Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

B9 S5 Seats retrofit to Audi R8

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Overview
A couple of folk have done this but the information online is a bit fragmented and so I thought I'd share the info on this project as I go. It's quite common for R8 (gen1) owners to install wingback seats, which were available as an option on these cars, but even a tatty set costs around £2500 and then you have around £1800 on top of that to get them fully re-trimmed. Having been very happy with the seats in my TTS and discovering that the seat-frame mount was the same (so they drop right in), I decided to keep an eye out for a set. My preference would be to get an electric set to keep the electrical functions of the standard R8 comfort seats.

I was lucky enough to snag a pair of B9 S5 Supersports seats from a local scrapyard for only £600. These are grey, but as I'll be getting them re-trimmed anyway, worked out a bit of a bargain for me. Before I shell out to get them trimmed, I need to make sure that I can get the, working, so after a test fit in the car, started to pull together info online.

R8 Comfort Seat Functionality
These basically have a couple of motors in them for tilt, slide, height and rake, as well as lumbar functions and they're heated.

B9 Supersport Seat Functionality
These are found in all B9 S & RS models and have electrical slide, tilt, rake, bolster, lumbar, heat and massage functions. They also have their own seat control modules that require both LIN bus and Can bus signals to operate properly. Massage is impossible to have as it required a Climatronic and MMI combination with massage control options. The lumber and bolster adjustment is achieved on these, not by motor control, but by compressor operation, which is controlled by the seat control module.

Compatible Functions
Motorised adjustment and heating are confirmed as possible and working. There are mixed reports that lumbar and bolster operation can be achieved by running a LIN bus feed cable from another point in the car to the seat control module. If I can get adjustment and heating working I'll be happy to fit them and everything else that I can get working will be a bonus.

The lumbar and bolster movement on the S5 seat is via compressors the inflate/deflate, whereas the R8 seat is just more motors. I believe the compressors need more intelligent control (whereas the motors only require limit switches) and so this is why the seat controller unit is in charge of these functions and it's not as straight forward to do.

Wiring Differences
The wiring coupling from the seat to the car is fairly standardised on Audis. There's four connector blocks, Red (Power and Motor Functions), Green (Seat Heating), Black (Seat Belt Connector Sensor) & Yellow (Airbag). Due to the increased complexity of the B9 Supersports, all of the connectors are slightly different with more cabling on the new seat. We need to work out how to re-wire the connection of the new seat to the old connection in the car. Here's what I've worked out so far from the official Audi wiring diagrams for both. I've yet to test this, so when I do, I'll report back.

*Note that this is all for the drivers seat. Passenger colours may be different. I'll get the drivers side working first and then sort out the passenger and update.

Red Connector (Power)R8S5
FunctionColourPinColourPin
GroundBrownPin 5BrownPin 16
LiveRed/GreenPin 4RedPin 15

The R8 only has two wires going to this connector but the S5 seat has a load and these are all redundant as they're for LIN, CAN and various other stuff.

Green Connector (Heating)R8S5
GroundBrownPin 3Brown/WhitePin 3
LiveBlack/YellowPin 4RedPin 5
Sensor 1Brown/BlackPin 1Green/BrownPin 6
Sensor 2Black/WhitePin 2Green/BrownPin 1

The wiring diagram for the S5 seat is much more complex around the heated seat function but the number or wires in the block are the same and this looks to be correct. I'll report back once tested.

Black Connector (Seat Belt Buckle Sensor)R8S5
GroundBrownPin 5BrownPin 5
LiveGreenPin 6GreenPin 6
???N/AN/ARedPin 8

The S5 seat has an additional red wire on this connector, which isn't present on the R8 seat. I don't know what this does yet or if it's needed.

Yellow Connector (Airbag)R8S5
GroundBrownPin 1BrownPin 1
Aibag Ignitor +BluePin 2BluePin 2
Airbag Ignitor -BlackPin 3BlackPin 3

Although the physical connector is different, the cables are all the same colour here so looks like a straight swap.

Re-wiring the connectors

The connector blocks are the same overall shape for most but have different layouts or shapes. The only one that plugs straight in is the black one. I don't really want to hack the original seat wiring up, so my plan is to order new (R8) connectors and re-pin the S5 cables in. I've found the part numbers and these are as follows:

Red ConnectorPart Number: 4F0 937 733 BBig Pins Part No: 000 979 243 ESmall Pins Part No: 000 979 151 E
Green ConnectorPart Number: 4F0 937 731 FBig Pins Part No: 000 979 243 ESmall Pins Part No: 000 979 151 E
Yellow ConnectorPart Number: 8J0 972 576N/ASmall Pins Part No: 000 979 035 E

Last edited:

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Just Collected.

IMG_6405.jpeg

After a proper clean up with soem Koch Chemie Greenstar and a steam clean
IMG_6412.jpeg

Comparison
IMG_6416.jpeg

A lot more going on underneath with the new seat!
IMG_6415.jpeg

Test Fit
IMG_6421.jpeg

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
E46 M3 Ruby 1 of 6, Audi TTRS Vorsprung
What a difference those seats make, they look 100x better than the originals. Car is looking stunning and my want for an R8 is on the increase because of you lol.

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Thanks Denso. I think they'll make a huge difference to the interior once retrimimed. I’m going for a deep black alcantara centre with red stitching with a red centre stripe and the rest in black leather.

Will be a few weeks. Currently waiting on connectors and pins to do the job properly instead of butchering cables.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
WhatsApp-Image-2024-03-28-at-10.15.15_c0962adc.jpg

Having a fart around wih Photoshop. Think this is what I'm going to go for. The black sections will be black alcantara to match the rest of my interior:

1711627840469.jpeg

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
I like that, who are you going to get to do it?

Denso

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
It may be too much 🤷‍♂️ But have you considered doing these in red too?

IMG_1473.jpeg

Denso

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Oh defintely doing them in red as well. Going to get them painted Brilliant Red to match the paintwork.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I like that, who are you going to get to do it?

Denso

Stephen Pickering. Same guy that did the rest of my interior. He was pretty much holding the fort at Optimus Trimmers before Del shut the place. He's working out of Diamond Autotints place in Rutherglen.

Denso

Chief Engineer
Drives
Stephen Pickering. Same guy that did the rest of my interior. He was pretty much holding the fort at Optimus Trimmers before Del shut the place. He's working out of Diamond Autotints place in Rutherglen.
Thats good to know. looking forward to seeing them finished. Hopefully you get some good pics of them before and after fitting.

Denso