DEUTSCHESPEED.com Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and more

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Thank god for warranty!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
F90 M5
My Mrs’s Range Rover Sport has gone into limp mode a couple times when pushing on on the motorway.

I scanned it for faults and the codes point to a mechanical or electrical issue with the drivers side turbo.

Went into the stealers a couple of days back. Oil leaking from the turbo. New turbo required - £2500.

Interestingly that includes a £300 discount for the old turbo being bought back by JLR to be reconditioned.

Anyway it’s covered under the third party warranty but if I want the dealer to do it I’ll likely need to pay the gap between their hourly rate and the warranty limit. Or the other option is to take it to an indy for replacement or reconditioning.

I’m thinking I’d rather have the new turbo and shell out a couple of hundred quid for the labour at the dealer.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
It would be a brave man who ran a newer LR without warranty.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
F90 M5
Well I've had an update since then. The warranty company wont do a new turbo. Car needs to go into one of their garages, have the turbo stripped off and sent away to Turbo Tecknics for reconditioning and then sent back and put back on. Car will be off the road for at least a week and a half and hire car coverage is only the 8 hours labour for the actual job, so I'm out nearly £600 for a hire car.

The joys of motoring...

boba fett

Racing Driver
Well I've had an update since then. The warranty company wont do a new turbo. Car needs to go into one of their garages, have the turbo stripped off and sent away to Turbo Tecknics for reconditioning and then sent back and put back on. Car will be off the road for at least a week and a half and hire car coverage is only the 8 hours labour for the actual job, so I'm out nearly £600 for a hire car.

The joys of motoring...

Third party warranties for you, just be careful, we had all this shite with one of our Range Rovers with one of these Warranties. Have to take it to one of there repairers which was miles away. They had the car recovered, had it for ages, tried to wriggle out of the repair, car came back damaged and things not put back/fitted properly.

Really bad. We sold the car and bought from Range Rover in the end, it spent more time at the garage than it did on our drive. The one we have at present does not have a warranty as it was a private sale, and rather this than in the hands of a third party warranty again.

Its being upgraded soon and we are likely to buy from Range Rover again.

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
The sweet spot is a car with JLR warranty being sold privately

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
F90 M5
Third party warranties for you, just be careful, we had all this shite with one of our Range Rovers with one of these Warranties. Have to take it to one of there repairers which was miles away. They had the car recovered, had it for ages, tried to wriggle out of the repair, car came back damaged and things not put back/fitted properly.

Really bad. We sold the car and bought from Range Rover in the end, it spent more time at the garage than it did on our drive. The one we have at present does not have a warranty as it was a private sale, and rather this than in the hands of a third party warranty again.

Its being upgraded soon and we are likely to buy from Range Rover again.

That sounds awful. The warranty co. have already approved it and I spent a bit of time with the garage owner on the phone. He sounded pretty good, gave me some advice and discussed elements of him having done one in the past so he seems credible enough. Not much else I can do at this stage I suppose.