Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Strange metallic sound when turning right...

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
My M4 has started making a strange sound when turning right. It's really hard to describe but when I hear it the image I have in my head is of some metal strapping wrapped around the hub that's rattling around the wheel well. It's a light noise rather than a heavy clank or clatter. Only happens when turning right and it's coming from the passenger side front wheel.

I've read about stones getting trapped behind the brake disc and hub shield but it doesnt sound like that. I've had a quick look and cant see anything obvious. Car is lowered on Eibach springs but again it doesn't sound like the kind of sounds associated with an issue with them. Car drives fine.

I've not had a proper look yet. Not taken the wheel off etc.

Any ideas of what to look for when I do?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Well the sound got really bad today and it turned out to be the rear near side wheel with a bunch of stones in it after all. Had to take the calliper and disc off to sort it but all good now.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Well the sound got really bad today and it turned out to be the rear near side wheel with a bunch of stones in it after all. Had to take the calliper and disc off to sort it but all good now.

This is a known problem Stone and it keeps happening, they have a new version that they replace under warranty. Might wanna try a BMW good will gesture approach as its a documented problem.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
This is a known problem Stone and it keeps happening, they have a new version that they replace under warranty. Might wanna try a BMW good will gesture approach as its a documented problem.

I’d read about that when I had been investigating it before. Might try it on when it’s due a service.