Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Thank god for warranty!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
My Mrs’s Range Rover Sport has gone into limp mode a couple times when pushing on on the motorway.

I scanned it for faults and the codes point to a mechanical or electrical issue with the drivers side turbo.

Went into the stealers a couple of days back. Oil leaking from the turbo. New turbo required - £2500.

Interestingly that includes a £300 discount for the old turbo being bought back by JLR to be reconditioned.

Anyway it’s covered under the third party warranty but if I want the dealer to do it I’ll likely need to pay the gap between their hourly rate and the warranty limit. Or the other option is to take it to an indy for replacement or reconditioning.

I’m thinking I’d rather have the new turbo and shell out a couple of hundred quid for the labour at the dealer.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
It would be a brave man who ran a newer LR without warranty.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Well I've had an update since then. The warranty company wont do a new turbo. Car needs to go into one of their garages, have the turbo stripped off and sent away to Turbo Tecknics for reconditioning and then sent back and put back on. Car will be off the road for at least a week and a half and hire car coverage is only the 8 hours labour for the actual job, so I'm out nearly £600 for a hire car.

The joys of motoring...

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Well I've had an update since then. The warranty company wont do a new turbo. Car needs to go into one of their garages, have the turbo stripped off and sent away to Turbo Tecknics for reconditioning and then sent back and put back on. Car will be off the road for at least a week and a half and hire car coverage is only the 8 hours labour for the actual job, so I'm out nearly £600 for a hire car.

The joys of motoring...

Third party warranties for you, just be careful, we had all this shite with one of our Range Rovers with one of these Warranties. Have to take it to one of there repairers which was miles away. They had the car recovered, had it for ages, tried to wriggle out of the repair, car came back damaged and things not put back/fitted properly.

Really bad. We sold the car and bought from Range Rover in the end, it spent more time at the garage than it did on our drive. The one we have at present does not have a warranty as it was a private sale, and rather this than in the hands of a third party warranty again.

Its being upgraded soon and we are likely to buy from Range Rover again.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
The sweet spot is a car with JLR warranty being sold privately

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Third party warranties for you, just be careful, we had all this shite with one of our Range Rovers with one of these Warranties. Have to take it to one of there repairers which was miles away. They had the car recovered, had it for ages, tried to wriggle out of the repair, car came back damaged and things not put back/fitted properly.

Really bad. We sold the car and bought from Range Rover in the end, it spent more time at the garage than it did on our drive. The one we have at present does not have a warranty as it was a private sale, and rather this than in the hands of a third party warranty again.

Its being upgraded soon and we are likely to buy from Range Rover again.

That sounds awful. The warranty co. have already approved it and I spent a bit of time with the garage owner on the phone. He sounded pretty good, gave me some advice and discussed elements of him having done one in the past so he seems credible enough. Not much else I can do at this stage I suppose.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
What a pain in the arse I’m having with the wife’s car. It’s had a new turbo fitted. The whole thing took nearly 5 weeks!

Had the car back a day. Back into limp mode. With a fault code saying the boost control solenoid had failed. Mechanic took it back in, replaced the solenoid and gave it back. Had a day, back into limp mode with the same fault code.

Wish we’d went for that Q7 after all now…

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
What a pain in the arse I’m having with the wife’s car. It’s had a new turbo fitted. The whole thing took nearly 5 weeks!

Had the car back a day. Back into limp mode. With a fault code saying the boost control solenoid had failed. Mechanic took it back in, replaced the solenoid and gave it back. Had a day, back into limp mode with the same fault code.

Did you end up getting it sorted? @MashinBenzin knows I like winding people up about the reliability of RR 😂

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Yes. Turned out it just need the fault code cleared after the solenoid had been replaced. I hesitate to say it but it’s been good as good ever since. Apart from complaining it needs rear brake pads which I’ve got ordered.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Yes. Turned out it just need the fault code cleared after the solenoid had been replaced. I hesitate to say it but it’s been good as good ever since. Apart from complaining it needs rear brake pads which I’ve got ordered.
Funny nearly everyone you talk to has issues with RR, although they seem to sell cars.

