Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Is this what cars are going to start to look like?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Cars as we know it, follow a certain form due to necessity. With the most common layout being engine at the front, boot at the back and passenger compartment in the middle, but with electric cars will we see a slow evolution away from this common format?

With electric cars having no need to adhere to this traditional layout going forward, it seems to me that the only reason that most of them still look similar to ICE cars is because the public at large would be too alienated by these cars all suddenly looking very different. So if form follows function, surely over the next few decades, the three box design is going to be a thing of the past? It seems that more and more electric cars are starting to look like people carriers and this is a sensible shape when there's no need for an engine at the front, but are we ready to embrace this?

I think the cars below are pretty handsome in their own right, the Jaguar I-Pace in particular but I'm not sure that I can get passionate about cars that look like a modern take on a Renault Scenic. Question is, is this the design direction that modern cars are eventually headed in, but slowly, so that the public can get used to it?

1652780152665.png

1652780185418.png

1652780218449.png

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Just think about the future possibilities of putting in an electric motor and diff in any car or body shape you like. Would love an MX5 or Clio 182 with a Tesla Plaid drivetrain!

It will happen and it will become cheap to do no doubt!