Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

New Tesla Model S comes with a steering “yoke”

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
The updated Tesla Model S comes with a steering yoke instead of a wheel.

74650616-8A13-4842-BEBE-CAF8647E7057.jpeg

What is Elon Musk smoking? Everyone knows that outside of a track car with a mega-quick rack, something like this on the road is a bad idea.

Apparently it’ll predict your steering inputs according to camera and sensor info providing data from the road ahead. Is this the beginning of the end for proper manual driving?

One thing that sounds more interesting is that the latest “plaid” power train version will see this motor do 0-62 in 1.99 seconds! £110k though...

C18E105E-862F-4F6D-9113-A8CD43B11803.jpeg

71A5E6FA-AB33-470C-BC7F-6DBA029563F1.jpeg

Rear screen is pretty cool though.

StuartK

Chief Engineer
This is exactly how I've been describing them since they came out! I like buttons and stuff!

The iPad central control are their downfall. When driving they are the most useless thing in the world. I am surprised more have not crashed in them due to this. That said the voice control is so good I never used the screen.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
The future... change is good, I like change

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
The updated Tesla Model S comes with a steering yoke instead of a wheel.

View attachment 395

What is Elon Musk smoking? Everyone knows that outside of a track car with a mega-quick rack, something like this on the road is a bad idea.

Apparently it’ll predict your steering inputs according to camera and sensor info providing data from the road ahead. Is this the beginning of the end for proper manual driving?

One thing that sounds more interesting is that the latest “plaid” power train version will see this motor do 0-62 in 1.99 seconds! £110k though...

View attachment 396

View attachment 397

Rear screen is pretty cool though.
Plaid is circa 1100hp. Which is total bonkers!

I really wish they did a complete overhaul of the exterior. I feel it deserve the kind of looks to match its cutting edge tech.

Although this all being said build quality is not great. Given its the model 3 in question and nit the s.

But still.

https://insideevs.com/news/484256/model-3-trunk-lid-water-leak-uk/

Senna11

Racing Driver
Awful innit. All that’s missing is a paper plate with Swedish meatballs on it.
Think they have missed a trick and could have been more creative rather than a giant touchscreen which surely must be a safety hazard. Never use the touchscreen in my car.
For a premium priced product the fit and finish is found wanting. Remove the Tesla badge of the 3 model and is it an attractive car?
Performance and range do set the benchmarks at the moment.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
Think they have missed a trick and could have been more creative rather than a giant touchscreen which surely must be a safety hazard. Never use the touchscreen in my car.
For a premium priced product the fit and finish is found wanting. Remove the Tesla badge of the 3 model and is it an attractive car?
Performance and range do set the benchmarks at the moment.
Agree the interior could look prettier. However the draw of tesla is not the battery tech per se. As improvements in range can be found with alternate fuels such as hydrogen going forward.

The key draw to tesla, is the autonomous driving tech. Hence the lean towards large screens inside. The need for a driver to keep their eye on the road, so to speak, is less of a requirement.

Given that current E.U laws do not allow for full autonomy, however when they do, whilst you will find some of the legacy manufacturers are not too far behind, you will still find tesla to be at the top of that pile.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Agree the interior could look prettier. However the draw of tesla is not the battery tech per se. As improvements in range can be found with alternate fuels such as hydrogen going forward.

The key draw to tesla, is the autonomous driving tech. Hence the lean towards large screens inside. The need for a driver to keep their eye on the road, so to speak, is less of a requirement.

Given that current E.U laws do not allow for full autonomy, however when they do, whilst you will find some of the legacy manufacturers are not too far behind, you will still find tesla to be at the top of that pile.
I think the early advantage they have/had on autonomous tech will narrow very quickly as most manufacturers catch up. Great charging network though.

Schmeel

Test Pilot
Drives
997 Hartech
I think the early advantage they have/had on autonomous tech will narrow very quickly as most manufacturers catch up. Great charging network though.
Yes, entirely possible.

I would love that. As going forward in the next 2 to 3 years, I would like one old school motor and 1 high tech family wagon. Be that tesla or from a legacy manufacturer.