Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

G80 M3 and G82 M4 reviews have dropped.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Review embargo is finished today. Expect we'll see the reviews this evening. would be good to post some links in here for them when they land.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Car Magazine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Still a bit spiky on the limit. Criticisms of the ZF slush box compared to Porsche PDK and comparison between the M4 and 911 given the new price point.

“The BMW M4 Competition manages to be both an accomplished all-rounder and a flawed, yet brilliantly exciting sports coupe all at the same time. It’s everyday on-road manners and luxuriously appointed cabin are almost beyond reproach. Yet start to press on the and the wave of seemingly limitless power and torque, combined with a veracious appetite for on-the-limit brinkmanship makes it a heart-stopping streetfighter of a sports coupe. And while it may not have the dynamic finesse of the 911 that its now priced so closely with, there’s more than enough reason to drop £80k on one of Munich’s most radical and controversial M cars yet”

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Sunday Times Driving
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Not much comparison between the new and old cars. Some hesitation over it being a daily. Otherwise overwhelmingly positive.

“Both of these cars are just tremendous machines. If you can get past the divisive looks – or maybe even begin to like them – everything you’d want in a fast saloon or coupe is here. Power, noise, balance, control, grip… and did I mention power? There’s the practicality over a sports car, too.

It would be overstating it to say I’d want one of these as a daily driver – they’re just a little hardcore for that purpose, in my opinion, which explains why BMW sells twice as many of the less practical M4 than the M3 – but boy, do I want one as a weekend plaything.

And this could be the time to snap one up, before the tide of electrification reaches these exalted models’ sandy shore, and the scythe comes down on BMW’s beautiful in-line six. You might be buying a piece of history”

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Whatcar
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Another review that mentions that it seems to be easier to live with in terms of ride comfort over the old car but otherwise it seems pretty much the same as the F series comparisons to its launch rivals.

“A brilliant performance saloon that’s far more capable (if not necessarily more fun) than its main rival, the V8-powered Mercedes C63 AMG”​

🟢 Staggering Pace & Grip
🟢 High Quality Interior
🟢 Comfortable Ride

🔴 Mercedes-AMG C63 S sounds better
🔴 Needs to be driven hard to really engage
🔴 Fairly Pricey

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Pistonheads

Some criticism of the ZF box and the weight and size of the thing but they say it’s a far superior car than the F80 both off and on the limit. Easier to live with and confident to deal with. They even question why an XDrive version is necessary with the amount of grip on offer.

“Considered as a mini M5, the M3 is an unreserved triumph - to the extent that it makes you question the need for the larger car. It's immensely fast, brilliant to drive, a joy to travel in (often two separate things) and brimmed with the sort of intangible swagger that only good M cars seem to possess. True, £84k as tested looks mad for an M3, but for the experience offered in return it feels a price worth paying. It's a superb sports saloon for 2021, even allowing for reservations around weight and powertrain. On first experience it appears to tread a nice ground between the thuggish attitude of a C63 and a Giulia's eager athleticism, as well - which is exactly where an M3 should be. Perhaps it's not quite the car we expected, but the rear-drive G80 absolutely delivers.”

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
So far everyone raving about it but everyone lamenting the loss of the DCT box. Have to say the same was true in my RS5. It was a bit more disconnected with the ZF box and Audi's calibration of it was especially bad, resulting in quite a bit of delay at times on kick down.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
I enjoy Chris Harris and consider him a real M fan.

He sums up my thoughts overall. This version will be sought after in time to come, especially when the X-Drive is introduced.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
Thoughts gents?

I like the new M3 quite a fair amount actually. However it has a sense of, well for me anyway, A quick 340i.

The F80 M3 still takes my heart..... for now.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Thoughts gents?

I like the new M3 quite a fair amount actually. However it has a sense of, well for me anyway, A quick 340i.

The F80 M3 still takes my heart..... for now.

I'll be honest. I want one. Or an Alfa...

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I'd like an M4 with those seats in that Dakar'ish Yellow colour. Some Carbon here and there, an Akra, and a remap = weapon. I'd wait for the X-Drive though, as that's best of both worlds. But £75k, I can think of quite a few other cars I would spend that amount on before it go to these!!

So - It will be a few years or so for me though, when the arse has fallen out of them !

treble20

Tyre Kicker
Drives
E46 M3 Vert
Much prefer the M3. Something about the rear quarter of the M4 doesn't look right to me......can't put my finger on what though

JMS

Pit Crew
Love the look of M4. Just don't like the m3 and all those doors..

Think I will be getting one. It looks all round better then my old M4 comp, which I never really found that enjoyable day to day..

Last edited: