today. Perfect work by Jack at Royal Steering wheels as usual.

Swapping over everything from my wheel to this was 30 minutes, and it gave me a good opportunity to clean up everything!

Fitted and pleased

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Perfect. I honestly think a retrimmed steering wheel is one of the best things you can do on a used car. The red 12 oclock matches in well with the red stitching. (y)

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Perfect. I honestly think a retrimmed steering wheel is one of the best things you can do on a used car. The red 12 oclock matches in well with the red stitching. (y)

Cheers mate pleased, however, Just went to go out in it for a meal and looks like disconnecting the battery has blown up the Footwell module

Got some big red lights and "Lighting System Malfunction"

No lights, indicators car won't lock. Fvck sake !!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Cheers mate pleased, however, Just went to go out in it for a meal and looks like disconnecting the battery has blown up the Footwell module

Got some big red lights and "Lighting System Malfunction"

No lights, indicators car won't lock. Fvck sake !!

Oh dear. Have you tried clearing the codes with Bimmerlink?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Oh dear. Have you tried clearing the codes with Bimmerlink?
Thats my next thing to do, but needing a dose after a lovely curry !

Ill give it a go with my Autel first.

Interweb seems to point to a fried FRM, common when disconnecting the battery!

Poxy BMW's

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Well it’s the FRM footwell module. Design fault from 2009- 2012. In the USA there is extended warranty on this, and it’s 10 years or under 100k miles. In the UK you get Zip.

anyway

BMW want to have the car recovered to them, diagnose the problem at £110 then once they have found out it’s the FRM they will submit to BMW warranty good will….

The FRM is £509 + fitting + coding to your car+ VAT, if they don’t except some sort of good will gesture.

…..or send off to have it repaired for £100.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
Option 2 sounds sensible to me.

I recall getting the warranty extended just to have the actuators covered (which subsequently did fail and resulted in the car being recovered to the BMW dealership). However, I could’ve just had rebuild.org replace them before failure and saved a few quid.

I’ll say it again - the worst thing about owning these cars is having to engage with the official dealership network.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Option 2 sounds sensible to me.

I recall getting the warranty extended just to have the actuators covered (which subsequently did fail and resulted in the car being recovered to the BMW dealership). However, I could’ve just had rebuild.org replace them before failure and saved a few quid.

I’ll say it again - the worst thing about owning these cars is having to engage with the official dealership network.

It went off in the post yesterday for repair. Apparently its only coding and a design flaw. 50/50 chance of it happening if you either disconnect the battery, jump start the car, run the battery low or put it on charge, with certain models between 2009 and 2012.

It takes out, lights, indicators, windows, central locking, and a few other things.

Under warranty in the USA (oh and BMW main dealer said "the cars are made differently there" What a DIV!) just shows you in the UK what a bunch of pussies we are, putting up with rubbish like this.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
It went off in the post yesterday for repair. Apparently its only coding and a design flaw. 50/50 chance of it happening if you either disconnect the battery, jump start the car, run the battery low or put it on charge, with certain models between 2009 and 2012.

It takes out, lights, indicators, windows, central locking, and a few other things.

Under warranty in the USA (oh and BMW main dealer said "the cars are made differently there" What a DIV!) just shows you in the UK what a bunch of pussies we are, putting up with rubbish like this.

We really do take it right up the arse with cars compared to our American cousins. Just look at Dieselgate and the big fines. The lemon laws they have as well. That is a right pain in the tits Boba. If it were the only car in the household you'd be forced to pay through the nose with the dealer but the option you've taken is a much better solution.

Across every single marque I've owned (apart from Maserati who were really good but charged a fortune for everything) I've had sub-optimal experiences. Just pisses me off that the attention to detail is so poor.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
We really do take it right up the arse with cars compared to our American cousins. Just look at Dieselgate and the big fines. The lemon laws they have as well. That is a right pain in the tits Boba. If it were the only car in the household you'd be forced to pay through the nose with the dealer but the option you've taken is a much better solution.

Across every single marque I've owned (apart from Maserati who were really good but charged a fortune for everything) I've had sub-optimal experiences. Just pisses me off that the attention to detail is so poor.

Indeed. Worse one I know is the Porsche M96 & M97 engine. In the states it was a law suit that got the "chocolate engine" replaced. Here nothing happened and all you could do is have a rebuild done at around £10k.

Anyway got a text, the FRM has been repaired and its on its way back already.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Indeed. Worse one I know is the Porsche M96 & M97 engine. In the states it was a law suit that got the "chocolate engine" replaced. Here nothing happened and all you could do is have a rebuild done at around £10k.

Anyway got a text, the FRM has been repaired and its on its way back already.

Now that’s service!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Today it was into ETA Motorsport at Brands Hatch to have the Rod bearings done. These guys are at the top of their game with anything M.

The good news is they are done and all uprated, the bad news is they did not need to be and have no wear at all
Doh2.gif
The guys even said, this is the first E92 M3 we have done that is showing no wear on the bearings! I think I really expected a yes it was good that you changed them response after spending £1500, but instead it was a nope they are the best they have seen!

Here they are:

Nevermind, you can't put a price on peace of mind
fett.gif