Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build Moonstone's R8 V10+

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
That makes all the difference. Should be standard.

Love it!

Ps - its crying out for black wheels ;)

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I've been quiet on progress for the R8 for a while because I've had a bit of wrangling going on with Audi. Firstly with my local dealer and with Audi CS but it's finally all getting sorted out.

The long and short of it is that the car has been in and out of my local dealer to investigate an intermittent fault that I suspected is one of the cam shaft adjusters sticking. This results in a timing issue and potentially is an engine-out job to fix. Local dealer had it in and out over the course of 4 months and basically said they couldn't find a fault. Even though the engine ECU kept logging fault codes in relation to it. I escalated it to the Dealer Principle and Audi CS. Both of which where absolutely useless. The worst experience I've had with any dealership for any car I've ever owned. They charged me for a warranty excess for a claim that they never submitted due to them swapping a part that didn't solve the issue and they had no clear diagnostics path to prove or disprove the fault. They just kept saying that they couldn't find anything wrong, despite the emissions light keeping coming back on and the ECU logging the same fault code.

In the end, I waited for the fault to re-occur and took it to a different dealer (same group). I was lucky enough to be introduced to their Workshop Foreman who is an absolute legend and an R8 expert. He'd diagnosed the fault within 2 days, had warranty authorise the work and I should have the car back, all-sorted for this weekend (they had it for a month). I kicked things up the chain to the exec office, as in addition to the above, there was issues with the previous service they did on the car (invoice showing wrong oil used - the workshop foreman I'm dealing with noticed this and made the other dealer pay for a new oil change just so the paperwork was correct), and they messed up the service on my wife's car as well (did the a minor instead of a major).

Upper management were really good. Refunded me everything I'd ever paid and agreed to do the correct service FOC.

So all going well, I should have the R8 back in time for the weekend. All sorted and everything paid for under warranty. My seats are still at the trimmers, nearly finished and I should get them back on Friday. I'd removed and dropped the side pieces into the bodyshop before I went on holiday and these are done and awaiting polish, so with some luck I'll fit my new seats at the weekend as well.

On top of all that, I'd ordered a honeycomb front grill which has just arrived today. I'm going to mod that slightly. It has a large blanking piece behind the honeycomb which is currently finishing in matching gloss black, but it doesn't look right, so I'm going to remove that, paint it matt black and refit it before putting it back on the car. That way, it'll be a proper contrast between the gloss honeycomb and the piece behind it.

I'd also manufactured some brackets that anchor the new wing on the spoiler to the chassis of the car, so this has eliminated any wobble - unlike the one I had on the TT. Was a nice wee project this and well worth doing.

Next things on the slate are to have the dash cluster cowl and door cards retrimmed, to match the rest of the interior.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I've been quiet on progress for the R8 for a while because I've had a bit of wrangling going on with Audi. Firstly with my local dealer and with Audi CS but it's finally all getting sorted out.

The long and short of it is that the car has been in and out of my local dealer to investigate an intermittent fault that I suspected is one of the cam shaft adjusters sticking. This results in a timing issue and potentially is an engine-out job to fix. Local dealer had it in and out over the course of 4 months and basically said they couldn't find a fault. Even though the engine ECU kept logging fault codes in relation to it. I escalated it to the Dealer Principle and Audi CS. Both of which where absolutely useless. The worst experience I've had with any dealership for any car I've ever owned. They charged me for a warranty excess for a claim that they never submitted due to them swapping a part that didn't solve the issue and they had no clear diagnostics path to prove or disprove the fault. They just kept saying that they couldn't find anything wrong, despite the emissions light keeping coming back on and the ECU logging the same fault code.

In the end, I waited for the fault to re-occur and took it to a different dealer (same group). I was lucky enough to be introduced to their Workshop Foreman who is an absolute legend and an R8 expert. He'd diagnosed the fault within 2 days, had warranty authorise the work and I should have the car back, all-sorted for this weekend (they had it for a month). I kicked things up the chain to the exec office, as in addition to the above, there was issues with the previous service they did on the car (invoice showing wrong oil used - the workshop foreman I'm dealing with noticed this and made the other dealer pay for a new oil change just so the paperwork was correct), and they messed up the service on my wife's car as well (did the a minor instead of a major).

Upper management were really good. Refunded me everything I'd ever paid and agreed to do the correct service FOC.

So all going well, I should have the R8 back in time for the weekend. All sorted and everything paid for under warranty. My seats are still at the trimmers, nearly finished and I should get them back on Friday. I'd removed and dropped the side pieces into the bodyshop before I went on holiday and these are done and awaiting polish, so with some luck I'll fit my new seats at the weekend as well.

On top of all that, I'd ordered a honeycomb front grill which has just arrived today. I'm going to mod that slightly. It has a large blanking piece behind the honeycomb which is currently finishing in matching gloss black, but it doesn't look right, so I'm going to remove that, paint it matt black and refit it before putting it back on the car. That way, it'll be a proper contrast between the gloss honeycomb and the piece behind it.

I'd also manufactured some brackets that anchor the new wing on the spoiler to the chassis of the car, so this has eliminated any wobble - unlike the one I had on the TT. Was a nice wee project this and well worth doing.

Next things on the slate are to have the dash cluster cowl and door cards retrimmed, to match the rest of the interior.

Looks like R8’s have a fair share of issues mate.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Looks like R8’s have a fair share of issues mate.

I've had to change the alarm horn unit, aircon controller, V Belt tensioner and now the Cam adjuster. The Cam adjuster is quite rare, there's only a couple of documented instances of this problem online so I've been unlucky on that one. The other bits have been fairly cheap to sort and are quite common. Couple of them are things that I've had to look for in order to sort that previous owners have probably over-looked or not bothered about. Just all part of being a perfectionist that wants to make the car flawless to be honest.

Thankfully I've not had any major issues, just a collection of minor ones. Last few owners of this car had it for a fairly short period of time, which again is fairly common on these, but I do think it's meant that it's not been in the hands of someone like myself who has the same attention to detail and level of care. I learned when hunting for one of these that there's a fair few poseurs who have bought them and not spent any money on them.