Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Independent dealer help

Mo21

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW M4 F83
Hi all,
I know your all a bunch of helpful lads on here so hoping to get some help.
I bought an M4 about a month back from an independent dealer. Everything looks good on the car and condition etc.
Only after buying did I realise the heated steering wheel doesn’t work.
I contacted the dealer who booked the car into BMW to have it checked and was told today the wire was cut nothing they can do.
now I don’t care too much about the heated steering wheel but it’s the principle of it.
the dealer have said they did not advertise the heated steering wheel so nothing they can do further.
Do I have any further options?

Senna11

Racing Driver
If the loom is present than should be an easy fix. If not then they should have explained that that option wasn’t working although they may say you should have checked all in order. You may want to check with trading standards first.

Mo21

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW M4 F83
That was my thinking about the loom. They told me the main dealer said there’s nothing they can do which seems like lies and more they don’t want to pay to resolve the issue.

I definitely should have checked it was working which is my fault. Heated steering wheel was the last thing on my mind when checking everything!

Thanks for the advice.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I don't think you will get anywhere with warranty / garage to be honest, I think you will go round in circles to what would be considered a minor issue and probably comes under trim and wear and tear! I would focus on, why it was cut and can it be fixed, joined back up.

I am quite fussy with my cars, I want everything to work whether I use it or not, so it would piss me off.

Its always worth giving them an ultimatum to either fix or they will be receiving really crappy reviews at your every opportunity, as this may encourage them to fix VS cost to there reputation!

Senna11

Racing Driver
Maybe someone had a steering wheel changed and the put the original one back on. Or does the wheel have a heating element?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
When I traded in my F83 recently, I know for a fact the dealer swapped my alcantara heated wheel with his his M-Performance wheel on his own car.

However, if the dealer hasn't advertised the car as having a heated steering wheel, there's not much you can do. The only thing you can do is swap the wheel for a heated one. I doubt very much that a wire has been cut. Not sure how that could happen unless deliberate. The heating wire runs inside the leather steering wheel ring and comes inside the trim and plugs into a module.

Might be worth speaking to Jack at Royal Steering Wheels and ask if he can do a swap for you. I've used them loads of times and they do an exchange service. So he might be willing to swap a non-heated wheel for a heated one at a cost to you.