Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Ordered a Model Y

StuartK

Chief Engineer
Having now owned an EV since Feb and 6k miles ish.
I can confirm it is fantastic and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to run especially when London comes into the equation.
The ONLY real/huge issue is charging points being queued for especially at busy weekends.
Where Tesla have been cleaning up is you pull up, plug in and all sorted.
I pull up, hope no fooker is charging, if they are wait 30+ minutes sometimes longer for my turn, then charge. All in all adding two hours to my return journey time.
Note to self. Don’t be a tight ass and buy a Tesla.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I can confirm it is fantastic and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to run especially when London comes into the equation.
The ONLY real/huge issue is charging points being queued for especially at busy weekends.
I pull up, hope no fooker is charging, if they are wait 30+ minutes sometimes longer for my turn, then charge. All in all adding two hours to my return journey time.
That’s what put me off other EVs as the charging structure just isn’t there yet. Also the efficiency per KWh tends to be behind Tesla at the moment.

TimMcC

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Hopefully you'll have some relief soon. A number of hubs opened up last year, with loads on the way this year. Depending where your usual travel routes are, if you can pass near a hub you'll not have much of a wait even if they're all full.

I came very close to queueing for the first time in 3 years last weekend grabbing charger 6/6 at Amesbury!

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
@MashinBenzin
Do the newer Discoverys have the auxiliary park heater fitted?

Previous gens came with a separate Webasto fob from which you could get the car to start warming up the cabin before even unlocking it. This can also be programmed from the onboard screen.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I was sat in a model Y last Saturday and had a play around with it. Design and features like the dual wireless charging pad in the centre console are very neat. That screen is amazing and I actually think it's quite a handsome car in the metal. Especially with the rear haunches.

But, I personally thought it was a hateful thing to sit inside. Spartan to the point of being like an empty shell. When I sat behind the wheel the first thought that popped into my head was "This is the death of motoring!"

I think Tesla are definitely on to something with the tech and features but the simplicity of their interior design is the major hurdle for me. I'll reserve my full opinion until I finally drive one because maybe that evaporates when you drive it, but first impression, for me, is a hard "no".

Senna11

Racing Driver
I was sat in a model Y last Saturday and had a play around with it. Design and features like the dual wireless charging pad in the centre console are very neat. That screen is amazing and I actually think it's quite a handsome car in the metal. Especially with the rear haunches.

But, I personally thought it was a hateful thing to sit inside. Spartan to the point of being like an empty shell. When I sat behind the wheel the first thought that popped into my head was "This is the death of motoring!"

I think Tesla are definitely on to something with the tech and features but the simplicity of their interior design is the major hurdle for me. I'll reserve my full opinion until I finally drive one because maybe that evaporates when you drive it, but first impression, for me, is a hard "no".
You do wonder where all your money goes when you buy one. There are better interiors elsewhere.

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
I think the ipace will be a nice place to spend your time, very comfortable and quiet. Y will win easily on efficiency and I know which I would rather take on a long journey until the Supercharger network opens up despite the Jag being the nicer place to be (non Tesla UK infrastructure is still years behind other European countries). As said it really depends on what matters to you in a car and what type of use you need it for. Used ipace was a bit of a bargain a couple of years ago but seem to be keeping their price now, like everything else.

He currently has an i4 M50 demo to try for a week. Havent asked him much about it but he did say he thinks he prefers the iPace for everyday driving (he can charge at work so range not currently an issue...)

They are off to Derbyshire this weekend and whichever EV he has will be going too, so lets see how that goes. No charger at destination (this place....https://www.the-cattle-shed.co.uk/) so it will be granny charger or find a place to charge on way back after a long fun weekend!

I can see him letting someone else have the Tesla and keep the iPace until his i4 m50 arrives - he never did cancel the order when he ordered the Tesla, will always find a home in the fleet!

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
You do wonder where all your money goes when you buy one. There are better interiors elsewhere.

Probably on the tech and battery efficiency.... if it was all about interiors then we'd all be in Audi's or good old British cars like the Range Rover!

saltyamigo

Tyre Kicker
Drives
S Box.
Although slower most reviews seem to prefer the edrive 40 to the M50 and the range would be quite a bit better. The BMW will certainly beat the Tesla in some areas.