Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Help choosing a car

Senna11

Racing Driver
Right chaps, need a used vehicle to put the dog in, general use, needs to look half decent and possible future towing/ going to the tip. I don’t want an estate. Don’t mind diesel and preferably auto - budget of £10-£15K.
Initially thought Freelander but dismissed those, have been looking at Disco 4 providing all the work has been done but also aware these can be a money pit.
I did think of getting a van but a bit pointless most of the time or a pick-up truck but not sure at the moment.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I think running costs have to play a part here? so ill save you all the gas guzzling, £600 Tax, mortgage to insure cars we all love!!

A Range Rover Evoque is actually a good car, VW Tiquan S-Line is nice with a DSG, 320d has to be up there (it does all you want, for me) There's a lot to choose from!

Senna11

Racing Driver
I think running costs have to play a part here? so ill save you all the gas guzzling, £600 Tax, mortgage to insure cars we all love!!

A Range Rover Evoque is actually a good car, VW Tiquan S-Line is nice with a DSG, 320d has to be up there (it does all you want, for me) There's a lot to choose from!
Evoque is a girls car, done the 320d so not going back. Will have a look at the Tiguan.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
What would you be towing?
Does it need to be a hatchback?

Audi Q5 S-Line TDI
Audi A7 3.0 TDI V6 Black Edition
BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo
Merc GLA
Mini Countryman / Mini Clubman
Kia Sportage
Seat Ateca
Hyundai Santa Fe

JMS

Pit Crew
I have an l200 for my two dogs and to do all the tip runs ect. 250quud Road tax, 250quid annual service and I get about 35mpg.

I end up using it more than my other cars now. Its fully loaded with all I need and it drives like a car and also fits 5 people in.

Ennoch

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW F31 335D
If you're looking at the Disco 4 then also look at the L322 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 (2010-2012). Equal on fuel, drives better, more reliable and cheaper. I still regret not getting another one instead of the F31. I like the Disco 4 and it is more practical inside as the seats fold into the floor and the load space is getting on for a small transit! But the cranks have issues, the 6spd isn't great on fuel and the 8spd are expensive. The FFRR will get 35mpg on a run and drives very, very nicely. I'm still contemplating sacking off the BMW and going back to one as every time I see one I have regrets! The 3.6 TDV8 is a lot cheaper but they have issues with the turbos which is an expensive fix, and seems to be down to the services not draining the sump from both plugs. The rear one is where the turbo's pick up and most places don't drain it, therefore the sludge sits there and gets sucked up by the turbo feed pipes.

Senna11

Racing Driver
If you're looking at the Disco 4 then also look at the L322 FFRR 4.4 TDV8 (2010-2012). Equal on fuel, drives better, more reliable and cheaper. I still regret not getting another one instead of the F31. I like the Disco 4 and it is more practical inside as the seats fold into the floor and the load space is getting on for a small transit! But the cranks have issues, the 6spd isn't great on fuel and the 8spd are expensive. The FFRR will get 35mpg on a run and drives very, very nicely. I'm still contemplating sacking off the BMW and going back to one as every time I see one I have regrets! The 3.6 TDV8 is a lot cheaper but they have issues with the turbos which is an expensive fix, and seems to be down to the services not draining the sump from both plugs. The rear one is where the turbo's pick up and most places don't drain it, therefore the sludge sits there and gets sucked up by the turbo feed pipes.
Had a chat with a local independent LR garage and get a good Disco 4 and should be good to run. Read up on the crank and seems to be an issue with pre 2012 but possibly later? Inlet manifolds can crack and it’s rare the rear timing belt gets changed. I did consider an RR but liked the load space of the Disco 4.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I have an l200 for my two dogs and to do all the tip runs ect. 250quud Road tax, 250quid annual service and I get about 35mpg.

I end up using it more than my other cars now. Its fully loaded with all I need and it drives like a car and also fits 5 people in.
Do you have the rear bed covered?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I like the Audi Allroads, but they are an estate, or should I say Avant! What about those Toyota CRH, not sure what they cost now used, but they look nice?

BMW F10’s are nice and a lot of car for the money, Audi A5 4 door?

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Had a chat with a local independent LR garage and get a good Disco 4 and should be good to run. Read up on the crank and seems to be an issue with pre 2012 but possibly later? Inlet manifolds can crack and it’s rare the rear timing belt gets changed. I did consider an RR but liked the load space of the Disco 4.
You are probably better off with an X5 or X6!

JMS

Pit Crew
Do you have the rear bed covered?

Yep have a truckman on the back with metal grills over windows on inside so in summer can have windows open for air without my crazy spaniels jumping out. The back has vetbed and a big dog bed its perfect for them. Canopy then pops off with 8 clips if I need to carry something large. Its perfect all round for us.

Also if the dogs are wet and muddy its no big deal as just jet wash the back and vetbed goes in the washing machine