Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build Moonstones F90 M5

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
Im on one but it seems very american-centric. whats the actual link?

Yanks everywhere, but certainly many UK owners across the two below.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Well the ceramic brakes got a good work out today. I nearly had a full-collision on the motorway whilst taking my youngest to her football match.

Some idiot in the inside lane of a two lane slip road decided to pull out right in front off me without checking his mirrors before veering across two other lanes on the motor way and across the chevrons in the process. I really didn’t think I was going to stop in time.

Decided afterwards that today was good day to refit my dashcam to the new motor.

The battery fits perfectly in place next to the car battery and stuck my wifi-hotspot in the boot for always-on cloud connectivity. Nice t job.

E56DE2C0-DB18-40C8-92DB-463015E2F938.jpeg
84A2385B-FB5E-419D-A18A-D9EAAA8B0DFA.jpeg

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
OK, I know this is not my build thread, but just installed the carbon grilles and there was a request to show the car, so thought I'd update.

Interesting, if nothing else, to show the differences in carbon on black versus grey...

So, the grilles were bought second hand and covered in PPF. I was disappointed upon arrival, as they looked stone chipped to death.Tried heating the PPF, but it started to peel, so whipped it off and underneath, they are pretty decent, so the PPF did its job to be fair. Oddly though, my grilles don't have any stone chips, but there you go.

The last pic is a bit old, but only the reflector deletes missing and maybe prior to carbon side blades, but just to show most of the carbon. Pic 2 just gets the Sterckenn lip in shot.

Grille.jpeg

Grille 2.jpeg

Rear End.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
OK, I know this is not my build thread, but just installed the carbon grilles and there was a request to show the car, so thought I'd update.

Interesting, if nothing else, to show the differences in carbon on black versus grey...

So, the grilles were bought second hand and covered in PPF. I was disappointed upon arrival, as they looked stone chipped to death.Tried heating the PPF, but it started to peel, so whipped it off and underneath, they are pretty decent, so the PPF did its job to be fair. Oddly though, my grilles don't have any stone chips, but there you go.

The last pic is a bit old, but only the reflector deletes missing and maybe prior to carbon side blades, but just to show most of the carbon. Pic 2 just gets the Sterckenn lip in shot.

View attachment 1177

View attachment 1178

View attachment 1179

Keep them coming mate. I don't mind sharing! Are you running spacers? Also I notice quite a few cars with the wee mud-guard type strip on the rear arches. Mind doesnt have it so looks like its been taken off at some stage.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Spacers are 12 front, 10 rear I think, but no lowering. Stud conversion too. Maybe 15/12 - can’t remember 😂

The arch lip is a manufacturer compliance requirement and never seen the need to remove to be fair.

Roundels from Ind plus I got sake for wheel caps. Silly pricing but wanted them and the front one has lacquer failure I need to fix - would recommend.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d

View attachment 1177

View attachment 1178

View attachment 1179

Lovely, lovely car, however, I am not a fan of the grills in carbon, and this is the problem with it sometimes for me, It can start to look Green and aged. I prefer gloss black for this reason.

I am hoping it might just be the pictures!

Last edited:

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Lovely, lovely car, however, I am not a fan of the grills in carbon, and this is the problem with it sometimes for me, It can start to look Green and aged. I prefer gloss black for this reason.

I am hoping it might just be the pictures!

I am with you mate, you can have too much, but looks good in real life and as fresh as a daisy - the OEM MP stuff is great.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I am with you mate, you can have too much, but looks good in real life and as fresh as a daisy - the OEM MP stuff is great.

I looked at a Black CSL a few months back (just wanted the rarer one, not really why I did not go ahead buying it) but the carbon roof against the black looked green and old. I think its all about how you protect it against the elements, UV protection is very important. My E92 roof is holding up well and I have just replaced the Carbon add on's for new so the old girl is looking pretty fresh!

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
I looked at a Black CSL a few months back (just wanted the rarer one, not really why I did not go ahead buying it) but the carbon roof against the black looked green and old. I think its all about how you protect it against the elements, UV protection is very important. My E92 roof is holding up well and I have just replaced the Carbon add on's for new so the old girl is looking pretty fresh!

PPF is great, but these looked tatty in my opinion, so off it came!

We don't keep cars long enough to worry about anything looking old though :ROFLMAO:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
PPF is great, but these looked tatty in my opinion, so off it came!

We don't keep cars long enough to worry about anything looking old though :ROFLMAO:

I know, most say I mint, and do up all my cars for the next person to enjoy !

Fun for me, is mostly in doing them up though
drinks.gif

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Spacers are 12 front, 10 rear I think, but no lowering. Stud conversion too. Maybe 15/12 - can’t remember 😂

The arch lip is a manufacturer compliance requirement and never seen the need to remove to be fair.

Roundels from Ind plus I got sake for wheel caps. Silly pricing but wanted them and the front one has lacquer failure I need to fix - would recommend.
My space bar is playing up, so every post has errors.

Just wanted to point out that should have said I wouldn't recommend IND.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
My space bar is playing up, so every post has errors.

Just wanted to point out that should have said I wouldn't recommend IND.
I quite like the look of them, subtle but noticeable - I've just bought a couple of snides off the Bay and ill do them myself.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
I quite like the look of them, subtle but noticeable - I've just bought a couple of snides off the Bay and ill do them myself.

Chrome has no place on an M car.

Still, not a fan of snides.The OEM are cheap enough to have a go yourself, but each to their own and all that.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Chrome has no place on an M car.

Still, not a fan of snides.The OEM are cheap enough to have a go yourself, but each to their own and all that.
I'm not a fan either, some of the stuff is shocking, badge wise though and copies, they have pretty much cracked it, you really can't tell the difference if you buy the right snide.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I bought a shadow chrome M6 badge from IND and it started flaking but they replaced it without any quibble and the next one was fine. Thing is, it's not rocket science, any decent painter can do it for you if they're attention to detail is good enough.

Personally I don't mind chrome on badge elements especially on a black car. Door handles, grilles etc are a big no-no for me. But I watched this video last night for example and thought the Chrome M4 badges against the frozen black paintwork looked awesome. Actually now thinking of putting a chrome M5 badge on the back of mine:

Frozen1.jpg

frozen2.jpg

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Agree with the badges to an extent, especially on a black car.

Truth is, the side blades and front grille M5 badges are chrome in any case.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Agree with the badges to an extent, especially on a black car.

Truth is, the side blades and front grille M5 badges are chrome in any case.

Correct. Which is something I think is a bit strange on earlier Competition packs across the range. I swapped out for all black badges on my Audi but I think the black looks good against the grey.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Correct. Which is something I think is a bit strange on earlier Competition packs across the range. I swapped out for all black badges on my Audi but I think the black looks good against the grey.
Think you misunderstood.

I’ve swapped out the chrome grilles and side blades, for black and then carbon, but all versions have the M5 lettering in chrome.