There's only one person that I know who's had zero issues, one of my parents neighbours. Other than it coming with the wrong coloured roof, it's been perfect! 🤣

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5

I guess yours isn’t in its first 6 months, but this sort of nonsense is how I got to reject my first Discovery. They had the car for 2 weeks updating software instead of replacing a sensor, got it back and it threw the same bunch of faults (completely driveable but every assistance system disabled). Spent almost 6 weeks awaiting parts but as the same fault had recurred twice I could reject. It was a financial gift horse…

@EvilDrPorkChop did indeed wind me up about it, with about 200 others armed with blue and white propellor badges.

hope they get it sorted this time.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Funny nearly everyone you talk to has issues with RR, although they seem to sell cars.

There's only one person that I know who's had zero issues, one of my parents neighbours. Other than it coming with the wrong coloured roof, it's been perfect! 🤣
My second one has been perfect apart from a misaligned tailgate (which is a design feature, they all have that 😂) adjusted under warranty. It has the odd refusal to do something in the infotainment, but it’s no more faulty/irritating than my old iDrive5 just less usable (touchscreen).

funnily enough it also came on the wrong wheels. But that was the dealer making an order mess up then trying to blag it.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I guess yours isn’t in its first 6 months, but this sort of nonsense is how I got to reject my first Discovery. They had the car for 2 weeks updating software instead of replacing a sensor, got it back and it threw the same bunch of faults (completely driveable but every assistance system disabled). Spent almost 6 weeks awaiting parts but as the same fault had recurred twice I could reject. It was a financial gift horse…

@EvilDrPorkChop did indeed wind me up about it, with about 200 others armed with blue and white propellor badges.

hope they get it sorted this time.

Oh no! This is an older car. It’s a 2014 plate but it came with quite decent 2 year warranty. We’ve not had to pay a bean.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman

I think it was more everyone went on about reliability before you ordered it, then it ended up getting rejected because it kept breaking down 🤣

Also y mate has a XE that's just over 4 years old and that's had to go back for some AdBlue error, so think the Jags are just as bad.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
I think it was more everyone went on about reliability before you ordered it, then it ended up getting rejected because it kept breaking down 🤣

Also y mate has a XE that's just over 4 years old and that's had to go back for some AdBlue error, so think the Jags are just as bad.
Didn’t break down. Threw errors necessitating a restart to clear them. I did play it up mightily to get it rejected though, especially as I was in an incredibly bad mood at that time. Net cost of about £3k for a year in a brand new Disco 😂

What did really annoy me was the wait for parts, the terrible lack of comms from the dealer who had the car for the second repair (not the supplying dealer) and that for that long second repair I was in a 2.0 Disco which was absolutely horrible. Many brands wouldn’t have got that close for a loan car though.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
PS. I guess the XE will be an Ingenium 4 cylinder. It’s really a horrid engine, even with a Discovery’s sound deadening it still made itself heard at every opportunity. And the four cylinder Discos are blowing engines left, right and centre now, not surprising as it’s the wrong motor for a 2.5t car and you end up thrashing it everywhere.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
We have had about 8 Range Rovers, and we have had trouble with all but 1 (a couple spent more time at the dealer than they did on the road) some minor some major.

Problem is they sell because they are lovely, my wife's current RRS (even though the electric park brake broke and cost a grand) is such a nice place to be and I dont think there is much else like them!

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
PS. I guess the XE will be an Ingenium 4 cylinder. It’s really a horrid engine, even with a Discovery’s sound deadening it still made itself heard at every opportunity. And the four cylinder Discos are blowing engines left, right and centre now, not surprising as it’s the wrong motor for a 2.5t car and you end up thrashing it everywhere.
Yes I would assume so, funny a customer with a Disco Sport had loads of issues with theirs too. As you say, sounds like a common issue.

This is the issue with smaller engines in massive cars, like when BMW did the 25d sDrive. You use more fuel just trying to lug a heap of metal around with your foot to the floor.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Yes I would assume so, funny a customer with a Disco Sport had loads of issues with theirs too. As you say, sounds like a common issue.

This is the issue with smaller engines in massive cars, like when BMW did the 25d sDrive. You use more fuel just trying to lug a heap of metal around with your foot to the floor.
Yes I found the 2.0 Disco (which I did 2k miles in) less or the same economy as the 3.0. It also did silly things like dropping a gear at 70mph if hitting a 5% incline.
Btw, one of the guys whose engine detonated was presented with an invoice for £23k. It was eventually covered entirely as goodwill by JLR…but £23k!!