Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competitions and much more. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Road-Rage nutter, anyone fitted a dashcam / can recommend a mi-fi?

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I had one on my RS5. It was an Audi-branded number that was hardwired in the wiring of the car. Wasn't the best to be honest. I hadn't bothered with one for the M4 but was involved in a fairly ugly road-rage incident last week when taking the kids the school and it prompted me to fit one today.

Long story short I followed the car in front of me turning left at a junction (on to a main road) with a fairly decent gap between and the next car coming along. I realised I was going to make the guy slow a bit but my rationale was that the car in front of me was doing that anyway and there was still a good 4 car lengths of a gap. Anyway the jumper-and-scarf wearing Dane Bowers look-a-like in his Mitsubishi Warrior wasn't happy and decided to make his displeasure felt by putting the foot down to close the gap until he was sitting on my back bumper. I dabbed the brakes and slowed to a crawl as I was coming up to a filter lane to that would take me on my right-hand turn to street with the kids school on it. After failing to overtake me here as I moved over the right, the guy followed me, flew past me at 40mph on a 20mph road packed with cars and kids and cut me off, forcing my car to a halt. Queue much shouting and bawling at each other and near fisty-cuffs but as the chap started to thrust his chest out and keep asking me "what was that?" in that laughably cardboard "I'm going to fight you" type way, he thought better of it and backed down before getting back in his car and driving off. Not before blocking the entire road and holding up countless parents and kids trying to get to school.

Apparently the reason from him accelerating to zoom up my backside was because he "has a truck that slides". I thought that particularly laughable...

For my part, I shouldn't have reacted to the guy zooming up my arse but what followed was wholly unnecessary and down-right dangerous. I had my previous dashcam as much for the parking mode as for actual driving and wanted the same for the M4. But immediately after this I couldnt help thinking I wished I'd had a dash-cam on this car so ordered one that day.

Problem is that dual-channel seems to be pretty tricky due to the convertible roof so I just went for a single channel Blackvue DR900X which has integrated power management (older models required a separate box called a Power Magic), is 4K quality and has cloud functionality.

BMW F80, F82, F83 Dashcam wiring fuse locations
Took me a while to find this online so just in case anyone ever searches for the above. Constant live goes to fuse 161 and ignition live goes to fuse 143.

IN CAR MI-FI
The Blackview DR900X has cloud functionality where if it detects a collision or anything else happening to your car when parked it can send an alert to your phone. Such functionality was missing on the Audi one I had previously and I'd quite like this. I'm thinking of putting an a 4G access point in the car. Anyone recommend one in particular and also any decent 12 month data-sims?

Senna11

Racing Driver
Do these have a tendency to drain the battery? What about rear view cam?
Fitted Nextbase front and rear in the dog wagon, just so I could have a go at wiring it in, fairly straightforward even for me!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Do these have a tendency to drain the battery? What about rear view cam?
Fitted Nextbase front and rear in the dog wagon, just so I could have a go at wiring it in, fairly straightforward even for me!

They have a built in voltage monitor and cut off if the voltage drops too low. Used to be a separate unit but it’s built into the camera now.

Didnt bother with the rear cam this time as there’s no elegant solution for mounting it in a vert.

I went ahead and bought an EE mi-fi which has its own battery and charges when the ignition is on. So far so good.

Tell you what’s well weird! The Blackvue cloud app lets you view other people’s dash cams. People have to opt-in to allow others to view but I’m baffled as to why so many people have!

Senna11

Racing Driver
They have a built in voltage monitor and cut off if the voltage drops too low. Used to be a separate unit but it’s built into the camera now.

Didnt bother with the rear cam this time as there’s no elegant solution for mounting it in a vert.

I went ahead and bought an EE mi-fi which has its own battery and charges when the ignition is on. So far so good.

Tell you what’s well weird! The Blackvue cloud app lets you view other people’s dash cams. People have to opt-in to allow others to view but I’m baffled as to why so many people have!
Why let others view? That’s very strange.
I have seen a rear camera view on a vert mounted on a piece of carbon - looked really good so can be done.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Why let others view? That’s very strange.
I have seen a rear camera view on a vert mounted on a piece of carbon - looked really good so can be done.

All the ones I’ve seen I’d seen rely on some kind of mount between the rear headrests. To get one fitted to the F83 rear screen is a bit complex due to the cable runs. I might attempt it though.

Senna11

Racing Driver
All the ones I’ve seen I’d seen rely on some kind of mount between the rear headrests. To get one fitted to the F83 rear screen is a bit complex due to the cable runs. I might attempt it though.
Easy job for you!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Bastard! Managed to work out how to run the cable from the back to the front along all the roof related gubbins in a way that it’s attached to the rear screen… only to the discover the cables about 3 feet too short.

Will need to do it all over again when the longer cable comes.