Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Minimum Hardware for stage 2

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I’m reading conflicting info on this. I’ve never done it before, but reading online the minimum requirement on the TTS at least seems to be sportscat, intake, intake hose and turbo elbow.

But then I’m reading elsewhere that a full exhaust and new intercooler is required.

For example Racingline say this:

But also this:
0675FAF1-0FFB-4AD0-92A1-5AFBD9ACEE37.jpeg

So is an intercooler essential or not?

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Well I'm interested in this!

I was told to get over near, or over 400bhp you need a hybrid Turbo and Cat removal, then once done, you need to be "OK" with paying a bit more for your MOT!!

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
Mine is stage 2 and i have the racingline intercooler, intake, full silicon hose set, turbo muffler delete, full scorpion exhaust with 200 cell race cat (helps with mot pass but the car needs to be hot as f**k to pass) bespoke DSG software and engine map by DH Automotive. I am also running non standard spark plugs and these have to be changed at every 10000 miles.

Car dynos at 411 which is expected with the 200 cell cat.

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’ve just fitted the intake and I’ve ordered the silicone intake hose. I think I’ll get the elbow and then I can get the sports cat fitted and go fro from there.

What down pipe did you go for @Denso ?

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
I’ve just fitted the intake and I’ve ordered the silicone intake hose. I think I’ll get the elbow and then I can get the sports cat fitted and go fro from there.

I got the full system from Scorpion exhausts. The guys their are great, worked with them on other builds in the past,

5A1DF815-4FF4-442B-A6D3-305BCA392038.jpeg

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d

can you let me know what intake and pipe you have bought Stone?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
can you let me know what intake and pipe you have bought Stone?

I bought the RacingLine 600 intake with cotton gauze filter which I fitted last night. Quick easy job. Ive also ordered the matching Racingline Silicon intake hose but that hasn't arrived yet.

After having my ECU and TCU updated to the latest OEM software by @YorkshireSouthWalesVAG I had to get Superchips to do a new stage 1 map for me. So I stuck that back on as well. Car sounds fantastic. If you're not going for an exhaust system the best thing I can recommend for this car is a resonator delete. My car sounds better than the M5 did and it only cost me £300. With the intake it now sounds even better and I imagine with a Turbo Muffler delete it'll sound better still.

@Denso whats the story with the Race Cat do you need find a friendly MOT station I take it?

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
I am told it should pass once hot, i will find out on the 9th March.

Denso

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
What do you do then? Thrash the arse off it and drive it right into the testing bay?
I think it just needs to be up to full temperature, at least thats what i have been told By others running the same set up. Fingers crossed it goes ok or i will need to find that friendly MOT tester.

Denso

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
So just to confirm mines running 360 on a dyno, and is just stage 1 and for around 400bhp you need Downpipe, air intake, and de-cat? My tuner said its really hard to get one through an MOT if its been de-catted, and that's why I have not bothered pursuing?

The Turbo muffler looks like a trinket mod rather than doing anything given the reviews?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Superchips quotes about 350 but it’s quite mild till you get into the middle of the rev. range. Revo and APR give more kick from earlier on I believe.

The turbo muffler has openings that disrupt the airflow into the turbo so that the turbo noise is reduced (but some of the airflow escapes). The delete kit directs all of the air straight into the turbo so it plays a part from a performance point of view when you’re upgrading the intake and intake pipe and elbow, but it also makes the car sound more aggressive.

As far as I’m aware you need more air coming in and out of the turbo so that means intake and wider hose and sports cat/de-cat as a minimum.

You can fit a bigger charge pipe, muffler delete and elbow to help get more air in and a bigger intercooler to further reduce the temp of that air. This is my understanding so far but I’m learning as I go because I’ve never really looked into it before.

Re. the cat, it’s cheaper to de-cat but then you’ll 100% fail an MOT. Sport cat is around 200 cell vs 400-500 stock so doesn’t do away with it entirely but still gives a performance gain and is (apparently more MOT friendly).