Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

E90 v F80 generation M3s... what’s your preferences?

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
Cayman 981 GT4, Cayman 987 S, BMW 340i tourer, BMW X3 M40i
I’ve driven a few of the E92 generation cars and really liked them, but never owned one. I do have a F82 and like it a lot, but for some reason I have a hankering for a V8 one. Probably the 4 door, just for something different. I imagine it would be slower, and you’d need to use the gears more, but I expect the throttle response would be much better, and the steering too.
Would love to hear from those that have had both which they preferred and why? Has anyone gone from one to the other and regretted it?

What do we think is going to happen price wise with the E90 generation? I doubt they will ever go much below £10k like E46 M3s did for a while, unless in really poor condition. I’m guessing they’ll be flat for a little while yet and then start to rise.

M4rkM

Test Pilot
Drives
M4 ZCP
Always been a closet M fan, but they never had enough to make me buy one, until the F82, E92 was such a let down, I think I just much prefer turbo charged engines, against the rest of the world I know!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I've had both, and I would take a V8 all day long, in fact the M4 is a car I will never look back to, I was very disappointed. Its a lovely looking car mind, but its the drive, Mostly, this was the noise, the Turbo throttle response, the ease of the drive and it felt big and cossetted to the point I found it dull. Yes the V8 is slower, but you have to work it and that makes it more exciting, couple that with the noise (its just lovely with an exhaust mod) and the throttle response its just superb, proper crisp and accurate.

I am not in the slightest saying an M4 is a bad car, It just failed to impress me, and I just find it to refined and with its torque to easy to drive fast. For me its more GT car than Sports car.