Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Tesla

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Not as

Not that exciting to look at!

That's not the point, I have never sat in one, or really taken any notice of one, the closest I have been to one is when I had an FG Leopard.

Interested in your thoughts as I know you have had some nice cars.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Slow traffic on the motorway so decided to try autopilot and really easy to engage but hadn’t set the car distance properly so brakes were applied quite close to car in front. Read somewhere that you should select about 7 cars distance and should result in a more gradual braking process. Car maintains position within the lines but weird seeing pedals move on their own. I normally give HGVs a wider berth so felt a little close when overtaking but overall ok.

You need to keep hands on the wheel and it will keep nudging the wheel or remind you to apply pressure. Didn’t realise it disengages when changing line but going round extreme bends watching the steering wheel turn is fun but overall need to try it more to feel comfortable with the system.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
I didn’t try autopilot on my Model Y test drive the other day, but did on the Model X in 2018. The systems on the latter are inferior to the LR tech in my Discovery and the 2018-on RRS. I’m hoping that, for a tech company that trades on the mantra of constant software improvements, the Model Y is far ahead of the Model X.

The Discovery is good enough that I’ve driven Heathrow to Bristol without once intervening or having the system disengage. Similarly, Exeter to Bristol. (No lane changing though, just lane centring/self steering and adaptive cruise - the whole shebang is referred to as Cruise Assist in the menus).

sahajesh

Test Pilot
Drives
X5 40i M Sport
Is there any speed camera functionality like Apple Maps or Waze has, or do you need to use your phone for that?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Do they lose charge while sat around, I find anything that uses battery's in my house does?

Senna11

Racing Driver
Love the cameras and built in dash cam, sentry mode is useful. I do not like the lack of any physical controls for climate control. I would prefer a smaller screen in front of me and it does sometimes feel like you are driving a simulator but a very capable car nonetheless. Instant torque is great fun. Outside speaker more of a gimmick, don’t see the point. Watching Netflix while parked is good.

Senna11

Racing Driver
Spotify won’t display more than 100 songs in the playlist for some reason. Will try connecting using my phone although I think this may be via wired only as no CarPlay.

Senna11

Racing Driver
A few pictures after I finally managed to get round to cleaning it
3B4A8957-2462-44D0-B578-E1D50693B456.jpeg

A56EF3BA-705F-4B7F-BA4E-18DF5205F21A.jpeg
67189D9B-3FED-49CE-8C95-3E72776F8D2C.jpeg
D0C36F27-5D99-4C1E-98AC-72BC2A41D725.jpeg
8B5645B3-8CC3-4FBD-9772-83E950571A86.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E76F489-E4CC-4D0C-BD1C-598879269839.jpeg
    8E76F489-E4CC-4D0C-BD1C-598879269839.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1

saltyamigo

Tyre Kicker
Drives
S Box.
My trade in price has finally been confirmed by Tesla, provided Shanghai continues to receive all the parts and produce cars I should get my new Model 3 before the end of June.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d

This is the first time I have ever really taken any interest in a Tesla. The future is not bright! I completely appreciate the car and its purpose but its really hard to get remotely excited about that, and the interior is awful to me except the seats. Thank god you got white, as they are needed to lift the interior massively.

Congrats on the car, I'd like to know your thoughts in 6 months time, other than the money saving (y)

Senna11

Racing Driver
This is the first time I have ever really taken any interest in a Tesla. The future is not bright! I completely appreciate the car and its purpose but its really hard to get remotely excited about that, and the interior is awful to me except the seats. Thank god you got white, as they are needed to lift the interior massively.

Congrats on the car, I'd like to know your thoughts in 6 months time, other than the money saving (y)
It is actually a good car to drive and handles really well. I don’t think the interior is premium enough for the price but I am pleasantly surprised. What you don’t get is a connection with the car compared to ICE but nonetheless a well executed product that is the standard bearer for EVs helped with the foresight of a good charging network. The packaging is very clever as keeping all the controls on the screen and regular updates keeps costs down but I do find the screen less distracting then when I first drove it.