Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

What is your definition of a Supercar ?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
The terminology Supercar is used for so many cars, some of which I don't think are in fact Supercars. What is your definition of a Supercar ?

MrMcG

Boy Racer
Drives
E63 M6
A car that makes you -

• Smile every time you drive it
  • Makes others look whether that's noise or looks
  • A little nervous about driving all the time
  • Something you can't help but look back at numerous times when parked

For me a supercar doesn't have to be a multi-million pound car it just has to have the above

I consider a TVR Tuscan a supercar for the above reasons, its a personal thing and this is my categorisation. Ferrari's, Lambos etc are all spectacular things but I would fill my garage with weird and wonderful cars instead.

AC Cobra anyone :D

MrMcG

Boy Racer
Drives
E63 M6
What about these cars...

Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo S
911 GT3
Maserati grand tourismo
M4 GTS
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Ferrari California
M3 CSL
M5 CS

Actually have driven and run a gran turismo her parents had one, A truly special car imo.

It had shit tech and a god awful dash and control panel

All was immediately forgiven when it started up and you looked at it, if I found a nice one I would buy without hesitation it ticks all my requirements for it to be a supercar.

Senna11

Racing Driver
A car that makes you -

• Smile every time you drive it
  • Makes others look whether that's noise or looks
  • A little nervous about driving all the time
  • Something you can't help but look back at numerous times when parked

For me a supercar doesn't have to be a multi-million pound car it just has to have the above

I consider a TVR Tuscan a supercar for the above reasons, its a personal thing and this is my categorisation. Ferrari's, Lambos etc are all spectacular things but I would fill my garage with weird and wonderful cars instead.

AC Cobra anyone :D
Cobra’s are awesome. An original Ace body with a V8 even better. Blame the testing for the speed limit!

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Actually have driven and run a gran turismo her parents had one, A truly special car imo.

It had shit tech and a god awful dash and control panel

All was immediately forgiven when it started up and you looked at it, if I found a nice one I would buy without hesitation it ticks all my requirements for it to be a supercar.
Interesting.

I see TVR’s as Kit Cars lol.

Yanto

Boy Racer
Drives
M3 CSL, GTi Clubsport
What about these cars...

Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo S
911 GT3
Maserati grand tourismo
M4 GTS
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Ferrari California
M3 CSL
M5 CS

None of these imo mate...except weirdly a California

I'd say it should possess all of these:

0-60 under 4
200+ mph top speed
2 door / coupe format
front / mid or rear engine
Distinct model based on above criteria and doesn't have any "lesser" variants (911 Carrera, R8 V8)

So a 458 or most of the Macs, Lambos would qualify. An R8 V10, 911 Turbo S whilst amazing, wouldn't - if that makes sense.

The challenge is, time moves the game on so you have to look through the point in time lens. I still consider a Countach a supercar and yet the above list would run rings around it.

Derekh929

Chief Engineer
Drives
F56 JCW & Vintage MTB
On that list R8 V10+ only, for me the cars from the charity meets I used to go too summed up well.
As said above most mid engine carbon tub cars apart from some Alfa’s.
Most Macca’s , nearly all modern Lamborghini , 458 fezza, Porsche GT 2RS, not the turbo if thought it got the performance.
For me V8 , V10, V12 , can we see an Aston in there?
As much as a dislike electric at present, is there an electric supercar , I would say many will think so.
It’s also got to sound and look special and have presence and stop people to look and take in there looks.
What about the new GT40 I first seen it in 2016 before released here in LA motor museum Peterson, it was a work of art and looked every bit a super car, but the V6 , that’s a tough one.
What about old school super cars F40 etc but modern normal sports cars as fast, so lots of grey areas for me, but I’m clear what’s special and super for me, that’s what’s important, how it effects your emotions IMHO

Derekh929

Chief Engineer
Drives
F56 JCW & Vintage MTB
Prime examples of completely different supercars

Now I will blur the line borderline ??

Derekh929

Chief Engineer
Drives
F56 JCW & Vintage MTB
Well I would sneak it in just, what about the new Corvette C8 carbon tub etc? There is only an imaginary line, but then comes the snobbery, that I see occasionally with Porsche cars, I was going to be doing a charity event with car and my AMG C63s Coupe was no good but a Caterham and a Basic Cayman was fine, you had to pay fee to charity as well.
it seems some see any Porsche as a special sports car?