Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Build Mrs Moonstone's Range Rover Sport

Doing a build thread? Highlight it!

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
RRS isn’t the most luxurious ride. It does feel a bit sporty so you do feel bumps etc. That’s on 21s. So I’ve no doubt that road feedback will be even more pronounced on 22s but I do feel they look a bit small now especially with the kit on.
What does everything think of deployable side steps. Gimmick? or must have?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
What does everything think of deployable side steps. Gimmick? or must have?

Personally I like the tech involved and seeing them in action but from an aesthetic point of view I prefer the fixed steps as they add a lower line along the bottom of the car that helps it look a bit less floaty. Makes a big difference with the kit I put on mine as the lower line on the side ties in with the lower down bottom on the new front end.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I think so too.

Boba what's the deal with warranty. Do you have a LR warranty? worth it? thoughts?

Nothing more flash than walking up to your car and the side steps pop out!

We bought our sport privately, the equivalent car from LR was around 5k more! We have had LR warranties before, and they are a very nice piece of mind.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
WOW - that looks great, need more info please stone on both screens, where to get, cost, and ease of fitment please?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
WOW - that looks great, need more info please stone on both screens, where to get, cost, and ease of fitment please?

I did the top screen shortly after getting the car. Bit of a minefield that one and a ballache. Essentially, its an android powered unit that reads CANBUS info. Not unlike the BMW ones. The difference with this one is that you need to remove a PCB from the original headunit and plug it into this one. It has Carplay built in and goes back to the factory reversing camera/parking sensors when needed so that's all we use it for really but, you can plug in a sim card, use any android app etc. If you're interested in more info then Google "L494 Merryway" and you'll find a few threads on a couple of different forums. I paid around £1000 but it's now available for around half that figure.

You can still fully use the original car system which sits on a layer behind the new one, Ie you press the "HOME" button and the OEM system pops up.

Things have moved on a bit since I got that unit and there are now copies of the facelift infotainment available that work the same as above but have the adjustable tilting screen same as the latest OEM. Only downside is that it takes about 60 seconds to boot up when you start the car. Fitment is tricky and not for the faint-hearted.

This thread has pretty good info about the pro's and cons: https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/10-25-android-head-unit-for-l494-range-rover-sport.338391/

And here's a link to the unit for sale: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32880929708.html

The lower screen is a replacement for your aircon controls, again just like the OEM facelift. This is what I fitted yesterday. It also shows you what drive mode the car is in when you turn the drive-mode knob (albeit a bit laggy). Everything works as per OEM and you can choose between light and dark backgrounds (without auto night/day switching). It also has a SYNC button which means you don't need to go into the heating controls on the main head unit just to sync.

Unlike the upper unit, it pops up after only a few seconds when you switch on the ignition. Fitting isn't too bad either.

I paid around £400 delivered from a seller on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003610542578.html

The listing is a bit confusing as they sell both systems, but I only purchased the Aircon unit option from them. Also the new, titling upper unit they sell needs a new dashboard trim (as you'll see) but these seem to be all LHD so I'm not sure if they are available in RHD form. My main unit follows the form of the updated tech in the pre-facelift so no new dash trim required other than the glossy black frame that sits around the screen (which came with it.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I did the top screen shortly after getting the car. Bit of a minefield that one and a ballache. Essentially, its an android powered unit that reads CANBUS info. Not unlike the BMW ones. The difference with this one is that you need to remove a PCB from the original headunit and plug it into this one. It has Carplay built in and goes back to the factory reversing camera/parking sensors when needed so that's all we use it for really but, you can plug in a sim card, use any android app etc. If you're interested in more info then Google "L494 Merryway" and you'll find a few threads on a couple of different forums. I paid around £1000 but it's now available for around half that figure.

You can still fully use the original car system which sits on a layer behind the new one, Ie you press the "HOME" button and the OEM system pops up.

Things have moved on a bit since I got that unit and there are now copies of the facelift infotainment available that work the same as above but have the adjustable tilting screen same as the latest OEM. Only downside is that it takes about 60 seconds to boot up when you start the car. Fitment is tricky and not for the faint-hearted.

This thread has pretty good info about the pro's and cons: https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/10-25-android-head-unit-for-l494-range-rover-sport.338391/

And here's a link to the unit for sale: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32880929708.html

The lower screen is a replacement for your aircon controls, again just like the OEM facelift. This is what I fitted yesterday. It also shows you what drive mode the car is in when you turn the drive-mode knob (albeit a bit laggy). Everything works as per OEM and you can choose between light and dark backgrounds (without auto night/day switching). It also has a SYNC button which means you don't need to go into the heating controls on the main head unit just to sync.

