Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Thinking of buying an old Porsche…

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I’m thinking of buying a third motor in the form of an old Boxter or Cayman. Haven’t got a clue about Porsches. Max spend would be £15k.

I want a timeless looking sports car that I can tinker with. Never owned one or know anything meaningful about them.

Any advice? Thoughts.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
It would be a good purchase and free motoring. Get an S manual 987 year model. Speed Yellow commands a premium if you can get one. They are very good cars. Have a look at the 996's as well.

Cayman or Boxster? they both drive great, it all boils down to whether you want open top motoring or not, as the Cayman is the better drivers car, but only just!

I think the Boxster is the better looking car, something about the rear of the Cayman that does not look great to me.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I'm at the very early stages so no doubt I'll be back with loads of questions later on if I start looking seriously.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I'm at the very early stages so no doubt I'll be back with loads of questions later on if I start looking seriously.

I'm pretty good with Porsches.

I think a nice Mk1 Cayman will go up in value at some point as well as they have been doing. Its a good toy, but given the other beast you have, when on the road and you come up against something tasty you will always wish you had taken the M5 keys !!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Looks lovely, but I'd go for less miles and an original colour.

Its always going to be a tough sale that, when you want a change.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Looks lovely, but I'd go for less miles and an original colour.

Its always going to be a tough sale that, when you want a change.

A lot of them in black, grey and silver, I'm seeing. Would quite like a louder colour but obviously im in no rush. What sort of max mileage would you go for? Anything obvious that I should be aware of or need to look out for?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
A lot of them in black, grey and silver, I'm seeing. Would quite like a louder colour but obviously im in no rush. What sort of max mileage would you go for? Anything obvious that I should be aware of or need to look out for?

Porsche have only done some wild colours in the last 5 years really, Cobalt is nice but its an in-between colour and I think ages the cars a bit.

It really is hard to find older Porsches in anything other than Black, grey, silver or Red. A Cayman S looks nice in Black with all the silver bits and the right wheels.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Porsche have only done some wild colours in the last 5 years really, Cobalt is nice but its an in-between colour and I think ages the cars a bit.

It really is hard to find older Porsches in anything other than Black, grey, silver or Red. A Cayman S looks nice in Black with all the silver bits and the right wheels.

I like them in black as well but if I end up with another black car I think I'll go mental. I think the boxter is out. I'm not keen on them with the roof up.

M4rkM

Test Pilot
Drives
M4 ZCP
987 is such a great handling thing, we bought a 2.7 as the horror stories of the 3.4 S put us off. It’s so direct and planted, plenty fast enough for a B road blast and just timeless.

M4rkM

Test Pilot
Drives
M4 ZCP
987 is such a great handling thing, we bought a 2.7 as the horror stories of the 3.4 S put us off. It’s so direct and planted, plenty fast enough for a B road blast and just timeless
1DAD49D7-2027-4D86-B880-779D7DADFC11.jpeg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
987 is such a great handling thing, we bought a 2.7 as the horror stories of the 3.4 S put us off. It’s so direct and planted, plenty fast enough for a B road blast and just timeless
View attachment 1482

what’s the horror stories? I actually thought you guys had the newer version! Just shows how timeless they are. Is that splitter at the bottom an extra? Just on the phot above, I think Boxters are back on the menu!

Im noticing that Cayman's seem to be commanding a premium over Boxsters on similar age and spec. Any reason for this?

Last edited:

M4rkM

Test Pilot
Drives
M4 ZCP
what’s the horror stories? I actually thought you guys had the newer version! Just shows how timeless they are. Is that splitter at the bottom an extra? Just on the phot above, I think Boxters are back on the menu!

