Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Ceramic Coatings - what's everyone using?

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
As the title says, need a new ceramic coating plus one for PPF too. I'm usually a Gyeon man, but open to suggestions.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Have you tried Graphene 303, it’s really good for the price. Easy on and off, lasts well, and very glossy, with good protection, only downside for me is it’s a bit grabby once finished to touch!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I did my new wheels using GTechniq EXO myself and found it to be very good, but my car is booked in for a full paint correction and Car Pro CQuartz at Easter. It’ll be fourth car I’ve owned to have it done.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
Thanks. I had been recommended GTechniq by a detailer.

I’m pretty sure when we did my mates Tesla M3 we used CarPro and that hasn’t held up well - but I maybe wrong.

Full car needs a machine polish and coating, just was waiting for the better weather before I do it. Managed to get the front end polished and PPF’d not long after collection so the rest has been neglected up to now!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Thanks. I had been recommended GTechniq by a detailer.

I’m pretty sure when we did my mates Tesla M3 we used CarPro and that hasn’t held up well - but I maybe wrong.

Full car needs a machine polish and coating, just was waiting for the better weather before I do it. Managed to get the front end polished and PPF’d not long after collection so the rest has been neglected up to now!

I've only ever had the CQuartz stuff done so don't have anything to compare it with but I'll be having a chat with my detailer guy to see if there's a better alternative. I tend to wash my car a lot and with black being so prone to swirls I need something that can reduce it a bit.

TodmordenLad

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Currently Mazda, previously many BMW, MB & Audi
I had Kamikaze products on my 440i. Looked the business on Carbon Black.

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
GTechniq CSL on last three cars. I may try Geon on next one as my preferred detailer seems to have switched to their products since he did the SQ5....

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
GTechniq CSL on last three cars. I may try Geon on next one as my preferred detailer seems to have switched to their products since he did the SQ5....
Are these coatings still a bit of a ball ache to apply, I have not paid much attention about them as I thought they where generally only really done by detailers?

isleaiw

Test Pilot
Drives
RS4 / Mini
Are these coatings still a bit of a ball ache to apply, I have not paid much attention about them as I thought they where generally only really done by detailers?

I'm not sure CSL is too bad, you dont need to be authorised for that one, but the two stage polish on a brand new car scares me, and it has to be left to cure overnight, and I am a lazy fucker so always pay some one.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
I'm not sure CSL is too bad, you dont need to be authorised for that one, but the two stage polish on a brand new car scares me, and it has to be left to cure overnight, and I am a lazy fucker so always pay some one.
The new Gyeon Evo range can be applied outside now and just cannot get wet in 12 hours. Brilliant for me as I struggle to get it in side. I think I’m going for the Pure and the PPF versions.

Machine polishing isn’t hard, just take your time and don’t rush. With the right equipment and polishes it works well. At one time I’d of never attempted it, but I have a good advisor at my very local detailing shop who was himself a detailer.

I found the ceramic coatings pretty easy to apply, but ideally it’s needs two of you.

DazC

Tyre Kicker
Drives
i8 LCI
My detailed only uses Gyeon products and any time I've taken a car to him, the longevity and quality seems good.

I don't know how to use a DA to machine polish so generally leave the ceramic coatings to the pros.

I know there's a lot of products a layman can use now so maybe give them a bash one day. I just stick to wax at the moment.

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
Cayman 981 GT4, Cayman 987 S, BMW 340i tourer, BMW X3 M40i
I’ve had a GTechniq on a few cars, but the pro only Crystal Serum Black, plus the DIY ones like Exo amd CSL. I’ve also used the Gyeon DIY stuff. I thought it was good, but not quite up to the equivalent GTechniq ceramic options. I think the general range of Gyeon stuff is excellent though and use quite a few of them regularly.
Personally, given a choice I go GTechniq still.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
I've ordered the Gyeon Pure Evo and the PPF ceramic coatings, so i'll let everyone know how I go on. I'll be waiting for some better weather first before applying it though!

Senna11

Racing Driver
Applied Gtechniq crystal serum and Exo myself. Used C5 for wheels and find this better than the Gyeon stuff. Whatever you use it’s the prep prior to apply which is really important. Practised machine polishing on my old Honda and managed to go through the paint at one stage but Japanese cars have soft paint.

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
I would go Gyeon EVO too - tried Gtechniq CSL and didnt find the perfomance too good. Although the CSBlack that was Pro installed was very good.

Gyeon Syncro, evo and even cancoat are good. Just ordered some cancoat evo, so will see how that fairs

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
I would go Gyeon EVO too - tried Gtechniq CSL and didnt find the perfomance too good. Although the CSBlack that was Pro installed was very good.

Gyeon Syncro, evo and even cancoat are good. Just ordered some cancoat evo, so will see how that fairs
I had a couple of issues with CanCoat (Not the new Evo). It went really dotty over the car, like really fine dots. We could never get to the bottom of why, as the first application was fine and I used new spray heads the second time. All we could imagine it reacted overnight perhaps, or the stuff had gone off. My supplier who's a ex detailer couldn't understand why either and even contacted Gyeon for me.

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
I have had Gtechniq Crystal Serum light applied to both my last two cars and it certainly seems to do the job I am looking for... I believe it is easier to apply than the "Ultra" alternative they offer... But I cannot conform as I had the local detailing company that I use do mine... I have a hydrophobic coating over the top that will last 12 to 24 months... and the C5 wheel armour on the wheels...

For me, getting older, it is about protecting the car between infrequent hand washes... I don;lt mind the car being dirty if I know the protection underneath is an effective shield for me...

(1st post since joining... hello all..)

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I have had Gtechniq Crystal Serum light applied to both my last two cars and it certainly seems to do the job I am looking for... I believe it is easier to apply than the "Ultra" alternative they offer... But I cannot conform as I had the local detailing company that I use do mine... I have a hydrophobic coating over the top that will last 12 to 24 months... and the C5 wheel armour on the wheels...

For me, getting older, it is about protecting the car between infrequent hand washes... I don;lt mind the car being dirty if I know the protection underneath is an effective shield for me...

(1st post since joining... hello all..)

Hi Dave and welcome (y)

I have never applied a ceramic coating myself, as I have read some people finding it easy to make a balls up. It is something I would like to get hands on with.

Maybe some appliers can help out with there findings!

Once again good to have you on the forum!

Senna11

Racing Driver
Applied mine the first time after usual prep but didn’t machine polish. Really pleased with Gtechniq finish but if doing again I would definitely use a one step polish prior to application. It does make maintenance really easy. The wheel coatings I find need to be reapplied every 12 months regardless of what the manufacturer says.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Applied mine the first time after usual prep but didn’t machine polish. Really pleased with Gtechniq finish but if doing again I would definitely use a one step polish prior to application. It does make maintenance really easy. The wheel coatings I find need to be reapplied every 12 months regardless of what the manufacturer says.

Are the wheel coatings worth it Senna, does the brake dust just wash off?