Unlike the upper unit, it pops up after only a few seconds when you switch on the ignition. Fitting isn't too bad either.

I paid around £400 delivered from a seller on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003610542578.html

The listing is a bit confusing as they sell both systems, but I only purchased the Aircon unit option from them. Also the new, titling upper unit they sell needs a new dashboard trim (as you'll see) but these seem to be all LHD so I'm not sure if they are available in RHD form. My main unit follows the form of the updated tech in the pre-facelift so no new dash trim required other than the glossy black frame that sits around the screen (which came with it.

Thanks Stone really appreciate the time you have taken, I think Ill leave the top unit but I love the bottom unit, so I will order that. Thanks and as you say hoping fitting is not to bad!

I think this year, we will be upgrading to a newer facelift version, probably 2018 onwards, and she wants Red this time.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
It seems like I'm Mr Brakes at the minute. After finally curing the brakes on the M5 with the Porsche caliper piston inserts, it was time for the Rangey to get dealt with. I fitted new rear pads a couple of weeks ago and have been chasing a "Brakes Worn" warning ever since. Changed the wear sensors front and back, checked connections and everything was fine. Ran a diagnostic using my GAP Tool (https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/) and there was quite a few errors about low voltages on various modules so I began to suspect the battery.

Low and behold a trip to Euro Car Parts to pick up a new one and after fitting and coding it's right as rain. Forgot what the Stop/Start icon looked like because the battery has obviously been shagged for a while. Original battery on an 8 year old car so can't complain.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Service time…. Major service required so all filters and oil change. Plus MOT.
Landrover dealer - £630.24 + £54.85 for the MOT
Local Indy who sorted the Turbo - £249 inc. MOT and brake fluid change.

I think it’s time for this car to leave the dealer network behind….

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Service time…. Major service required so all filters and oil change. Plus MOT.
Landrover dealer - £630.24 + £54.85 for the MOT
Local Indy who sorted the Turbo - £249 inc. MOT and brake fluid change.

I think it’s time for this car to leave the dealer network behind….

Are you enjoying the TTS Stone, I have been looking as these !

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Are you enjoying the TTS Stone, I have been looking as these !

I am. Very much so. I lent it to a mate for three weeks (I was on holiday for two of them) and realised how much I missed it when I got it back. I'm working on some interior bits this week. Think the exterior is pretty much done for the time being. With the resonator delete and the remap, it's pretty quick and makes some good noises too!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Well the RRS is no more. It’s getting chopped in for a new Q5 on Saturday. The Mrs has decreed that it’s a bit too big for her. I’m also mindful that the warranty runs out next month (at a cost of £1900 to renew) and at 8 years and 80k miles it’s getting on it bit.

I’m not convinced on the replacement but it’s what she wants…

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Well the RRS is no more. It’s getting chopped in for a new Q5 on Saturday. The Mrs has decreed that it’s a bit too big for her. I’m also mindful that the warranty runs out next month (at a cost of £1900 to renew) and at 8 years and 80k miles it’s getting on it bit.

Oh mate, that is one SUV I am not keen on, really can't gel with the looks of them, but happy wife and all that !

tb10

Tyre Kicker
Drives
FFRR Supercharged

Hi Moonstone. As requested! I did get the verification question wrong though "Who is the Prime Minister of the UK and I put "Riishi Sunak" ......... Apparently, it's still Liz Truss according to the site bots!!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Hi Moonstone. As requested! I did get the verification question wrong though "Who is the Prime Minister of the UK and I put "Riishi Sunak" ......... Apparently, it's still Liz Truss according to the site bots!!

Think we need to change that question all together. Can’t keep up with them!

I've dropped you a PM. Let me know if you can see it. Don't think there's any restrictions on here.

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Oh mate, that is one SUV I am not keen on, really can't gel with the looks of them, but happy wife and all that !

I actually quite like it. It’s also loaded with the latest tech but it still feels like a downgrade to me in terms of luxury and quality. It also feels like you’re sitting in it rather than on it like you are in the Rangey.

There was a lovely Q7 for sale down the road that I was pushing her towards but I was overruled! Merc and BMW didn’t even get a look-in. She’s an Audi fan girl!