Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

M3 vs RS4 - Joe Achilles

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
Joe’s one of the good ones. He’s a BMW fanboy through and through though (and the B9 RS4 is knocking on a bit) so I’m pretty sure I know how this one’ll go…

Burnsey

Chief Engineer
Drives
2023 G80 M3 Competition X-Drive
Watched it, so won't spoil it, but it's a tough side by side for me. I do love an Audi estate, but they always seem to follow behind BMW - wait for a new release, add more trick bits and put them in showrooms a year or two later, then people say how much more modern they look than BMW, but same happens again and they quickly date.

I think the RS6 is a good looking weapon, but the RS4 is in dire need of a makeover, both in looks and tech. The new M3 Touring will put it to shame.

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
I would have been in an RS4 over the summer, but the deal to swap from X3 was just dreadful. I thought it was a lovely car....havent drive the new M3 though

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I would have been in an RS4 over the summer, but the deal to swap from X3 was just dreadful. I thought it was a lovely car....havent drive the new M3 though

I really enjoyed my RS5 but there's something about Audi's RS range that just lacks a certain feeling that you get from an M car. BMW do a better job of making the whole M thing feel a bit more special, whereas I felt that my RS5 was just another car in the Audi line-up. Fast and (to my eyes) great looking but other than that just another part of the overall. My M cars have always felt a class apart. Although I cant really quite put my finger on why that is.

Grunty-Motor

Pit Crew
Drives
X3M, MX-5, R1250GS and zx6r track bike
I really enjoyed my RS5 but there's something about Audi's RS range that just lacks a certain feeling that you get from an M car. BMW do a better job of making the whole M thing feel a bit more special, whereas I felt that my RS5 was just another car in the Audi line-up. Fast and (to my eyes) great looking but other than that just another part of the overall. My M cars have always felt a class apart. Although I cant really quite put my finger on why that is.
A lot of people share that view. My view is restricted by the fact that i only ever driven the X3 so not really representative of the M range i guess. And with me having dog/family/towing 90% of the time, being "just another car" suited a bit better.

Then again, i didnt buy it, so must be something else going on as i couldnt really justify the X3 price at the time but still bought that!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’ve never owned a Mercedes. Came close to buying a CLS once and couldn’t get comfy in the current C class. Didn’t have a nice experience with the Merc dealer. Found them very arrogant. But I’d like to own an AMG product just to see what it’s like in comparison to M and RS.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I really want to like both of them being a fast German fan, but I don't, the G has been quite the contrary to me, where as for most its been a grower, its acually gone the other way for me. Something awkward about the shape and styling.

The Audi is not a great looker to me (nor is the latest RS6) like the RS's that came before them, just seemed so right, Butch and lustful. The new front bumpers for example just don't look good to me with the cut out bottoms.

As said Audi has also always been behind BMW in driving dynamics and power, and that RS4 should be better than that by now, and 450 is just not good enough, when you think in 2006 it was 420 Bhp N/A beastie making an awesome noise!