Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Colourlock Leather Restorer

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Had this for a while and had a dabble with it but decided to go the hole hog tonight and do the full seat.

Apparently you leave it for 24 hours and then apply their leather protector for a nice matt finish

DCC60AF1-F7D8-4C1D-80C2-C4806F7B5047.jpeg

0B6BA2CD-C211-4131-BC92-B7EE3D382FA4.jpg

Derekh929

Chief Engineer
Drives
F56 JCW & Vintage MTB
That looks like a great result, and transforms the seat, yes matte OEM finish is important for me, heard good stuff about the Colourlock stuff

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
That looks like a great result, and transforms the seat, yes matte OEM finish is important for me, heard good stuff about the Colourlock stuff

Same here. I hate shiny leather. Went for my COVID vaccination in the wifes motor this morning and then refitted the seat before heading into work. It's dulled down a bit since those pics last night but still a bit on the shiny side. Hopefully a nice matt finish when I apply the protector gear.

Interestingly I discovered you can buy a clear matt finishing spray from Colourlock on their trade side. Wonder what that's like...

treble20

Tyre Kicker
Drives
E46 M3 Vert
Be interested to see how it looks when you've applied the protector. Used the Furniture Clinic stuff in the past and it wasn't matte enough for my liking.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Its good stuff, been using it for a number of years. Does anyone remember the SwissVax con, where they charging an obscene amount of money for their branded Colour dye restorer, and it was just re-sticker-ed colourlock product. The Swissvax branded product was about £100 more and they own Colourlock (or the other way round !!)

It can start to flake peel off after a time dependent on how you prepped it, but its easily re-applied.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
@moonstone Did you get round to applying the protector? Any pics?

I did it on one seat but not another. It' still a bit glossy for my tastes. I'm looking into the matt protector spray that they do (which is a trade product). Would need seats out and plastic masked for that so haven't pursued it for the time being.

Senna11

Racing Driver
That’s interesting because I have used the protector on new leather and it didn’t make it shiny.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
That’s interesting because I have used the protector on new leather and it didn’t make it shiny.

The protector itself isn't shiny but the restorer is because you're kind of leveling out the bumpy surface of the leather by applying colour paint over it. Use too much and it builds up into a smooth surface at a microscopic level and this gives you a glossy finish rather than a matt one (rough at a microscopic level). The protector is supposed to then make it more matt when applied over the top but it hasn't really done a good enough job.