Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Moonstones Lapiz Blue Golf R 2015

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Had this before my M6. Very moddable car and great for what it is. I think if I'd opted for the DSG I'd have kept it longer! No longer have the car obviously but thought I'd share the stuff I'd done to it whilst I had it.

Spec
Jan 15, Lapiz Blue, Manual, Leather Seats, DCC and Winterpack. 18,500 miles. Paid £20,500 from a Ford franchised dealer. Seems they didnt know the car had the last two options on it. Neither did I until after I paid the deposit.

Stock

IMG-1160-thumb-JPG-f457cc5f3fffda8a570d77d8a59089b7.jpg

Crappy seat base (bolster collapsed inside the leather)

IMG-0622-thumb-JPG-d3a1a30183c9d44fca099f5153f86864.jpg

...mid machine polish with DAS-6, 3M Perfect it and Hexlogic pads.

5918cc6404276-download-1-thumb-png-9935977187c2c9bc8ea0553a562fae0e.png

Prep
On delivery, the first thing I did was stick it in the garage and spent the next two days giving it full detail and machine polish to get rid of the swirls and various flaws on the paintwork. That night I wrapped the upper matte-chrome grill strip as well. Booked the car into my local VW dealer for a new seat base and replacement sill plate under warranty and these were sorted without quibble. Other than that the car was perfect when I got it.

Discover Pro
The car came with Composition media and I had already looked into upgrade options. Originally looked at the Alpine touchscreen system specifically for this car but on seeing YouTube videos of it in operation I decided against it. The touchscreen looked to be extremely laggy and there was no integration for the Nav with the MFD. So I bit the bullet and ordered a Disco Pro MIB2 from ebay. Took a bit to get it coded as the latest version of VCDS wouldn't associate the required ROD file due to the difference in VIN between the Disco Pro and my car. Amazingly, they looked at the issue and patched a brand new Beta release of VCDS for me within a week. Amazing service. So the Disco Pro is now properly coded with the correct options. You can read more about this on my thread here:

VCDS
There are various resources on the web about the different things you can do. I must admit there are somethings that in my opinion can be done but shouldnt (Pace car hazards = Good, Pace car indicators = Bad). In particular a fellow R owner coming onto a roundabout recently had the front indicators-always-on mod done and to me it looked like he was indicating to come round the roundabout before I realised that his indicator wasn't actually flashing. Stupid mod, destined to cause an accident or road-rage in my opinion. I've done most of the recommended ones such as five-brake-lights, brighter DRLs, dimming DRL when indicating, increase instrument cluster brightness during the day etc.

Black / Chrome & colour changes
Thought the car could use a little contrast so ordered and fitted red badgeskins to the R badges. Did the blades on the sides as well but thought it was too much so removed them again. Removed the wrap on the upper chrome grill strip and replaced the chrome mirrors with black ones. I also wrapped the collar that sits behind the VW roundel on the front grill.

A few weeks ago I changed the wing mirrors to gloss black ones. But today, with the change of wheels and everything else, I thought the car might suit the original matte chrome ones so swapped them back and I like it better, especially with the blue bodywork. (in the first pic below you'll see that the roundel collar hasn't been wrapped either)

Black mirror caps

Photoshop-thumb-jpg-149d62b3d0f60a13b38f5b036f6e0f02.jpg

...and back to chrome

14th-May-5-thumb-jpg-aff40d2dec3e9b566d73ba8c7039d981.jpg

Wheels
I opted for 19" GMPItalia Atoms in Polished/Anthracite. These are basically a third-party rip-off of the current version RS6 wheel but have been tweaked enough to avoid a copyright claim. These have transformed the car quite frankly and now I feel that it turns as many heads as my other motor. I have ordered 11mm Forge spacers for the rear. If I were to do it again I would have split the offsets with ET45 for the front and ET35 for the rear instead of ET45 all round but at least I can rotate the wheels to help lengthen tyre life. Whilst the wheels were off I took the opportunity to paint the brake-disc bells with silver Hammerite (after taking a wire brush to the surface rust).

Splitters
Having done a fair bit of research on these it seems the front splitter from many manufacturers is prone to breaking or snapping off with the wind etc. The Maxton Design ones look great in my view but did get some fairly strong criticism from various members on this site, but it seemed to be from those who are running lowered and heavily tuned cars. Since I don't plan to lower the car or go any further than stage1 I thought I take a chance on them. Delighted with the results. Surprised to discover that they're just a single sheet of ABS with no bottom side to them but it doesn't make any difference when they're on the car. Liked the kit so much that I later ordered the matching diffuser and fitted that shortly after. In regards to fitting these are all bolted or screwed as well as glued. I made a point of following the fitting guide for the front where it recommends that the bolts are as far forward as possible and plenty of glue is used.

Side and rear splitters plus diffuser

14th-May-3-thumb-jpg-667f423671580a4797c7c0644ab58020.jpg

Front and side splitters

14th-May-2-thumb-jpg-d9288d01a60e8a89cbe2a5942c3ba80e.jpg

14th-May-4-thumb-jpg-8775ee26912db36174f00a7fac308d3f.jpg

IMG-1111-thumb-jpg-041052e28ce277423563588ad164812a.jpg

14th-May-1-thumb-jpg-eb8c63e5b76fea9f9d24ae89342321e0.jpg

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
RGM sill protectors fitted. Not as bling as the Lockwood but better to showcase the existing brushed sill strips IMHO and Forge 10mm Spacers fitted with McGard Wheel nuts. Unfortunately the McGards don't play nice with the VW lock nut covers so will need to sort something out there...

IMG-1164-thumb-JPG-4758cee55cc2231c445fe41a7899355d.jpg

IMG-1165-thumb-jpg-2925ee422e3523a0cc843408b9efae37.jpg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Alexretrofit - Discover Nav Pro

My car has MIB1 Composition Media.

I ordered a Discovery Nav Pro from Alexretrofit on ebay and it arrived on Friday. I did the swap on Friday night and it was relatively easy and a straight swap apart from a couple of easy changes to connectors for the new USB connector. (Alex took photos and send instructions on Whatsapp)

Alex supplied the Nav, New trim and USB connector as a complete kit for me. Component Protection already removed and everything works perfectly. VCDS is required to enable options such as DAB etc. Only other thing I needed was a set of VW radio keys which I got for a fiver from Amazon.

My only issue is that the VCDS cable that I borrowed doesn't seem to have the required files to code. What I need to do is get an Ethernet to USB dongle (specific one from ebay) and Alex can code these options back in remotely for me.

If anyone is thinking of going down this route, I highly recommend him. The guy is an absolute legend and gives plenty of help and support after purchase. There was a unit for sale that was priced cheaper from Moldova, but I couldn't even get straight answers from that seller about basic questions, never mind any installation support, so it was worth paying a bit more to him. You get what you pay for!

For anyone else that's interested:
https://www.facebook.com/vwretrofit/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/alex-retrofit

IMG-0721-thumb-JPG-b673b06d24fa6f6381abfb2fd5c20ff9.jpg

IMG-0723-thumb-JPG-e3ee14853ae88a09018f37d92dac8803.jpg

IMG-0724-thumb-JPG-e79f8f0b5dc01091ddbc3d283ba72cd1.jpg

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
Lovely Derek, always have a soft spot for an r golf, especially in blue :)

here’s my old one, lovely car at the time but Christ it was thirsty to say it wasn’t that quick! (lovely noise mind).

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I really want to like these, and I am trying - but god they are boring !!