Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Is the BMW coding device "Carly" worth it ?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Just wondering if Carly is worth investing in ?

I want to code my mirrors to fold on the remote and was hoping this little OBD2 Wifi plug in will do that ?

Anyone got one, what do you think

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I’ve got BimmerLink and BimmerCode and have also used the the free E series and F series coding tools (NCS Expert and Esys) I’ve never actually used Carly.

With both BimmerCode and Carly you’re paying for convenience but can do the same things much cheaper with the free tools.

I coded the mirrors to fold on my E92 M3 using NCS Expert and all the stuff here:

Ive attached a specific DIY for coding the E6x series using NCS expert and actually found a step-by-step link explaining how to do the mirrors specifoxallychoose to go down that route you’ll need one of these:

If you want to know what’s actually possible with BimmerCode you can see a full list here:

Interestingly I couldn’t see folding mirrors listed. Carly may have a similar list but if not I’d imagine it’s the same as they both work the same way

Good luck!

Attachments

• NCS_DIY for E63_E64.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I’ve got BimmerLink and BimmerCode and have also used the the free E series and F series coding tools (NCS Expert and Esys) I’ve never actually used Carly.

With both BimmerCode and Carly you’re paying for convenience but can do the same things much cheaper with the free tools.

I coded the mirrors to fold on my E92 M3 using NCS Expert and all the stuff here:

Ive attached a specific DIY for coding the E6x series using NCS expert and actually found a step-by-step link explaining how to do the mirrors specifoxallychoose to go down that route you’ll need one of these:

If you want to know what’s actually possible with BimmerCode you can see a full list here:

Interestingly I couldn’t see folding mirrors listed. Carly may have a similar list but if not I’d imagine it’s the same as they both work the same way

Good luck!
Oh man, thanks for the info, but this is where I go all Forest Gump.

Does this mean I need a laptop, have to down load the software, and have to plug it in the OBD2 port and fumble my way through it? To say I am not very good at IT is a bit of a lie, I am actually bloody useless! I have always before driven it to someone and they have done it for me, but would like to be able to do it myself at some point, hence the Carly.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Oh man, thanks for the info, but this is where I go all Forest Gump.

Does this mean I need a laptop, have to down load the software, and have to plug it in the OBD2 port and fumble my way through it? To say I am not very good at IT is a bit of a lie, I am actually bloody useless! I have always before driven it to someone and they have done it for me, but would like to be able to do it myself at some point, hence the Carly.

Carly or BimmerCode is your best bet then. I looked at both and went with BimmerCode as I felt it was better but can’t actually remember why.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I sold Carly and bought bimmercode, Carly is an annual sub, bimmercode a one off and more user friendly imo, it also has an expert mode if you’re brave.

this adapter works well
Vgate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 OBD2... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071D8SYXN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Hi and thanks, that does not mention anything about coding (like coding the mirrors to fold on the key, open other features, change settings)

It looks like this one, but again mentions nothing about coding, just a fault reader:

M4rkM

Test Pilot
Drives
M4 ZCP
Hi and thanks, that does not mention anything about coding (like coding the mirrors to fold on the key, open other features, change settings)

It looks like this one, but again mentions nothing about coding, just a fault reader:

It’s not the adapter that codes though (sorry if I’m picking you up wrong), it’s purely an interface, not all work well with Bimmercode but I use the one I posted above and have coded mine and a couple of friends cars with it :)

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
It’s not the adapter that codes though (sorry if I’m picking you up wrong), it’s purely an interface, not all work well with Bimmercode but I use the one I posted above and have coded mine and a couple of friends cars with it :)
Sorry for having a blonde moment, but what do I need to code my car?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Sorry for having a blonde moment, but what do I need to code my car?

You first download the BimmerCode app onto your smartphone and then you buy a Bluetooth OBD dongle that allows the smartphone app to actually talk to your car.

The app does all the clever stuff. The dongle is just a means for BimmerCode to connect to your car. It doesn’t do anything on its own.

In addition to the one @M4rkM mentioned above, here’s the one I bought:

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 Scanner for iOS & Android, Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scan Tool for Universal OBDII/EOBD Vehicles https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XVQMVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_XyUVpqr8RVghR

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
You first download the BimmerCode app onto your smartphone and then you buy a Bluetooth OBD dongle that allows the smartphone app to actually talk to your car.

The app does all the clever stuff. The dongle is just a means for BimmerCode to connect to your car. It doesn’t do anything on its own.

In addition to the one @M4rkM mentioned above, here’s the one I bought:

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 Scanner for iOS & Android, Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scan Tool for Universal OBDII/EOBD Vehicles https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XVQMVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_XyUVpqr8RVghR
Got it, thanks all, the nail has been finally hit home! which one is better Veepeak or Vgate ?

Is the Bimmercode APP a one off payment ?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Got it, thanks all, the nail has been finally hit home! which one is better Veepeak or Vgate ?

Is the Bimmercode APP a one off payment ?

Don’t think it really matters as long as they work. It really is the modern day equivalent of a cable.

BimmerCode is a one-off payment. I also have Bimmerlink with his handy for diagnostics and is made by the same crew, but it’s not necessary for coding.