Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Lighting Project

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I'm experimenting at the moment. As you may have read on my Taycan thread, the car I ended up with didn't have the extended ambient lighting option. Without this spec'd the only lighting you get in the door cards is a white glow in the lower door pockets and inside the cup for the inner door handle release. These are created by a white fibre optic strip powered by a single LED driver.

On ambient-lighting equipped cars the lower fibre optic strip has an LED driver at each end and there's an additional, hidden fibre optic strip that creates a glow effect on the alcantara/leather in the middle of the door (as found on many other cars). The Ambient lighting option is only £300 so I'm baffled as to why it hasn't been spec'd on this car. I'm not so much bothered about the ability to change colours but I'd quite like the additional glow on the doors.

With that in mind I've bought some OEM Porsche LED drivers and some generic fibre optic strip. My plan is to take a feed from the existing drivers in the door card and install the strip in the empty space where the factory ambient lighting strip would be.

Did a bench test last night using a 12v power supply and think this might work pretty well.

E2B27FA7-7975-4472-AFC6-DDABEF88FF0B.jpeg

6959E70A-28B8-40B0-88A7-3A12C5E7259B.jpeg

942F2B42-C376-4A19-82B2-123C9E9AEC4C.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I wouldn’t. It would just be white. I’m after trying to fit it in the recess in the door card and seeing that it wasn’t bright enough to really bother about m, I’ve abandoned it for the time being.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I wouldn’t. It would just be white. I’m after trying to fit it in the recess in the door card and seeing that it wasn’t bright enough to really bother about m, I’ve abandoned it for the time being.
Shame, looks cool.