Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

The Range Rover Thread

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
We have had a Range Rover in the family for the last fifteen years or so. Its the wife's choice of travel. We have swayed away from them (I tried to steer her onto German) for in total about a week with BMW X5's and X6's, but she has wanted to return to Range Rover pretty swiftly.

Started off with a 2004 Vogue V8, then 2006 Sport HSE and had an autobiography kit installed (had nothing but trouble with this car) then bought a year old autobiography Sport 2012 on PCP (never again) moved to a 2009 Sport HSE, then to a 2010 Sport Autobiography LE

Apart from the one mentioned above, they have been nothing but a pleasure to own. They really are the only car you could ever need. We now have a new shape Sport Autobiography dynamic, and I have to say its a lovely car, as with all the Autobiography's, the interior is first class and is a wonderful place to be.

Be interesting to know what you had, what you got, what you like and your ownership experience !!

Last edited:

Jigglepuff

Tyre Kicker
Drives
F82 M4
I feel much the same way about them to be honest, I love RR so much as the comfort and usability are unparalleled.

Had 3 x Vogue Autobiography 5.0 in succession until 2018 when I decided to get rid and get another sports car (M4) but missed the RR so much I went back and decided on a 2019 Sport Autobiography Dynamic 5.0 (and then bought the M4 back as I missed that too 🙈).

The vogues are more comfortable but the sports are handle better on the road as they don’t ‘wallow’. On both - the 5.0 V8’s just eat miles - 70mph will put you to sleep and so cruising at 3 figure speeds is common place and will hit 170 if you really want to (on a private road of course!).

A lot of people ask me why I didn’t get the SVR.....well the SVR doesn’t come with the armrests on the seats (these are a must and I can’t be without them) they are really noisy and the standard 5.0 is just as quick (I’ve raced SVRs so can confirm) but for circa 25k less! Alot more understated too. The interiors on these cars make the whole experience as everything is in the right place and with the seating position being what it is doing long journeys is nothing short of a pleasure. Have regularly done 300 mile days and they never seem taxing.

Bought some Urban 23” wheels for my current one last year and they lasted 6 mths as they ruined the ride and stick out so they are curb magnets - won’t do that again!

When the tech works properly they really are the best cars on the road (the new Laser Lights are epic!). You hear horror stories about reliability but in all fairness all the ones I’ve had have never missed a beat.

During the beast from the east a couple of years ago we were doing shopping for neighbours as we were the only ones who get about with the RR.

Sun, rain, sleet, snow it doesn’t matter - they do it all and in fact I actually look forward to driving it in the snow!

Only problem with the 5.0 V8’s is the petrol consumption which is basically tragic (19mpg)....🥺

(I’ll put up a pic tomorrow when the new server is up and running!).

Last edited:

M4rkM

Test Pilot
Drives
M4 ZCP
I’ve got a really unhealthy urge to buy and tinker at an older one to waft about in, ruinous perhaps though!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I’ve got a really unhealthy urge to buy and tinker at an older one to waft about in, ruinous perhaps though!

There was a Layer Cake Rep on ebay not so long ago complete with plate, was tempted to buy it, but I was told I would be divorced if i did !!

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Rather than start a Land Rover thread, thought I would post here.

It became evident in 2018 that my 2016 440i was not going to suffice for family duties, the exhaustive hunt for a SUV began. Land Rovers were never in the equation. Until a fellow forum member posted pics of his new RRS one evening and a poor Volvo dealer left me at a loose end the following lunchtime. I know, I thought, I will go to the LR dealership for entertainment. Fell in love with the product....

It was still a long haul, but I surprised myself by ordering a Discovery HSE Luxury SDV6 in Feb 2019. It eventually arrived in August 19, had some sensor failures in December and January and was rejected in March. I kept using it until the end of July this year when it’s replacement arrived. Same spec, different cosmetics.

here they are. Carpathian grey with silver wheels is the old one. Lighter Eiger Grey with grey wheels is the new one.

Attachments

• F80CEE9B-39D4-417A-BF4D-AFB423168E40.jpeg
    F80CEE9B-39D4-417A-BF4D-AFB423168E40.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 6AA1BA26-282B-4A4F-B3AD-50ACB8C5B35D.jpeg
    6AA1BA26-282B-4A4F-B3AD-50ACB8C5B35D.jpeg
    700.6 KB · Views: 5
  • BAC7802B-9F12-446B-8E4D-21052DAC84E1.jpeg
    BAC7802B-9F12-446B-8E4D-21052DAC84E1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Very nice that. Considering a pre-facelift model amongst a few other contenders to replace our Q3 when the lease is up next year.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I feel much the same way about them to be honest, I love RR so much as the comfort and usability are unparalleled.

Had 3 x Vogue Autobiography 5.0 in succession until 2018 when I decided to get rid and get another sports car (M4) but missed the RR so much I went back and decided on a 2019 Sport Autobiography Dynamic 5.0 (and then bought the M4 back as I missed that too 🙈).

The vogues are more comfortable but the sports are handle better on the road as they don’t ‘wallow’. On both - the 5.0 V8’s just eat miles - 70mph will put you to sleep and so cruising at 3 figure speeds is common place and will hit 170 if you really want to (on a private road of course!).

