Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build Moonstones F90 M5

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
Thanks mate. I’m torn between matte silver and matte black.

It's the only interior carbon I have, so happy with the choice I made, but out of those two I'd go matte black as they're not small and for me, silver 'stands out' way too much.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
It's the only interior carbon I have, so happy with the choice I made, but out of those two I'd go matte black as they're not small and for me, silver 'stands out' way too much.

That’s what I’m leaning towards. I like the G80 OEM ones but I don’t want to go for carbon this time. The silver ones might clash with the steering wheel trim and it looks like the matte black ones have a shine to them that makes them a bit more than just boring black. They’d also contrast with the silver on the wheel.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
It’s a handsome car this but it definitely could be doing with wider arches ala RS6/RS7. Even the E63 has wider arches at the front but the M5 just has the same arches as the standard 5 series. Definitely a sleeper compared to the M3 so it doesn’t turn heads the same way and in my opinion it’s a much stronger looking car from the rear than the front.

FDC307A2-675D-413F-9783-483B21A7F1DC.jpeg

With my COVID isolation ending yesterday I’ve been out driving the car on my own a fair bit. I can see what the reviews mean about the steering. This is a big car and that coupled with the lack of direct steering feel that you find in the M3/M4 means you don’t quite feel as confident about what’s going on with the handling. It seems unflappable but it reminds me of my RS5 - sticks to the road like glue but leaves you slightly disconnected.

The speed of the thing though. My god, it just pulls and pulls. It’s a rare thing to actually get to enjoy the extremes of this cars abilities. Two incidents today I thought I was going to crash just because of other stupid drivers not looking in their mirrors. One wasn’t directly concerning me, but a car pulled out in front of a van on a dual carriage way and I thought the van was going to pull out in front of me to avoid it.

This is very much the first Jekyl & Hyde car I’ve ever had though. Everything else has still really wanted to GO even in comfort/efficiency settings. Whereas this is genuinely like two different cars. In terms of just cruising around with the family in tow, it’s comfortable and spacious but when you fancy a thrash, it’s only a button press away.

The sound-deadening in the car is too good to be honest. The exhaust sounds much better on the outside!

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
To be honest, like all the German Uber cars, they are to good, they just hide speed, sound and to a degree there mass. Makes them a little boring as a toy, however, as the only car you would ever need, they just can't be beaten. I know it goes against the grain with an M5, but for me, if it just had subtle flared arches, it would probably be my next car.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
100% agree and I can accept the F90 being a fast 5 series, but think they should do a version a more aggressive look. If they had done it for the CS, I would have had one in a heartbeat, but a few gold bits just didn't do it for me.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Yup totally agree. The styling could just be doing with being a bit more aggressive. The bonnet on the CS helps, but that's about it apart from the gold tat. Nothing there that you couldnt do yourself. As you say @boba fett if only the arches were a bit more swollen. It would be perfect then.

It's interesting that the man who designed this is the same guy who designed the G80/G82! It's clear that he must have had two very different design briefs.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
I do like that mate.

Got a link or DIY?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I do like that mate.

Got a link or DIY?

Here you go.

The part number is 51128055967. So you might be able to get it cheaper from Cotswolds or LLLParts.

Now there’s two things you should know if you’re going to do this. The badge is slightly bigger than the standard M5 one. I think it’s for an older version like the F10 perhaps and the spacing between the M and the 5 is a bit wide so I reduced it by 2mm to get it to look right.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Replacement part

Yeah the drivers door trim, centre console trim next to the iDrive and the gear knob all had a scratch or two. Think a previous owner wore a loose watch or bracelet. Replaced the scratched pieces with new ones.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Is this a keeper Stone?

Honestly? I’m not sure.

With my last three cars I’ve felt that they’re so fast that that there’s really not that many opportunities to fully explore the top of the power band and this thing takes that conundrum to a new level.

As a bonkers-fast luxurious cruiser it’s peerless to anything else I’ve ever driven but I’m just not sold on the understated looks. I think that’s the biggest complaint for me.

Everyone else seems to be in awe of the thing and every comment made implies that I’ve reached the “apex predator” class of motoring.

Personally, once I’m sitting in it, it ticks every box but it doesn’t tug on my heart strings when I look at it like the RS5 did for example.

It looks great from the back but the rest is a bit weak in my eyes. A bit more fettling should hopefully sort that. Especially with the headlights.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
I can't disagree.

The time you will want to keep it is when you realise you have the fastest 4 door production saloon available and match that with its understated looks.

I don't think it ticks the sexy box. In fact there is no sexy option on the survey!

I chose this because it was fast, cheap (compared to RRP), reliable, big and luxurious, with a great European network. Looks did not feature.

That said, you can get it looking better than stock.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I can't disagree.

The time you will want to keep it is when you realise you have the fastest 4 door production saloon available and match that with its understated looks.

I don't think it ticks the sexy box. In fact there is no sexy option on the survey!

I chose this because it was fast, cheap (compared to RRP), reliable, big and luxurious, with a great European network. Looks did not feature.

That said, you can get it looking better than stock.

The positives are many and there’s a reason why almost universally it’s lauded by the reviewers.

But when you look at the RS6/RS7 I can’t help think that the boys in Munich missed a trick with the exterior styling.

On the saloon front, the E63 is the better looking car from the front in my eyes but the M5 is the best from the rear. Out of all of them, although it has the most traditional layout I do feel the interior in the M5 is by far the best.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
If I can get it looking like this I’ll be happy.

Bit too low and the wheels are 22s. I wouldn’t go that far on either but the headlights look tremendous.

D9776F31-10A3-46CD-B118-DD07CA012296.jpeg