Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Help choosing a car

Senna11

Racing Driver
I had the SDV6 it was great on fuel.
So the online search went to RR and blowing the budget before thinking again about what I need the car for so viewed a Disco 4. FF RR in autobiography spec is what I want but not for the task in hand.

Wolverine

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW 420D M Sport Gran Coupe
We’ve just sold our Sportage and are getting a Gen 1 XC90 to cart around our ever expanding family and assorted baggage. It’s the 2.4 diesel 5 cylinder auto and is a nice enough place to be. Paying £11k for something in decent nick with a good spec and mileage. Will do all you ask for? And as a 7 seater, the boot is humungous, even if you never use the third row seats.
Equally, the Sportage would do the same but is a bit smaller and spec can be a little barren on some models.

StuartK

Chief Engineer
There are many SUV’s but really only one is acceptable. EVERYTHING else is an imitation.

Range Rover. Though the sport drives massively better than the FF.

Tengocity

Test Pilot
Drives
Cayman 981 GT4, Cayman 987 S, BMW 340i tourer, BMW X3 M40i
I’ve sort of been through a similar though process recently. I considered a pick up, partly for the dog, partly for just rural living practicality, DIY, garden equipment etc. Decided against it as wife wasn't sure she wanted to drive something that size. We had a X5 hybrid on order, but I bottled out as just wasn't excited enough for what it was going to cost. Ended up in a X3 M40i with a tow bar!
It's been great, and good for longer trips away, but I do still think a pick up or large proper 4x4 would be a good buy for us. Ford Ranger Wildtrak is what caught my eye, as pretty well kitted out for when you're used to car levels of kit. Otherwise I think most folk would say a Disco 4 is the the great all rounder.

Ennoch

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW F31 335D
Had a chat with a local independent LR garage and get a good Disco 4 and should be good to run. Read up on the crank and seems to be an issue with pre 2012 but possibly later? Inlet manifolds can crack and it’s rare the rear timing belt gets changed. I did consider an RR but liked the load space of the Disco 4.

I think many of them are great, but having seen first hand the design of the crank on one which had snapped I'm not sure I could justify buying one (and I did really, really want to for the same reasons you said as the load space is fantastic on them) as I think I'd always feel it was a ticking time bomb. The 6spd did seem to be worse though and there were are a few different suggestions for what might be causing them. Failing crank balancers being one of them. They also don't feel quite so special as the FFRR and having had both a mapped TD6 (complete with chocolate gearbox thanks to BMW penny-pinchers) and TDV8 3.6 I have a massive soft spot for them. If I do end up moving north in a few years I'll sack the BMW off and go back to one in a heartbeat (especially with a full set of AT's fitted) as I'll still have the Impreza for fun and will be able to do so right from the front door so won't have any great desire for the quick and practical estate.

With the Audi's they're good cars but very complex, especially with air suspension. And that air suspension makes the early L322 setup look reliable... Nice cars though. As for your Evoque comment about it being a girl's car, they're likely too small for you anyway but they are really, really deceptively good. My dad's had a 2015 one from new with a full Christmas tree spec on it and it's brilliant. Goes well, handles well and pisses all over the German offerings for ability in the snow and dirt.

Senna11

Racing Driver
I’ve sort of been through a similar though process recently. I considered a pick up, partly for the dog, partly for just rural living practicality, DIY, garden equipment etc. Decided against it as wife wasn't sure she wanted to drive something that size. We had a X5 hybrid on order, but I bottled out as just wasn't excited enough for what it was going to cost. Ended up in a X3 M40i with a tow bar!
It's been great, and good for longer trips away, but I do still think a pick up or large proper 4x4 would be a good buy for us. Ford Ranger Wildtrak is what caught my eye, as pretty well kitted out for when you're used to car levels of kit. Otherwise I think most folk would say a Disco 4 is the the great all rounder.
L200 and Ford Ranger both appealed and great as a full time tow car but not quite right for some reason. The wife also didn’t like them but that wouldn’t put me off. Didn’t realise how much a Disco leans in a corner! A lot softer compared to road based SUVs.