Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Stick or Twist?

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
It's that time :unsure:

Bought the F90 M5 brand spanking new and now approaching its two year birthday. I've added cosmetic additions only and looked after it like an only child. Yes, it has a few blemishes, but overall it really is pretty mint, with just 16k on the clock.

Now, two years is long for me and although I really like the car, it feels odd keeping it past the 24 month ownership window.

So, this is where I am...

• Keep it and spend nothing apart from consumables
  • Keep it and add a few sexy bits (MP wheels/MP suspension etc)
  • Upgrade to new LCI
  • Sell and buy something completely different (new)
  • Sell and buy something completely different (used)
  • Buy a weekend car to fill a gap (£20k max)

My plan was not to owe any money at two years, so upgrading to a new LCI , or any other new car would involve some borrowing (let's not debate why, that's just me) and if selling, the completely different used car would have to fall into the price I sell the M5 for, so £50-55k ish. @boba fett this is a problem started by you and that bloody RS6 🤣

This is no different a predicament than anyone to be fair, but I like posting and sure many of us are in this merry go round. I'm not a car 'nerd' and have no mechanical ability - I just like a nice car. Some days I want a Lambo, others I am buying a 20 year old LWB Shogun because I'm tired of having so much invested in something I don't spend as much time in these days.

Only my arse has sat in the M5 and I know it inside out, which is leaning me towards keeping it and I have a years warranty left. But another year, warranty costs, not cheap servicing and consumables, road tax, insurance, etc etc.

Anyway, I just needed a rest following a thorough engine bay clean, so it's a Sunday ramble and not a 'what car' thread, more a life choice thread...

Unknown.jpeg

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Christ! firstly sorry :)

Secondly, that car you have is a very hard act to follow. Its an everything car and one of the best at that.

Thirdly, what makes it so unique and so special, is only you know how every mark, blemish has happened and how its been driven all its life. No secondhand car will be the same.

I would take into consideration that depreciation is, and will, still take place, however, if that's not a driver for change then that does not matter, and the only real viable alternative to your car is sadly an RS6, both to similar in performance, but the RS looks better ;)

Its easy to say what I would do as I have done it, buy a toy to compliment it, something that you really only want to drive for a couple of hours every now and then, just to get your kicks, then the M5 is everything else and kicks as well. I would get something that's fun, something you have to work for in its performance and most of all buy something that will appreciate so it makes perfect financial sense as well.

Fourthly, you can always ignore me, :cool: but enjoy it, car thoughts and research is lovely place to be.

Goodluck mate.

Last edited:

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Thanks Boba. That thought process was me when I bought it, but we do get bored don't we...

I didn't buy cash, but got thirty grand off the price and killed myself to be debt free after 24 months. The madness in values mean I've 'lost' fifteen grand, plus the cost of finance, which has worked out better than expected, but Covid prices will likely calm down. It is predicted in PCP deals to be worth £35k ish at 4 years old, so that's another £20k or so depreciation from now.

Your answer is where my mind is at currently, in keeping it, but I need a tyre change, so man maths says I may as well have new wheels with tyres included for not that much more when you look at it. These would give me possibly enough to keep the flame burning for a little while longer...
Unknown.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Get the wheels.

The problem with getting bored with a car no matter how good it is (something many of us here are guilty of) is that you run the risk of changing to something that, in the end, you don’t like as much. I got a bit lucky in my last move as I down-sized to an older cheaper car but ended up liking it better.

BUT Im also a victim of the new-car-fever that Boba is spreading around 😜 and I’ve been looking at new motors daily. Problem is that I can’t really find anything that I really REALLY want (other than cars that are out of my reach or not well enough specced).

Im also in a similar position to you in that anything I replace the M4 with will result in borrowing to make it happen and I can’t get to the point where entering into the world of monthly payments again is actually worth the difference in enjoyment between what I have now and what I’d replace it with.

Would be different if I was currently paying something monthly and was just upping it a bit but to go from zero to anything puts me right off. Sounds as if you’re in a very similar quandary, so… get the wheels.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Get the wheels.

The problem with getting bored with a car no matter how good it is (something many of us here are guilty of) is that you run the risk of changing to something that, in the end, you don’t like as much. I got a bit lucky in my last move as I down-sized to an older cheaper car but ended up liking it better.

BUT Im also a victim of the new-car-fever that Boba is spreading around 😜 and I’ve been looking at new motors daily. Problem is that I can’t really find anything that I really REALLY want (other than cars that are out of my reach or not well enough specced).