Im noticing that Cayman's seem to be commanding a premium over Boxsters on similar age and spec. Any reason for this?

the 3.4 suffers bore score, IMS problems also. I know most of these problems are probably blown up but the 06 on 2.7 Is bullet proof

Ours is 2007 and that kit is part of the sport design model:) Still looks fresh imo

Not sure why the Cayman is more expensive, I’d personally rather have the soft top in them

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
the 3.4 suffers bore score, IMS problems also. I know most of these problems are probably blown up but the 06 on 2.7 Is bullet proof

Ours is 2007 and that kit is part of the sport design model:) Still looks fresh imo

Not sure why the Cayman is more expensive, I’d personally rather have the soft top in them

The M4 put me off the whole convertible thing to be honest. Too many creaks and squeaks from the roof.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’m looking at a 987 Cayman. 155,000 miles but only 2 owners and comes with a folder full of history. Car looks great in photos and is £11k.

Apart from resale, how much of an issue is the mileage at this level?

Car is local and I’m going to go have a look.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’m looking at a 987 Cayman. 155,000 miles but only 2 owners and comes with a folder full of history. Car looks great in photos and is £11k.

Apart from resale, how much of an issue is the mileage at this level?

Car is local and I’m going to go have a look.
Took some advice and have ditched that. Going to see a Cayman S with 67k miles on the clock instead.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
The 3.4 did not have many issues, its the best of M96/97 chocolate engine. High mileage would concern me, issues are hard to get to with the engine in the middle.

Good cars seem to go quick these days, I would still hunt down a nice spec, good mileage and history Cayman 3.4, the bonus is they are a lovely drive as well, the chassis is awesome, and its just got enough power, but its the overall package that impresses. Just not the greatest looking Porsche!

Just have fun Stone, plenty about, Ill keep my eyes peeled for an attractive car!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
The 3.4 did not have many issues, its the best of M96/97 chocolate engine. High mileage would concern me, issues are hard to get to with the engine in the middle.

Good cars seem to go quick these days, I would still hunt down a nice spec, good mileage and history Cayman 3.4, the bonus is they are a lovely drive as well, the chassis is awesome, and its just got enough power, but its the overall package that impresses. Just not the greatest looking Porsche!

Just have fun Stone, plenty about, Ill keep my eyes peeled for an attractive car!

I took one for a test drive today. It wasn't the spec I wanted and it was a tiptronic, but it looked decent in the listing on Autotrader, was local and I thought I better actually test drive one at least before I end up buying one. It didn't go well. The car ended up a total dog, with various issues and in pretty poor condition. It really just shows how you cannot rely on photos and video. I found the brakes pretty under-servo'd and the steering quite heavy. Overall the car felt too loose. I drove it up the road and back before handing the keys back over and left.

It might be down to that being a bad example but it's put me off the idea a bit. I had more fun on the way home in the M5.

In any case, after seeing the difference between the video and the reality, a mail-order car, even with an RAC inspection is a no-no for me. So, I'm on the lookout for a local, 987s manual. If a decent one comes up, I'll go see it and take it a drive but I'm now thinking that it might be better to re-visit this in a years time and try to stretch to a 981 S instead.

Last edited:

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I took one for a test drive today. It wasn't the spec I wanted and it was a tiptronic, but it looked decent in the listing on Autotrader, was local and I thought I better actually test drive one at least before I end up buying one. It didn't go well. The car ended up a total dog, with various issues and in pretty poor condition. It really just shows how you cannot rely on photos and video. I found the brakes pretty under-servo'd and the steering quite heavy. Overall the car felt too loose. I drove it up the road and back before handing the keys back over and left.

It might be down to that being a bad example but it's put me off the idea a bit. I had more fun on the way home in the M5.

In any case, after seeing the difference between the video and the reality, a mail-order car, even with an RAC inspection is a no-no for me. So, I'm on the lookout for a local, 987s manual. If a decent one comes up, I'll go see it and take it a drive but I'm now thinking that it might be better to re-visit this in a years time and try to stretch to a 981 S instead.

A Tip is terrible, that will spoil the whole experience the moment you set off.