Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

TPMS - RDCI issue

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I'm getting an intermittent fault on my TPMS system where it's throwing up a failure message on the iDrive. If I clear the error using Bimmerlink I can often go through the TPMS reset/relearning process but it eventually fails again. First couple of times it happened was when I was booting it.

I have two sets of wheels which all have TPMS sensors on them and this fault occurs with both so I know that the issue isn't battery-related or issues with the sensors themselves. With that in mind I'm looking at what the potential problem might be. I've gotten so far online but have hit a wall. What I know so far is that the TPMS module otherwise known as RDCi is built into the DSC control unit on the car. This is where the error codes come from. Which are:

Dynamic Stability Control
5 errors
4806B8: RDCI FRONT LEFT WHEEL ELECTRONICS NO RECEPTION
4806DA: RDCI WHEEL ELECTRONICS FRONT RIGHT NO RECEPTION
4806F4: RDCI WHEEL ELECTRONICS REAR RIGHT NO RECEPTION
48069E: RDCI CALIBRATION WHEEL RECOGNITION NOT POSSIBLE
4806F0: RDCI WHEEL ELECTRONICS REAR LEFT NO RECEPTION

So having done some digging around I found the attached BMW TSB (Technical Service Bulletin - See PDF attached to the bottom of this post) which covers the issue. It makes reference to two things:

Remote Control Unit (FBD3) - Which has a couple of different part numbers depending on whether the car has comfort access or not:

The TSB also states:

Additionally for the F33 (4 Series Convertible) and the F83 (M4 Convertible)

Labour OperationLabour AllowanceDescription
51 46 526Refer to KSD2Removing and installing or replacing trim on front air outlet

So this all leads me to believe that I either have a lose connection to the FBD-3 unit or I need to replace it and on the F83/F33 it's hidden behind or accessible behind the "front air outlet", but I can't find any further information on this. If it refers to the centre air vents, I've had these off a couple of times before when installing an android unit and then removing it and installing the Carplay unit I now have. I don't remember seeing the FBD-3 unit mentioned and I'm wondering if "front air outlet" could refer to something else.

If anyone has ever had the same issue and could chime in it might help other people searching for a solution to the same problem. Similarly if I come up with the solution I'll post it up here.

Just to clarfiy the message on the iDrive/dash will still say "RCD" whether RCD or RCDI. It make no difference. The "i" part is just internal term.

Attachments

• MC-10147771-9999.pdf
    287.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
So having done a bit of digging here's the solution for anyone else that finds this on the net with the same problem:

Although the DSC unit is responsible for processing the info provided by the TPMS. The Tyre Pressure Sensors themselves now transmit data directly to the FBD3 unit. This unit then sends the info across the LINBUS system through to the BDC (Body Domain Controller) which in turn sends it to the DSC ECU. The FBD3 unit is the same unit responsible for handling keyfob signals.

In the F83 the unit is located underneath the trim that houses the roll-over protection system underneath the rear headrests. So looks like my first port of call is to have a look at this and change it out for a later unit or check for a loose connection.

In the F80 & F82 the unit is underneath the rear deck trim behind the rear head rests and the under the rear windscreen. It looks like this:

31527.jpg

There's a lot of confusion online about the TPMS system as it's been revised a few times but the attached document gives a good overview of the system that is in use for our cars (from 2013). Previous versions had individual receivers in each wheel well and then a single receiver mounted on the rear axle before things moved to the RDCi version which we have.

Attachments

• RDCi System Description.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

T5Pilot

Boy Racer
Drives
F82 M4CP & S1000XR
Really useful info this. Not an issue for me (yet, anyway), but good to know I now know where to come back to should the need arise. Cheers! 🍻

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Really useful info this. Not an issue for me (yet, anyway), but good to know I now know where to come back to should the need arise. Cheers! 🍻

Well. I've got the new part sitting on my desk and it's a dry day so might have a go at fitting it shortly and update you as to whether it actually works!

mike3nyc

Tyre Kicker
Drives
428i xdrive
Having an issue with locating the TPMS that you had described in your post. This happened right when I left the drive through car wash....unsure if its a receiver that needs to be swapped or a sensor in my right tire as I am only getting two fault codes: 4806DA: RDCI WHEEL ELECTRONICS FRONT RIGHT NO RECEPTION, 48069E: RDCI CALIBRATION WHEEL RECOGNITION NOT POSSIBLE

My patient is a 2016 F33. Do you believe this receiver would be placed underneath the rear headrests trim just like you described it is in F83? I tried looking for it by the fender, near the gas tank and couple of other spots...no luck thus far.

