Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

VW Golf Mk7 R- Reversing Camera Retrofit OEM 5G1054634

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Reversing Camera Retrofit OEM 5G1054634

Having fitted this at the weekend and finding limited info on it online I thought this may help those who seek to do the same. The kit does come with instructions but they're limited and I was faced with searching for a number of answers online when doing this. So this isn't a step-by-step tutorial but rather an explanation of what's involved, what you'll need and what to expect.

I recommend you read all of this before you start. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll be happy to help with more info. You may also find this link of help, but note that it's a LHD car and it doesnt have parking sensors: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7567066-Golf-OEM-Rear-View-Camera-Retrofit-Success!

KIT CONTENTS:
This kit has a VW part number: 5G1054634 and it consists of the following:
  • Replacement VW rear emblem with integrated camera unit.
  • Wiring harness
  • Crimp connectors
  • Cable ties
  • 7.5amp fuse
  • Spare head unit connector
  • Fitting instruction booklet

TOOLS REQUIRED:

• First of all, before you start you should know that you will need VCDS, OBD11 or VCP Pro (or ODIS) to code your head unit and the parking/steering assistance controller.
  • Trim removal tools (optional but recommended)
  • Torx screw drivers
  • Crimping tool
  • VW Radio removal keys

INSTRUCTION BOOKLET
The enclosed booklet is designed with a VW dealer tech in mind. It references various other workshop manuals and is also designed for a LHD car, which means access to the fuse holder is different than in the book.

I recommend that you visit ERWIN (google it) and purchase an hours access (7 EUR) so that you can then download the interior trim workshop manual (it's a PDF). This details how you can access various different things and how to remove trims without breaking them. NOTE that the enclosed manual doesn't tell you how to do this. It merely directs the VW tech to the relevant internal dealer manuals)

An important point to note is that the last part of the install requires the fuse array behind the glovebox to be released from its carrier and one half of a supplied fuse holder to be inserted from the back.

I found this nigh on impossible as cars wiring harness is connected to the back and doesn't give enough room to get in behind it. There is a way to release individual arrays from the fuse carrier but in the end I gave up, snipped the connector of the supplied cable and wedged it in from the front and stuck the fuse in. If I were doing this again. I wouldn't bother with this and would simply crimp it to the live wire coming out the back of the head unit in the glove box as you do that with another cable anyway.

PROCEDURE
Remove the rear hatch trim and replace the emblem with the new one. You then snip off a connector and splice a couple of wires with the supplied crimps.

After this you're just routing the wiring harness from the rear to the front of the car along the passenger side taking it from the centre of the roof at the hatch, down the C pillar and and the down to the floor.

The rear seat base needs to be removed but this is actually very easy. You basically grip it from the front at each side and give it a good upward yank. Do that at both sides and then pull it away from the back rest and out.

Removing the seatbase allows access to a nut and a retaining plug that holds the side trim in place.

After you run it up to the side of the glovebox you need to remove this but before you do you need to remove the infotainment unit in the glovebox because there's a screw behind it that secures the rear of the glove box. You'll need a very long torx screw driver (I used a small Socket wrench with three extension pieces on it). You also need to remove the heater control trim to access a screw to remove the trim piece that runs along the side of the centre console.

This is why I recommend the ERWIN manual or do some youtubing to understand the order that the trims are taken apart.

Once you've connected all the wires. You need to code the car. I used VCDS. Please note that if you had disconnected the battery before you started the you'll face a barrage of fault codes including one for Park Pilot. Don't worry, these will disappear once you go for a drive. The ABS controller needs to re-calibrate and these are all connected. The one-touch function of your electric windows will have vanished also. This is normal if the battery has been disconnected. Just hold the button down for 3-5 seconds once the window is down and again on the way up to re-calibrate them and they'll be fine.

There's two controllers you need to code as per above:
5F Infotainment: Go into long coding and tick "RVC Low Installed"
Parking/Steering assist: Long coding again and find and tick the RVC entry.

When you next go into reverse you'll here the rear badge open and your screen will look like this:

IMG-1160-thumb-JPG-f457cc5f3fffda8a570d77d8a59089b7.jpg