A lot of people ask me why I didn’t get the SVR.....well the SVR doesn’t come with the armrests on the seats (these are a must and I can’t be without them) they are really noisy and the standard 5.0 is just as quick (I’ve raced SVRs so can confirm) but for circa 25k less! Alot more understated too. The interiors on these cars make the whole experience as everything is in the right place and with the seating position being what it is doing long journeys is nothing short of a pleasure. Have regularly done 300 mile days and they never seem taxing.

Bought some Urban 23” wheels for my current one last year and they lasted 6 mths as they ruined the ride and stick out so they are curb magnets - won’t do that again!

When the tech works properly they really are the best cars on the road (the new Laser Lights are epic!). You hear horror stories about reliability but in all fairness all the ones I’ve had have never missed a beat.

During the beast from the east a couple of years ago we were doing shopping for neighbours as we were the only ones who get about with the RR.

Sun, rain, sleet, snow it doesn’t matter - they do it all and in fact I actually look forward to driving it in the snow!

Only problem with the 5.0 V8’s is the petrol consumption which is basically tragic (19mpg)....🥺

(I’ll put up a pic tomorrow when the new server is up and running!).

Still looking forward to a picture mate ?

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Very nice that. Considering a pre-facelift model amongst a few other contenders to replace our Q3 when the lease is up next year.
It’s really good, very much a Range Rover on the cheap. Has Windsor leather (as do non-Autobiography RRs), same tech (uh-huh) on the same platform. So from inside feels incredibly similar - S and SE spec Discos definitely do not, but have a utilitarian appeal all of their own.

I optioned adaptive dynamics on both of mine. It doesn’t make it a RRS Dynamic as it lacks the active anti-roll bars, but does take it a good step forward from the standard Discovery which is not a fan of multiple direction changes.

something about them hits the emotional spot and makes you forgive the reliability fears. I came so close to pushing the button on a X7 when rejecting my first D5, but the luxury, emotional appeal and proper-SUV feel kept me in the LR fold.

Robinho21

Tyre Kicker
Drives
2 brits and a German
I love a Land/Raneg Rover

Been through a Disco 3, three Disco 4s and three FFRRs.

I think we'll always have one in the household no matter what else there mat or may not be.

Here's the current one in its natural habitat

09FF602A-5C11-4433-92EA-FD6901620329_1_201_a.jpeg
C9C43400-3911-441C-835F-A3A9A93299CE.jpeg

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d

What do you guys think of this?

Wife’s Q3 is due for change and I’m looking at these. She does around 6000 miles a year but we’re doing more UK touring. Looking for something bigger snd more powerful. Max budget is around £32k. Looking at Q7, X5 and these.

To be honest mate, thats a lovely car, its got all the SVR brakes etc as well being the Dynamic. Think its on the nose money, mileage and spec as well. Looks a lovely colour as well, not the usual Black or white.

I just had to have the Autobiograpghy though, so thats the only difference with me, and love all the toys, like deployable side steps, opening pan roof, Ebony and Ivory etc.. Its always good for resale as well !

However, they are lovely, lovely cars, and they really are the Daddy compared to the others !

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5

What do you guys think of this?

Wife’s Q3 is due for change and I’m looking at these. She does around 6000 miles a year but we’re doing more UK touring. Looking for something bigger snd more powerful. Max budget is around £32k. Looking at Q7, X5 and these.
Very smart. In theory, I would say fine, with a good 3rd party warranty put in place. One thing in particular sets off my trad car buyer alarm bells, though. 5 owners in only 6 years. I didn't look in detail at the paperwork pics to see if that's one long term owner and four short, but my concern would be that no-one has cherished it for long and/or something is pushing people to move it on quickly.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Very smart. In theory, I would say fine, with a good 3rd party warranty put in place. One thing in particular sets off my trad car buyer alarm bells, though. 5 owners in only 6 years. I didn't look in detail at the paperwork pics to see if that's one long term owner and four short, but my concern would be that no-one has cherished it for long and/or something is pushing people to move it on quickly.

Might be just me, but owners don't really bother me, maybe as much as it should. I buy on condition, and one thing I have found, is that an unloved Range Rover is very easy to spot !

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I think HSE Dynamic is the spec of choice for me given budget. Mileage is a bit high for me and wondering if I should avoid or is there’s anything I need to look out for?
Good point on the owners.

Last edited:

Senna11

Racing Driver
Mileage is the main sticking point for me on that RRS. Good spec but how does the price point compare to the others in your price range?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Mileage is the main sticking point for me on that RRS. Good spec but how does the price point compare to the others in your price range?
Guy hasn’t returned my call from earlier and I can’t quite put my finger on it but something seems off with that advert. Don’t know what.

I’m also looking at Q7s as well as that would be more familiar to my no-interest-in-cars-missus.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I think HSE Dynamic the spec of choice for me given budget. Mileage is a bit high for me and wandering if I should avoid or is there’s anything I need to look out for?
Good point on the owners.

You will here stories of the crank snapping on that 3.0 engine on a few cars, but if start delving into all the horror stories you will never buy one !! You only really tend to hear the bad about them that mainly came from the earlier model cars.