Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

My M5

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
As is customary, members tend to show their current car and this is mine, a 2018 built F90 M5.

Registered n September 2019, I collected with 4 recorded PDI miles as a stock car. It was fully loaded and in my choice of colour, both inside and out. I wrestled with the Comp/non Comp as many do, but with both before me, I made my choice and this is it.

Dechromed within milliseconds of ownership, then adding M-Performance carbon over the first few months to get what is currently the perfect car for me. It's covered just under 14,000 miles, which were mainly pre-lockdown and I've been tootling about on one of my bikes the rest of the time, weather permitting.

It is a big car and you do notice that. Many say you can chuck it around corners like an F80 and others before that, but i still enjoy it most on long winding stretches rather than hairpins. It eats the miles and you get everywhere extremely quickly, in sublime comfort, whilst listening to Val Doonican pumped through the Bowers & Wilkins as loud as your eardrums will permit.

Is it the best car I've ever owned - no. Is it the best 4 door saloon in production - for me, yes.

I signed up here a while ago and lurked for a bit to see if I thought I'd like it here and it seems to have a complete variety of members with a huge mix of cars, so hopefully I'll enjoy browsing and posting from time to time. The problem with the F90 is once you've seen one, they're all much of a muchness, so won't ramble on, other than to say thanks for taking the time to read this post and also for posting your own stories, which I've enjoyed so far.

M5.jpeg

Derekh929

Chief Engineer
Drives
F56 JCW & Vintage MTB
That’s lovely, I have yet to go out in one, next door to me has one , but with lockdown and that not been out a run in it yet, they are some machines

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
What a stance!

Are you running spacers? It looks perfect?

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
What a stance!

Are you running spacers? It looks perfect?

Yes, 15 front and 12 rear. Enough without going silly, but it needs them.

That’s lovely, I have yet to go out in one, next door to me has one , but with lockdown and that not been out a run in it yet, they are some machines

Get it out for a spin!

My mate drove mine and it isn't too pleasant as a passenger though :p

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
Really love these.

One of the best colours too. Very nice.

Enjoy in good health bud.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Looks great. Singapore grey? Sterkenn lip?

Yes and yes.

M-Performance only made corners for the front end, so Sterckenn created something to 'fill the gap', as well as AC Schnitzer and a few others made full lips. I bought the lip first and always expected to add the corners, but just stopped there as I quite like the look. The Sterckenn is less pronounced than the AC. The LCI now has a full lip option.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Not a fan of the CF corners, think they look odd. Like the understated look and outrageous performance of these cars. Bruiser in a sharp suit.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
I do wonder how BMW will top the f90 M5.
Obviously they’ll add a huge grill and put a bonnet on it with indents rather than bulges, but how will they beat the performance and poise of this M5.
They are fantastic.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
I do wonder how BMW will top the f90 M5.
Obviously they’ll add a huge grill and put a bonnet on it with indents rather than bulges, but how will they beat the performance and poise of this M5.
They are fantastic.

I think the move towards electric and general save the planet thinking will mean it won’t be topped and probably already intended to be the last version, so with a very recent LCI, personally I don’t think the range will continue.

I can’t help but think the radical change LS to the new 3 and 4 series has design elements to suit the future rather than the immediate present.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I think the move towards electric and general save the planet thinking will mean it won’t be topped and probably already intended to be the last version, so with a very recent LCI, personally I don’t think the range will continue.

I can’t help but think the radical change LS to the new 3 and 4 series has design elements to suit the future rather than the immediate present.
I’m not so sure given how polarising the feedback has been. If it was about getting a design noticed then job done but I cannot honestly say that those large grilles appeal aesthetically. Brave or foolish design change? Time will tell.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Lovely car, stunning in fact, this is what I would do to a boring out of the box M5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Thanks, but I wouldn’t say the F90 is boring out of the box.

Last edited by a moderator: