Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Campervans! Talk to me!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Anyone got one? Anyone made one?

The Mrs is quite keen on one of these and likes the idea of touring the North of Scotland with the dog and kids.

I’ve had a look online and there’s a lot to take in, battery systems, water systems, night time heaters etc etc.

The van derived ones look like Glamping and the Motorhome ones look like caravanning.

Anyone got any experience of them?

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
Not used a campervan - but have a caravan. Atleast then i can use the car as normal and dont have to pack up everything to just pop off to the shops, etc. X3M tows it fine!!!

With dog and kids, i would think you would need a big camper - and not a converted van

TodmordenLad

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Currently Mazda, previously many BMW, MB & Audi
Drive one first for an extended test - that'll kill off the idea stone dead 🥴

Bibbles

Tyre Kicker
Drives
G31 540i
Christ no, cooped up in a small van with the kids and dog sounds horrendous for a holiday. Only marginally better than camping but with a £50k entry price. Rent one for a week or two to see if you do actually like it or just spend the money on 10 years of great holidays with the kids instead.

Ennoch

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW F31 335D
The motorhome ones won't win you any favours with the locals up north; fridges on wheels that block roads, drive in the middle of the road on blind corners and take up every lay by come 5pm for their free camping spots. It's a shame that the decent ones get tarred with the same brush as the bad ones but the bad ones are in the majority now that most on the road up there are rented and thus driven by people who simply don't care about their own impact on those who live there. The small converted vans are great because they take up no more space than a delivery van and are a lot more discreet but they're not going to be big enough for a family. Even two of us going away in my mate's one is tight when we have a few days of climbing kit with us.