Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

What sub £15k weekend car would you buy?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I’m shopping for a weekend toy. Ideally I don’t want to spend more than £15k (option two is wait longer and up my budget but keen to here the thoughts of others at the moment).

I like working on my cars so don’t mind a car that needs a bit of improvement but I want a could base to work from. Not a shit-box with a knackered engine or gearbox etc.

So far been looking at Caymans and Audi TTS.

Keen to hear what you would choose and why?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I’m shopping for a weekend toy. Ideally I don’t want to spend more than £15k (option two is wait longer and up my budget but keen to here the thoughts of others at the moment).

I like working on my cars so don’t mind a car that needs a bit of improvement but I want a could base to work from. Not a shit-box with a knackered engine or gearbox etc.

So far been looking at Caymans and Audi TTS.

Keen to hear what you would choose and why?
Probably need a bit more info mate.

Doors, seats, depreciation proof?

here is a few

Honda S2000
C63
SLK55
E92 M3 manualwill be Leggy and early
Boxster S
Cayman S
Clio 182 trophy good little investment as well
Megan Trophy
E46 M3 just
STI
Mini Works
RS4 B7
Clio RS200 cup

I think you are on the right track with a Cayman, it’s a good toy, but I loved the little Clio’s and you can use all the power all the time, trouble is you will look like you have just nicked your sons car!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I want something small and chuckable. Not that bothered about depreciation. I fancy either a really small hatch like a mini or a two seater sports car. I’m struggling to find a decent cayman for the money which is why I’m thinking about opening it up a bit.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I want something small and chuckable. Not that bothered about depreciation. I fancy either a really small hatch like a mini or a two seater sports car. I’m struggling to find a decent cayman for the money which is why I’m thinking about opening it up a bit.
Trouble with a Clio is they are French! That’s where the Mini comes in!

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
I always fancied a BMW 325ti Compact Sport. The later 2004 models.

S2000, they're decent.
Polo/Golf GTI
Toyota GT86 - never driven one but imagine they're quite reliable
E89 BMW Z4 35si
F56 JCW Mini

I'd stay away from any french, just down to reliability more than anything.

TodmordenLad

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Currently Mazda, previously many BMW, MB & Audi
I'd spend around £12.5k on a decent MX-5 and the balance at BBR tuners getting it properly sorted. Simples.

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
Cayman 981 GT4, Cayman 987 S, BMW 340i tourer, BMW X3 M40i
Given I’ve just bought a Cayman for £15k, Id say persevere! For a weekend car you want something that is a bit special, and a 2 seater, mid engined, bespoke sports car is as special as it gets. It’s such a well judged package- perfect size for a British B road, light, agile, balanced, and very chuckable. It has a great engine- smooth, revvy, great throttle response, a good amount of power too. Enough to keep things interesting and give options with the right foot, but can be revved out plenty. Brakes are superb too, and manual boxes don’t come much better.
And also, still manages to be relatively practical for a long journey.

Another option is an Elise, though not much choice at that price these days I’m guessing.

In terms of BMWs you could have a look at M135i, E46 M3, E92 M3…

The M3 options will all be older and potentially money pits, so need to be bought with care, like the Caymans.
M135i are newer so more around in good condition. However they’d need modifying for me- suspension and slippy diff.

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
Cayman 981 GT4, Cayman 987 S, BMW 340i tourer, BMW X3 M40i
I'd spend around £12.5k on a decent MX-5 and the balance at BBR tuners getting it properly sorted. Simples.
That’s not a bad shout. The Mk3 MX5 is a great looking car, but lost the sparkle of the earlier ones. If BBR can’t sort that, then could be a really great choice, with low running costs.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Definitely needs to be small. The M5 is fairly nimble in my opinion and I had an M4, RS5, Golf R in the past so I want something around Cayman, MX5, Mini type size.

Would prefer a marque I’ve not previously owned (for a while at least. Have had an MR2 and an MX6 before). Would prefer not to have another BMW.

TodmordenLad

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Currently Mazda, previously many BMW, MB & Audi
That’s not a bad shout. The Mk3 MX5 is a great looking car, but lost the sparkle of the earlier ones. If BBR can’t sort that, then could be a really great choice, with low running costs.
This is what I'm talking about - luvverly

Reactions: G50

SS13

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche 930 turbo
Motoring for free

Ennoch

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW F31 335D
Depends what gives you most enjoyment. For me some of the options would be an engine swapped Midget with a few suspension mods, or a Tiger MX5 based kit car (can boost the engine very, very easily using an R53 charger). I have a massive soft spot for the Megane Cups, both Mk2 and mk3, or the Clio 200 Cup as they're just so nimble and sharp feeling. For something a little more all weather and all condition then an Evo 5 or 6 (careful with rust) or a classic Impreza of some description (same deal with rust) would deliver, or if you want comfort too then maybe a 350/370Z or a Jag XFR.

Personally I love the lightweight and good power to weight ratio of something small like the Midget (great fun with a red top or tuned K-series in it) but they're only really fun if you've got some smaller and narrower roads you can have fun on. On big and open A roads they can feel a little more vulnerable and small. Evo's and Impreza's are my hoary place on many of the roads I have to have fun on as they can deal with all weathers and all manner of road surfaces. They can feel a little dead at times (the Impreza particularly) but some choice upgrades in the suspension department brings them alive.

RENTAGOAT

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW F31
Mini Cooper S works as a good solid secondhand buy then spend a bit building on it as a fast road/track project. Or blow it all on a Mini GP1 for weekends & bring back to as factory fresh as possible as a good future classic investment.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Mini Cooper S works as a good solid secondhand buy then spend a bit building on it as a fast road/track project. Or blow it all on a Mini GP1 for weekends & bring back to as factory fresh as possible as a good future classic investment.

Been looking at Cooper S Works online tonight. Along with Audi S1 (which on paper is faster, There's a couple for sale nearby. Think I need to go for a couple of test drives!