DEUTSCHESPEED.com Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and more

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Smart Motorways that aren’t very Clever

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
F90 M5
UK delays more all-lane smart motorways for five years https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59956911

I can’t think of anything worse. What sort of desk bound complete nobhead came up with this gem?

Never understood this. How can it possibly be safe to have a Motorway without a dedicated hard shoulder? Human error and technology can't react fast enough to shut down an entire lane when a car is in trouble. It's been nothing more than a money saving exercise at the expense of human lives.

JMS

Test Pilot
Aren't smart motorways no different to dual carriageways as in multi lane, no hard shoulder and traffic travelling at 70Mph.

While I don't have a view either way on them I don't quite understand the difference between a motorway without a hard shoulder or a dual carriageway. Well apart from motorways have a few more lanes. But Same potential out comes if a breakdown ect. Maybe worse on dual carriageway as normally no matrix signs.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
I might be wrong, but I’m used to seeing dual carriageways with traffic lights on them, roads turning off them, roundabouts, lay-bys, houses even… but motorways generally having a lot more faster moving traffic where drivers aren’t expecting to slow down for the next set of lights, or the person in front of them turning off onto a residential street.

JMS

Test Pilot
I might be wrong, but I’m used to seeing dual carriageways with traffic lights on them, roads turning off them, roundabouts, lay-bys, houses even… but motorways generally having a lot more faster moving traffic where drivers aren’t expecting to slow down for the next set of lights, or the person in front of them turning off onto a residential street.

Oh ok not seen dual carriageways like that very often. I use the A12, A34, A303 a lot and they are very fast rounds with no hard shoulders, very few laybys and certainly no traffic lights..

So guess there is a mixture of dual carriageways around the country where motorways are pretty much the same.

Senna11

Chief Engineer
Having used smart motorways I can see the benefits but the rescue areas are too far apart and unless you have a rapid response unit that can lay traffic cones within 1 minute of a breakdown then they need to do more analysis and engage with motoring public.

Reactions: JMS