Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

What EV do like?

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
Given I've now been given responsibility for ESG strategy this has suddenly become a lot closer to my heart... I like the fact that they are all better for the environment (assuming you have a green elec policy and would have been buying a new car anyway.... the whole life damage argument is too complex for me tonight)

I want range and a good charging network, including speed of charging. But if its my main car I also want an interesting car that engages me in some way. Its never going to have the theatre of an SQ5, M5. RS4, so it has to win me over another way.

So, if I was buying a daily for the station run, supermarket trips etc, it would probably be E Niro. Big enough, practical enough, good enough range to be my daily....

But if we are talking car for long journeys, Model Y, Model 3 P, i4 40, Polestar 2, Volvo XC40 T8, I love the iPace but not sure it is good enough at recharging.... to be honest most of the good EVs are bigger than I need.... An E Niro for daily and carting the dog and a good weekend car sounds best bet....

Senna11

Racing Driver
Test drive in the Polestar 2 Performance and really liked it, interior design and finish is very good as it should be for the price but you can feel the weight of when pushing on. Think the Taycan looks the best so far.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Can you believe we are even talking about EV's on a petrolhead forum.

Things have moved on so quickly, a few years ago it was "nope nope nope" now they are viable options!

Kia EV6 for me as well, I'd change the Range Rover for one, but its a no from my wife as she is a badge snob!

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
I’ve been looking closely at EVs for a few months. Style wise, I like the Ioniq 5 and I think the Kia Soul, eNiro and EV6 are all fantastic in their niches.

The catch for me is that I’m trying to approximate the job that the Discovery does as a family hauler. I won’t dwell on that here though.

The Model Y appeals for space and drivetrain. Falls flat on interior design for my taste, equipment levels and it’s a bit bland.

I’ve driven two in recent weeks, a RWD Kia EV6 and a RWD Skoda Enyaq 80.

Might add longer posts on both, but in short the Enyaq has a far better boot (obvious from any review or glance at the styling) and was actually more interesting and appealing to be in than I expected. Whatever I buy will likely become the wife’s car in a year or two and she preferred the Skoda in every way including the styling.

The EV6 is a lovely drive, livelier feel than the Skoda. I’d love to have one of those on the driveway too.

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Can you believe we are even talking about EV's on a petrolhead forum.

Things have moved on so quickly, 2 years ago it was "nope nope nope" now they are viable options!

Kia EV6 for me as well, I'd change the Range Rover for one, but its a no from my wife as she is a badge snob!
Haha I feel your pain. As the guys that know me will would attest, I’ve been working on my wife’s love of the Land Rover for months. She adores that car (as do I, but I’m happy to move on for EV).

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
Right, here is the EV6 review from me. Bimmerpost guys, don’t waste your time on a long read, it’s a copy and paste.

Had a run out in an EV6 this morning. Apologies for no pics, but if you're interested you'll already know what they look like I'm sure!

First up, kudos to Wessex Kia for their policy of offering test drives from your own home. Not only does this save a huge amount of time, it means I got to test the car on a route of my choosing on roads that I drive every day and know every detail, every camber and rotten surface.

The car was a RWD, so the lowest power of the two currently available at something like 200+ bhp. And in top of the range GT-Line S spec. So, heated and cooled seats, sunroof, HUD, 360s, Meridian stereo…probably imagine an i4 40 in £70k spec and you're about there. Indeed, I would struggle to think of much that my £80k list LR has that this didn't - rear seat entertainment screens is probably all. All for £49k with paint.

Loved it. It drove really nicely, completely effortless and chilled. It's 0-62 on paper is an underwhelming 7.7 seconds. That's slower than my D5 at 7.0. The EV6 feels way, way faster. That's all about the seamless and smooth EV delivery. It felt as quick as my old F36 440i (5.1 to 62 iirc). Part of this is that I simply never ever floor it from a standing start in an ICE car, mechanical sympathy blah blah. I was very impressed with the performance of the 'slow' EV6 model.

It rode well, handled nicely, less of the understeer that completely blighted the 440i. And the view out was better than I expected - after a Discovery i thought I would feel hemmed in, but no.

On 20s it soaked up minor imperfections as well as my D5 on air and 21s. Big potholes would be different, but for what it is , excellent.

Interior room is great - as big as the first two rows of any SUV, and some.

Boot space is the drawback, as expected. But this is a serious contender for next car. EV6 plus roofbox, to last until the EV9 or similar comes out and then the EV6 could be our second car?!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Haha I feel your pain. As the guys that know me will would attest, I’ve been working on my wife’s love of the Land Rover for months. She adores that car (as do I, but I’m happy to move on for EV).
I think we probably need a EV Sub forum as its getting bigger and I am interested in reviews for them. I wonder if @moonstone will come to the rescue ?

Broncho

Test Pilot
Drives
E Class Cabrio
I’m going to resist as long as possible but the lady down the road has an E Niro and it does look pretty nice if I’m reluctantly honest!

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Would be a Taycan for me, but the range just isn’t there compared to the likes of Tesla.

My mate was one of the first Model3 deliveries nearly 3 years ago now. I think there’s been improvements but the quality isn’t there, the dealership is useless and he’s had a few electrical gremlins and issues. He’s also got the Full Self Driving, but we’re still waiting here in the UK for them features to fully unlock.

TodmordenLad

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Currently Mazda, previously many BMW, MB & Audi
If I had to buy one today, Id probably go for an EV6. Not bad looking in the flesh, not too pricey, decent enough range, and I dont neeed a big boot. And MashinBenzin says its okay to drive, which is good enough for me :LOL:

MashinBenzin

Test Pilot
Drives
D5
I did forget to mention that I have a reservation on a Toyota BZ4X Premier Edition, so have a potential way into EVs without the huge wait. Hard to judge a car on a load of American static videos.

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
So SIL has binned off the i4 M50 due to the extended wait, was going to be July but his firm took a bit of a while signing off the new car policy he put forward and it had slipped to Dec...

Given he wants something quickly, its really down to one brand - so went for a play this morning, test drove the Model Y LR and decided that is the one....

Blacktemplar

Pit Crew
Drives
X3 M40i
I see the Fisker Ocean is getting closer to production, with Magna-Steyr building them in Austria.

Have to say I quite like the proposition, and if they can keep pricing as currently indicated, then even the mid-range model will be an absolute steal - under £50k for The Ultra with 553bhp AWD and a sub 4 sec 0-60

Will definitely be keeping an eye on that one.

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
Stolen from another forum - looks really good and Lancia-esque

1651817390706.png