Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Car Hero's of yesteryear!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I think they look amazing. There’s a guy round our way has one in silver. I’ve only ever seen it drive along at 20-30 mph!

I find it a bit awkward looking in a long bonnet out of proportion way. Good car though, makes some lovely pops and gurgling noises when changing gear and coming off the throttle!

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
Quite agree, I think I have driven some of them more than him, he just likes to tinker more than drive them, but he does have quite a few Supercars as well!

That 935 is nearly finished now, he has thrown 175k at it, its going to be stunning!!

Is that a genuine 935 or a street car conversion from a 911..? I'm not being an asshat here, genuinely interested...

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Is that a genuine 935 or a street car conversion from a 911..? I'm not being an asshat here, genuinely interested...

As far as I am aware, Its a genuine 935 chassis and he has been sourcing all the parts for as long as I have known him. He has commissioned someone now to build it all, and its now ready for painting, its going to be Epic!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Ah, see, there's one of those RS 1600i's I mentioned in my post... The precursor to the XR3's etc that were all the rage back then...

It is indeed with just 7k miles on it! I believe the story is Ford sent an XR3 off to Karmen to produce a special MS car, in the meantime Ford did their own injected version, and even though the RS1600i had twin coils, different injectors and MS headers it produced exactly the same whopping great 115 bhp as Fords lesser developed XR3i.

But the RS1600i looked the bomb inside and out. I had a white one!

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
It is indeed with just 7k miles on it! I believe the story is Ford sent an XR3 off to Karmen to produce a special MS car, in the meantime Ford did their own injected version, and even though the RS1600i had twin coils, different injectors and MS headers it produced exactly the same whopping great 115 bhp as Fords lesser developed XR3i.

extra 10hp on the RSi (or should i say the xr3i was 103hp iirc). One of my pals had one - lovely car.

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive

As I recall it, the RS1600i was a little before the XR3i... and was built as an homologation special to allow race/rally versions to be built up... The 115hp (or so) was pretty fruity for the time... Remember, the turbocharged Sierra RS Cosworth's of 5 years or so later were "only" 200hp..

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive

I believe the RS1600i was a Ford Cologne car from the Motorsport dept... Whereas the XR3 and XR3i came from the road car development teams... I may be wrong, all a long time ago now...

Scoobyd

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW E46 330ci Sport Convertible
Thats lovely - I had one of them, loved it, It was also the first car I had, that had a Clifford alarm that you could start the car remotely!!

Many Panties dropped as a result !!
An old neighbour of mine had the oak green GTi 16V when I was a youngster. Used to longingly look at it on my walk to and from school back then!

Ha the good old Clifford alarms! I had one on my CRX. Always good fun watching people jump when they walked too close to it as the proximity sensor used to shrill at them!!

XAlp

Test Pilot
Drives
Volvo XC90 T6
Also in the family…. another cousin had a black Capri MkII 3.0S, and another cousin a red Alfasud 1.5Ti (and his mate a Talbot Sunbeam Lotus) and another cousin a black Fiat Strada Abarth 130TC. So all those and the white Astra GTE above are amongst my heroes.