Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Private number plates

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I have been looking for a semi decent plate for my 320 the ceiling being £1500. I have got a few on retention but they are more car specific XX CSL and M3 XXX, which just wont work on the 320 I have been looking around and my god there is some proper rubbish, especially on E-Bay, and the prices they are asking are shocking.

For example WTF are these...

I mean there are worse, this was on the first page !

We also have a special Traffic Cvntstable round are way, that will pull you for any number plate issues, and I got £100 fine for not having the post code and BS standards on it !

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
I have been looking for a semi decent plate for my 320 the ceiling being £1500. I have got a few on retention but they are more car specific XX CSL and M3 XXX, which just wont work on the 320 I have been looking around and my god there is some proper rubbish, especially on E-Bay, and the prices they are asking are shocking.

For example WTF are these...

I mean there are worse, this was on the first page !

We also have a special Traffic Cvntstable round are way, that will pull you for any number plate issues, and I got £100 fine for not having the post code and BS standards on it !

You know I like my plates and I like quirky without having to change spacing etc. Who cares if the outside worls don;'t know what it 'means', it's personalised!

I paid loads (for me) recently for an auction plate I just liked the look of and weirdly, people who know me have just said 'nice plate', but haven't tried to 'work it out'.

Agree with current pricing though - mad!!

A little coincidence...

Bought the M5 new two years ago and reg was PE 69 FH*

Bought a new bike a month ago PE 71 FH*

Same plate, two years apart - SPOOKY!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
You know I like my plates and I like quirky without having to change spacing etc. Who cares if the outside worls don;'t know what it 'means', it's personalised!

I paid loads (for me) recently for an auction plate I just liked the look of and weirdly, people who know me have just said 'nice plate', but haven't tried to 'work it out'.

Agree with current pricing though - mad!!

A little coincidence...

Bought the M5 new two years ago and reg was PE 69 FH*

Bought a new bike a month ago PE 71 FH*

Same plate, two years apart - SPOOKY!

That's uncanny indeed. I agree the plate can be meaningless, but it needs to look right. Some just really look the part. That's what I am after, does not need to mean anything to me or the car, and come sale time, when no longer needed, i'll get my money back.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Love my plate, bought it a few years ago and it’s held it’s value well. And is not a BOSS plate before you jokers start!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Love my plate, bought it a few years ago and it’s held it’s value well. And is not a BOSS plate before you jokers start!

Same here. It has sentimental value as my wife bought it for my 30th birthday. It's a short plate which I really like on a car as well.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
I do like the shorter plates, 3 and 3 seem to look just right to me. Mines a 4 and 3 though dating from 1980 which I picked up earlier last year. Number plate always fascinate me, I seem to be good at remember them too right from being young!

DVLA are crafty buggers though, especially with their auctions. They keep releasing plates that are nearly identical with a number different.

Local to us someone has 'U 2' That must be worth a fortune 😬

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
There’s a few 2 or 3 digit playes near me in cars that are worth a fraction of the plate itself.

I’ve got a 3 and 3. My wife bought it for my 30th birthday (loooong time ago) and I’ve had it on every car ever since.

I got a matching one after my wife’s 40th and she’s never forgiven me for ten year difference in digits.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Someone I know bought his wife one ending in 'XXX' thinking it was Kiss Kiss Kiss. How wrong was he 🤣

It's quite easy now to transfer them, it used to be a nightmare years ago.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Someone I know bought his wife one ending in 'XXX' thinking it was Kiss Kiss Kiss. How wrong was he 🤣

It's quite easy now to transfer them, it used to be a nightmare years ago.
I remember, used to have to put a note in the windscreen as to why no tax disc

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I had 69 LEE. Bought it when I was 19. Sold it when I started to go grey, and the wife said you can’t pull it off anymore my darling! It was a great investment!

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
I have my surname (spelling slightly out!) which is technically my sons but he doesnt have a car, and my wife had M30 SAL from the kids for her 30th, M for Mum, and Sal , well you can probably guess her name. Been on retention for 6 years now and probably should do something with it, but cant bring myself to and yet dont really want to see it on a car that isnt hers..... My daughter has name and initials and 55 as her birthday is 5th May!

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
I have my surname (spelling slightly out!) which is technically my sons but he doesnt have a car, and my wife had M30 SAL from the kids for her 30th, M for Mum, and Sal , well you can probably guess her name. Been on retention for 6 years now and probably should do something with it, but cant bring myself to and yet dont really want to see it on a car that isnt hers..... My daughter has name and initials and 55 as her birthday is 5th May!
I hope you do something with it. I'd like to think it's a little part of her that would remind you of her every day when you're on your travels (I'm sure you think about her every day anyway) and i'm sure she'd want you to keep it. I'd certainly hope that my OH wouldn't not use mine on future vehicles.

sahajesh

Test Pilot
Drives
X5 40i M Sport
I used to have S22SKP, on retention now and I doubt I’ll ever use it again.

I chose it as the car it was going on was bought on 22 Sep, but the main reason was it looked nice/kind of symmetrical.

Current plate looks normal but has meaning to me.

SkyJawa

Test Pilot
Drives
F30 335d
Private plates make so much more sense when it’s for the owner not the model or brand of car, for the owner you keep forever, for the car it’s only decent for a few years

RENTAGOAT

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW F31
I was never bothered about private plates or ever really considered one until an uncle talked me into accepting one as a gift. I ended up with B6 WEP as it was in my allowed budget, it was nice and short and had my initials.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Private plates make so much more sense when it’s for the owner not the model or brand of car, for the owner you keep forever, for the car it’s only decent for a few years

That's true, but I am a sucker for a car based plate as well, I suppose its not a waste as you will normally get your money back, its just a ball ache changing it before selling!

Blacktemplar

Pit Crew
Drives
X3 M40i
Mine is my month/year of birth and my initials. Nothing really standout but it means something to me and will stay with whatever I can afford to run in the future now Vlad's little incursion into Ukraine has sent petrol prices through the roof..... probably an electric scooter 🤣

sahajesh

Test Pilot
Drives
X5 40i M Sport
I saw X5 BMW a few years back in Manchester, it’s been transferred to a newer model.6E9FD6CD-C6B0-4462-8B9E-6E48B90BE85A.jpeg

sahajesh

Test Pilot
Drives
X5 40i M Sport
Also saw this on the M1 a few weeks back.

It must be horrible waking up every day and totally forgetting what car you have…..

Attachments

• 776DEE69-5991-4915-8912-0CFAB9C809FC.jpeg
    776DEE69-5991-4915-8912-0CFAB9C809FC.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 4