Would be glad for any help! My fault codes below:

zRxfv3E.jpg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Ok. So first of all the receiver unit is definitely in the same place in the F83 and F33. So if it does need replaced you know where to find it and it’s not too terrible a job to do.

Secondly, many of the fault codes on display are nothing to do with your TPMS issue and some will just clear down. Looks like you may have changed your steering wheel or had it off at some stage, you’ve tried to open the roof at one point with the luggage divider not being down and there’s an issue with one of your mirrors etc etc. Without knowing anything about your car it’s impossible for me to tell but back to the issue at hand... TPMS, forgetting about the error codes for a second what symptoms is the car actually displaying?

Also the car wash could be a complete coincidence so forget about that.

Based on the fault codes I’d suggest the TPMS sensor is faulty rather than the receiver unit. If it were me I’d swap the left and right front wheels round (can’t swap front and rear as the F83 has a staggered set-up - yes the tread will be round the wrong way but it won’t matter for the purposes of the test), reset your TPMS and then go for a short careful drive somewhere quiet and see what happens when the system tries to reset. If the error switches to the opposite side you know it’s a faulty sensor or one with a dead battery. If it stays the same it might be time to swap out the receiver unit like I did.

Note If you’re not running a staggered wheel set up (as found on the F83) on the F33 then instead of swapping wheels left to right, swap the front and rear instead.

mike3nyc

Tyre Kicker
Drives
428i xdrive
@moonstone

Not worried about any other codes but the two listed above, but you're a good observer: I did change the steering wheel and did some other mods to the car.

The symptoms now are just a TPMS malfunction light that keeps coming back even when reset multiple times and driven for few hours...nothing more. I've been thinking about buying a MaxiTMPS tool on Amazon, checking the sensors with it and simply returning the item once done...This way I would eliminate the question around what part is the actual culprit. What do you think?

Also just for my reassurance, could you be kind enough and point an arrow/draw exactly where the TPMS receiver is located and let me know which trims need to be taken out? (As a noob I would rather not dismantle unnecessary pieces when not needed)

bmw4.jpg

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
The receiver unit is directly underneath the plastic trim piece in your photo between the two rear headrests.

A71290CB-BF0F-4683-B133-B97931C1E73C.jpeg

You need to remove the entire part shown above. Once you do you’ll see the receiver module screwed down to the body underneath.
To take this off do the following:
1. Remove rear head rests (these just pull out.
2. The rear “door cards” are in two sections. The top leather part (with the holes to clip your wind breaker in place) pop off and these need to be removed to gain access to screws marked (6) in the diagram above.
3. Remove the covers at the seat belts and the four that marked as (4) to access and remove the screws underneath.
4. Now you’ll need to have your hood partially opened to remove push fixings marked (5). Note there are two at each end and more in the middle.
5. The entire trim peice will now just lift off and you’ll see the receiver unit in the middle.

mike3nyc

Tyre Kicker
Drives
428i xdrive
I think I got the the bottom of this case at last thanks to MaxiTPMS device I purchased...worth every penny! Clearly based on the tool's findings it's the sensor that has gone bad. I will have to order a new one and have someone replace it for me.

Looks like the sensor itself cost approx 100$. What's a reasonable labor cost for this? (not calling the dealer, needless to say).

tpms1.jpg

tpms2.jpg

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
As I said previously the fact that only one was throwing an error made it very unlikely the receiver unit was the problem in your case.

No idea of labour costs in your area but in the UK any tyre shop will swap it out for the same cost as fitting a standard valve.

kellogs

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Suzuki
So having done a bit of digging here's the solution for anyone else that finds this on the net with the same problem:

There's a lot of confusion online about the TPMS system as it's been revised a few times but the attached document gives a good overview of the system that is in use for our cars (from 2013). Previous versions had individual receivers in each wheel well and then a single receiver mounted on the rear axle before things moved to the RDCi version which we have.

Hey,

Is that "RDCi system description.pdf" for the 2012 - March 2014 vehicles or for the post 2014 vehicles ? By the looks of it it appears it is for the older vehicles. Maybe you have something for the newer ones as well ?

Thanks