Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

What are your priorities for driving pleasure for Road use !

TodmordenLad

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Currently Mazda, previously many BMW, MB & Audi
Handling and engagement for me, but not without a fair degree of refinement please. Less interested in outright power these days. Impossible to exploit on most UK roads. Barely used the 355hp in my MPPSK 440i. It was a lovely engine in a car which wasn’t much fun to drive if the truth be told. Driving my Mazda3 with its lovely chassis and suspension set up and beautifully mechanical manual box is much more fun with 50% of the power.

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
Cayman 981 GT4, Cayman 987 S, BMW 340i tourer, BMW X3 M40i
I need a certain amount of power in a car, but after the novelty wears off, like it did with my M4 then you realise that if the car only comes to life at high speed then that’s problematic.
What I do like is charismatic engines, or basically not diesel, and not really 4 pots. BMW straight sixes are lovely, as are flat sixes from Porsche.
I enjoy both manual and flappy paddles, and like the variety.
I really like good suspension on a car and this is my most commonly modified area of a car. Two of my four cars run aftermarket suspension currently.
What really makes for driving enjoyment is steering though. Accurate of course, but feel is the thing missing from modern cars.
My Exige had amazing feeling steering, but without any PAS, it was just too heavy. The GT4 steering feel is it’s weakest point, and the 987 Cayman shows it up in this regard to be honest.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Our Mini was great, we had a Cooper S and was a hoot to drive. You could drive it flat out and throw it around corners like a go kart.

I've not really driven the Porsche hard yet due to the wet weather etc. Although it's more than fast enough for us, everyone always made out you needed the S when in reality unless you're tracking the car then it's not needed on public roads. As it's our daily it's more than enough, and tbh at today's petrol prices don't think I could take any more petrol consumption 😂 But the Porsche is much more comfortable than the Mini.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
The GT4 steering feel is it’s weakest point, and the 987 Cayman shows it up in this regard to be honest.
Funny I think the steering lets our 718 down, but I had put it mainly down to the Pirelli tyres tbh at the moment. I'm going to change to Pilot Sport 4S. I find it very floaty on certain roads, and had the Power Steering Plus coded before we picked it up after my test drive. In the hope that it would increase a weightier feel at higher speeds, which of course it doesn't.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
My BMW is 375-400bhp, its too quick for the roads and how busy they are, rarely stretches its legs and can't imagine what its like for higher powered cars.

My 205 has 130bhp if you are lucky, I can ring its neck, the feedback is fantastic, and all in legal speeds. Always end every journey with a smile!

I’ve never had a weekend toy before but I’m on the hunt for one at the minute. Was looking at old Caymans but after looking at @JustChris ‘s MX5 I’m now on Autotrader eyeing them up as I type this!

Last edited:

JustChris

Boy Racer
Drives
440i Vert
I’ve never had a weekend toy before but I’m on the hunt for one at the minute. Was looking at old Caymans but after looking at @JustChris ‘s MX5 I’m not on Autotrader eyeing them up as I type this!
Naturally aspirated, superb manual box, rear wheel drive and power you can use on U.K. roads. Very good option but I did probably also just described the Boxster, different price points and options but that little MX is a charmer.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I need a certain amount of power in a car, but after the novelty wears off, like it did with my M4 then you realise that if the car only comes to life at high speed then that’s problematic.
What I do like is charismatic engines, or basically not diesel, and not really 4 pots. BMW straight sixes are lovely, as are flat sixes from Porsche.
I enjoy both manual and flappy paddles, and like the variety.
I really like good suspension on a car and this is my most commonly modified area of a car. Two of my four cars run aftermarket suspension currently.
What really makes for driving enjoyment is steering though. Accurate of course, but feel is the thing missing from modern cars.
My Exige had amazing feeling steering, but without any PAS, it was just too heavy. The GT4 steering feel is it’s weakest point, and the 987 Cayman shows it up in this regard to be honest.
What cars are you running Terry?

SkyJawa

Test Pilot
Drives
F30 335d
I’ve never had a weekend toy before but I’m on the hunt for one at the minute. Was looking at old Caymans but after looking at @JustChris ‘s MX5 I’m now on Autotrader eyeing them up as I type this!

Naturally aspirated, superb manual box, rear wheel drive and power you can use on U.K. roads. Very good option but I did probably also just described the Boxster, different price points and options but that little MX is a charmer.
They are crackers too. My sister had a mk1 1.6 and mk2 1.8iS, I looked after them a bit so got to take them out, they too were great fun to drive, I likened them to a rwd 205. The mk3 I just couldn‘t deal with the way they looked, but the version @JustChris had I really like, would think It’s great as a 2nd car.

also done the s2000, that was flipping great too, VTECH yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
Clever buy, had a huge amount spent on it and looks like all the important stuff has been done.
I also knew the seller, and the history of the car, and just how much money has gone in to it.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
£11K though:eek:

yes, and the rest in the years before that!
The previous owner now has a GT2RS, a GT3RS, a 911T, a 981 track car, and two Porsche race cars… he’s doesn’t need to worry about money!

Senna11

Racing Driver
yes, and the rest in the years before that!
The previous owner now has a GT2RS, a GT3RS, a 911T, a 981 track car, and two Porsche race cars… he’s doesn’t need to worry about money!
Amazing collection.

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
All I’ve seen are dogs so far. Took one for a test drive and and it was rotten. I might hold off for a 981. So many shag-heaps going around.
You’re doing the right thing by avoiding the crap! I made the mistake with my first 987 Boxster S. Spent a fortune and always needed more done.