Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Ceramic Coatings - what's everyone using?

Senna11

Racing Driver
C
Are the wheel coatings worth it Senna, does the brake dust just wash off?
Couple of applications of C5 and then EVO works a treat. I use bilberry wheel solution diluted and wheel woolies to clean but much easier than non treated. Haven’t tried the kamikaze wheel protector but it is fairly expensive. In my experience, heavy brake dust and detritus won’t simply rinse off and leave a sparkling wheel, needs a bit of work.

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
Applied mine the first time after usual prep but didn’t machine polish. Really pleased with Gtechniq finish but if doing again I would definitely use a one step polish prior to application. It does make maintenance really easy. The wheel coatings I find need to be reapplied every 12 months regardless of what the manufacturer says.

Same, I think, with the hydrophobic coatings... What I am intending doing is booking mine in for a 12 month "refresh" where I can have it cleaned properly and the wheel and hydro coatings refreshed...

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
C

Couple of applications of C5 and then EVO works a treat. I use bilberry wheel solution diluted and wheel woolies to clean but much easier than non treated. Haven’t tried the kamikaze wheel protector but it is fairly expensive. In my experience, heavy brake dust and detritus won’t simply rinse off and leave a sparkling wheel, needs a bit of work.

I find the C5 really good in terms of a long protection between infrequent washes... I don't find it needs much to clean up the wheels when I do them... and I don't find the dust builds up as much... Must be something to do with some of it washing off when driving in rain...

ian332isport

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW 340i Touring & E30 332i
I had my car coated when it was new in 2018. I think they used a Supernatural Infinity which has lasted well. I also had the front end and a few other bits coated in PPF, which has kept it looking like new. I’d recommend PPF to anyone who wants to avoid stone chips.

As it happens, it’s going back in to be re-coated in April. I think he uses Titan coatings now, which are supposed to be really good.

Blacktemplar

Pit Crew
Drives
X3 M40i
I find the C5 really good in terms of a long protection between infrequent washes... I don't find it needs much to clean up the wheels when I do them... and I don't find the dust builds up as much... Must be something to do with some of it washing off when driving in rain...

C

I use Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel, then a couple of coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant - don’t need much more than a jet wash/foam and a very light pass with the wheel woolies to get them looking good.

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
Another vote for the c5 wheel coating, used it on my old m4 and it really helped cut down the wheel washing time.
I put nanolex si3d matte ceramic coating on the r8 last year and it definitely protects the paint well, wish I’d got a professional to do it though as there’s a few patches where there’s an overlap effect present.

EvilDrPorkChop

Test Pilot
Drives
Porsche Cayman
My Gyeon ones have landed with my detailing supplier, so picking up Saturday. But i'll probably wait for some better weather till applying.