Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Leather Cleaning

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I've been a Gliptone Liquid Leather man for years but finally moved away from it after realising to use the cleaner and conditioner properly is a bit of a faff and if you don't use it properly you really don't get much a of a benefit. On top of that the conditioner is really just feeding product back into the leather to make it shiny (modern leather is "painted" so you can't get it to absorb conditioner. This seems to be something where info is lacking on car groups).

Then someone recommended Dr Leather Wiipes. These are really good, dead easy to use but only really useful for maintenance in my opinion.

Then a while back I read about folk using Pears Soap. I thought surely this can't be any good? A bar of soap for 99p, this is going to be rubbish. How wrong I was. It is THE best method I've ever come across from bringing leather back up to scratch and restoring a new, matt finish. Results speak for themselves:

Before:

Shiny-Seat.jpg

storage.png

seatsb2.jpg

After:

matt-seat.jpg

seat-plastics.jpg

seatsa1.jpg

seatsa2.jpg

To be fair, I used a steam cleaner as well but I've used this on leather before and the results have been nothing like this. All that was needed was a bar of Pears Soap and a stiff brush with plenty of water. No need to take your seats out the car by the way. I had them out for something else at the same time.

Jigglepuff

Tyre Kicker
Drives
F82 M4
Does it make the leather soft and supple?

I use leatherique which I’ve found to be very good but you have to leave it for quite a while to let it soak in properly.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Does it make the leather soft and supple?

I use leatherique which I’ve found to be very good but you have to leave it for quite a while to let it soak in properly.
It does. When I first read about this I was concerned it would make the leather really dry and rigid but I needn’t have worried.

Senna11

Racing Driver
So what’s the method Derek - create lather and apply with damp cloth and dry off? Re: steam clean is this a light application?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
So what’s the method Derek - create lather and apply with damp cloth and dry off? Re: steam clean is this a light application?
I wouldn’t bother with the steam clean to be honest. I lathered up the soap with some water on a stiff brush and lightly scrubbed in a circular motion then wiped down with a damp cloth.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I find Colourlock leather shield is a great leather protector and leaves that matte look for quite a while. Their leather cleaner is really good too.

Techno

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW 435D
+1 for Colourlock. The combination of cleaner followed by the leather shield seems to work well, better than the Gliptone in my opinion.

DarCol

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW M4 CP / Porsche Cayman (981) S
I’ve always been worried about using stiff brushes on Merino as it’s so soft and scared it would scratch it.
Dakota, being much more durable, I didn’t give a shit about being a bit more aggressive with.
Interesting that the Merino in your pictures has come up so well, good job. 🙂

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’ve always been worried about using stiff brushes on Merino as it’s so soft and scared it would scratch it.
Dakota, being much more durable, I didn’t give a shit about being a bit more aggressive with.
Interesting that the Merino in your pictures has come up so well, good job. 🙂

think the danger is using something that’s too abrasive but as long as you’re not using too much pressure it should be ok.