Im also in a similar position to you in that anything I replace the M4 with will result in borrowing to make it happen and I can’t get to the point where entering into the world of monthly payments again is actually worth the difference in enjoyment between what I have now and what I’d replace it with.

Would be different if I was currently paying something monthly and was just upping it a bit but to go from zero to anything puts me right off. Sounds as if you’re in a very similar quandary, so… get the wheels.

Wish it was a new gear knob (!) as the wheels are an expensive 'test', but yes, I wouldn't sell the car straight after I suppose.

I can't stand the thought of the cost of another new car, so likely be used and there lies the problem - a like for like is waaaaay to expensive. I think the 'knack' is to buy a much cheaper second car of interest, get into enjoying it, then flog the other and start working up the scale. Adding a few grand when you flip from one car to another isn't noticeable the same as laying out a massive lump, only to spend more modding it and then even have a massive repair issue.

Last night, I messaged a guy who supplies and installs the GTS rear lights (dragon tails) and also Cotswold, as they are the wheel suppliers and rather than ship them, I thought I might book in with them and have the 24 month service down there too and make a trip of it.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
LED GTS rear lights being fitted Friday :cool:

These are the blackline and I am going all red to remain a more OEM look. Not sure I like the Audi esq indicator, which goes left to right/right to left, but I won't see it will I.

Not to everyones taste, but plug and play, so if I hate them I can swap back...

Unknown.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
LED GTS rear lights being fitted Friday :cool:

These are the blackline and I am going all red to remain a more OEM look. Not sure I like the Audi esq indicator, which goes left to right/right to left, but I won't see it will I.

Not to everyones taste, but plug and play, so if I hate them I can swap back...

View attachment 916

what do the actual 5 series ones look like?

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
what do the actual 5 series ones look like?

There are the red and blackline options and here are some poor photo's - they are much more defined in the flesh...

I have the time to change red to blackline (clear) but on my colour car, the red works better I think.

OLED Red.jpeg

OLED White.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Like those. I had similar black/red lights in my RS5. Personally I feel they only really work on a grey car. I’d agree the red looks better.

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Like those. I had similar black/red lights in my RS5. Personally I feel they only really work on a grey car. I’d agree the red looks better.

Singapore is pretty dark grey, so we shall see.

To be fair, they look fairly OEM until they are 'live'.

OEM (light tint):

Unknown-1.jpeg

LED:

Unknown.jpeg

Senna11

Racing Driver
I tend to change my car after 24 months and usually like to try something different. Must get it out of the bloody garage and drive it more!

The M5 is a fine powerful saloon which is understated but a great car nonetheless. It could do with a tad more excitement with the sound but you are in a difficult predicament as no doubt it ticks a lot of the boxes for you.

One option may be a comfortable daily but something with more sporting intent for the weekend. I keep looking at Caterhams for a weekend blast, not too powerful but great fun to drive.

However, the RS6 looks mighty fine….

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
I tend to change my car after 24 months and usually like to try something different. Must get it out of the bloody garage and drive it more!

The M5 is a fine powerful saloon which is understated but a great car nonetheless. It could do with a tad more excitement with the sound but you are in a difficult predicament as no doubt it ticks a lot of the boxes for you.

One option may be a comfortable daily but something with more sporting intent for the weekend. I keep looking at Caterhams for a weekend blast, not too powerful but great fun to drive.

However, the RS6 looks mighty fine….
It’s a bugger to be fair and as most of my driving is actually during the week, I want something nice. The bike tends to be the weekend toy.

Pretty much decided to keep it and freshen it up a little.

I’ve gone the other way and looks like I’ve bought a two grand Cooper S for some really odd reason :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Senna11

Racing Driver
It’s a bugger to be fair and as most of my driving is actually during the week, I want something nice. The bike tends to be the weekend toy.

Pretty much decided to keep it and freshen it up a little.

I’ve gone the other way and looks like I’ve bought a two grand Cooper S for some really odd reason :unsure::ROFLMAO:
R53?

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
Well, the rear light supplier cancelled on me this morning and as I can't stand being let down, I can't decide whether or not to fook him off.

Grrrr...

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
What year is the Mini?

Matters not now - he decided to keep it ffs. I think he said a price before research and said he couldn't justify letting it go.

He's got me looking at all sorts now and I am back to square on not knowing where to start 🤣

Senna11

Racing Driver
Time to revisit the RS6
Matters not now - he decided to keep it ffs. I think he said a price before research and said he couldn't justify letting it go.

He's got me looking at all sorts now and I am back to square on not knowing where to start 🤣