Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Police and number plates.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
So I have been driving around with no front plate on the front bumper, albeit the plate in the windscreen clearly visible. I got pulled up yesterday (The Special police officers was waiting for me to leave Tesco car park for around an hour and where parked up on the exit) I had a hunch they where waiting, but I thought no they can't be !!

So they pulled me straight away, and said the number plate should be on the front of the car blah blah... I knew the risk here, anyway £100 fine. What got me was that he is also saying my number plates are unlawful as they have not got the required postcode of the manufacturer registered with the DVLA and the British standard on them. He admitted my plates where legal font and spacing and as such legally displayed but did not have these markings on them and are as such Unlawful. Another £100 fine. I am going to do some research on this. The Cuntstable appears to be affectionately known as Policeman plate apparently, as that's all he spends his time doing when working as a Special in his free time.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
Not worth the hassle for me mate to be honest.

He has you on both points - the number plate is a show plate effectively and not in accordance with DVLA regulations so will attract a fine. I wouldn't have shown the plate, then there would have only been one fine.

If you continue, have a compliant spare in the boot, but don't mention it unless they threaten to tow the car!

The window isn't a reasonable excuse and sometimes makes them pull you more in my opinion.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Not worth the hassle for me mate to be honest.

He has you on both points - the number plate is a show plate effectively and not in accordance with DVLA regulations so will attract a fine. I wouldn't have shown the plate, then there would have only been one fine.

If you continue, have a compliant spare in the boot, but don't mention it unless they threaten to tow the car!

The window isn't a reasonable excuse and sometimes makes them pull you more in my opinion.
It was the one on the back that did not have the BS standard or Postcode.

Senna11

Racing Driver
He could have just had you for no plate on the front and verbally told you about the rear. Of course Tesco carparks are a well known hotbed of crime.....

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Fair cop then mate.
I will admit to chancing my luck with the front plate and that's fine (even though it could have genuinely fallen off) But the BS standard on the plate is just unnecessary and in this case the BS stands for something else! If anything his Volvo Police car was the unroadworthy one as it had damage on the front wheel arch and trim and lining missing exposing the rivets on the front. Probably less pedestrian friendly as a result.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Lol.

I'm not disagreeing with the way you feel, but the plate wasn't legal in accordance with DVLA requirements, so the copper chose to enforce that.

I have a really handsome willy, but if I walk down the high street with it out, plod will arrest me.

It's rules mate.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Lol.

I'm not disagreeing with the way you feel, but the plate wasn't legal in accordance with DVLA requirements, so the copper chose to enforce that.

I have a really handsome willy, but if I walk down the high street with it out, plod will arrest me.

It's rules mate.
That made me chuckle (y)

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
So I have been driving around with no front plate on the front bumper, albeit the plate in the windscreen clearly visible. I got pulled up yesterday (The Special police officers was waiting for me to leave Tesco car park for around an hour and where parked up on the exit) I had a hunch they where waiting, but I thought no they can't be !!

So they pulled me straight away, and said the number plate should be on the front of the car blah blah... I knew the risk here, anyway £100 fine. What got me was that he is also saying my number plates are unlawful as they have not got the required postcode of the manufacturer registered with the DVLA and the British standard on them. He admitted my plates where legal font and spacing and as such legally displayed but did not have these markings on them and are as such Unlawful. Another £100 fine. I am going to do some research on this. The Cuntstable appears to be affectionately known as Policeman plate apparently, as that's all he spends his time doing when working as a Special in his free time.
Unfortunately he is correct on the postcode and BSI mark. Mine don’t have them either but it’s unlikely you’d ever get pulled on that alone. Where is the proper place to mount the plate on the fezza exactly?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Unfortunately he is correct on the postcode and BSI mark. Mine don’t have them either but it’s unlikely you’d ever get pulled on that alone. Where is the proper place to mount the plate on the fezza exactly?

Most I have met up with run the risk without a plate to be honest, but apparently its being clamped right down on. Some I have seen put them in the middle and screw them in as it does not have a holder.

The bumper is so curved that it won't bond on with double sided, and if you did it would not stay on for long.

I have found this, and might run with it..!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Doesn’t look too bad but the car does look much better without. Can’t do a sticker plate?

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Are they legal, where would you put it, bonnet or bumper

Legal using correct background material/colour and relevant markings.

To me, they only work on short numbers right in the middle of the bumper.

On a bonnet they look gash and would rather drill the front and use a normal plate.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Legal using correct background material/colour and relevant markings.

To me, they only work on short numbers right in the middle of the bumper.

On a bonnet they look gash and would rather drill the front and use a normal plate.

I'll give it ago, my plate is 4 digit so it should fit in the gap and look ok.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
I ran a car for years without a front plate. Drove it out of HR Owen like that and sold it back to them years later still without it. I guess I was just lucky to not get pulled over, although I remember plenty of friendly chat with the Police when I used to be out and about in it.

As The Revenant has mentioned, the only method to use is stick on in the middle.
That non-screw option you’re looking at seems to block that central air channel completely.