Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

Subscription features

RENTAGOAT

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW F31
We all knew the day was coming and it explains the tightening up of BMW on bimmercode coding etc of cars going into their dealerships.
But this is just a new kind of madness DA6C856D-FABC-49DA-9272-718D2B887E61.jpeg

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
Except, I am assuming that instead of charging extra at order/build time, these are now add-ons you can chose after sale... On a 1-er, Driving assistant plus is £1000, heated seats on lower models are part of a package etc etc...

Where did you see that list..? I would not mind a look at the web page with that...

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
ps - and they are not about to remove features that you have already bought and paid for... This is for new cars, where those features were not bought on the initial order, right...?

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
We all knew the day was coming and it explains the tightening up of BMW on bimmercode coding etc of cars going into their dealerships.
But this is just a new kind of madness View attachment 2364

Is that screenshot from your Connected Drive store page for your F31..?

I just looked at my various F30 orders from the past, and seat heating was a £325 extra... This even on a 340i M Sport... So they were not standard on the F30, for sure...

RENTAGOAT

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW F31
Is that screenshot from your Connected Drive store page for your F31..?

I just looked at my various F30 orders from the past, and seat heating was a £325 extra... This even on a 340i M Sport... So they were not standard on the F30, for sure...
Not my F31 connected drive store but a pic of a connected drive store for a newer vehicle (not mine) showing the format. It seems they are shipping all new cars with every function in place (hardware) then you just pay the full option price like you did before to enable/keep it (software) or try/lease it on a subscription basis.

RENTAGOAT

Tyre Kicker
Drives
BMW F31
ps - and they are not about to remove features that you have already bought and paid for... This is for new cars, where those features were not bought on the initial order, right...?
Correct

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I read about heated seats as an annual subscription the other day. Absolute madness. This attitude to features is something that would be enough to push me away from the brand altogether.

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
Not my F31 connected drive store but a pic of a connected drive store for a newer vehicle (not mine) showing the format. It seems they are shipping all new cars with every function in place (hardware) then you just pay the full option price like you did before to enable/keep it (software) or try/lease it on a subscription basis.

Makes sense... and with the move to digital dashboards, no need to have the switches fitted as these features are set in the settings and on the screens, so just software...

... and, as has been pointed out on another forum, may make things a little easier for those folk who are trying to come in under the £40k tax threshold... I suspect that this might have been possible with mine with this new model of subscription and/or payment after... The main thing here would be to have some sort of confirmation as to what will be available for "add on" after with any particular model...

Last edited:

DaveA

Boy Racer
Drives
BMW M135i xDrive
I read about heated seats as an annual subscription the other day. Absolute madness. This attitude to features is something that would be enough to push me away from the brand altogether.

But, to be fair, even recently, heated seats were an optional extra... They were for sure on my F30's as I ordered them... £325 for adding the feature (and it may well have been that the features were in the car anyway (albeit the switches were not fitted)...

But the move to buttonless dash boards and displays means that these can be "coded" to work afterwards and do not need the switches...

Now, we can argue about what features should be standard, as such thinks come standard on other cars, but most of the things I have seen on the discussions of the subscription services were already chargeable extras...

I suspect some features will remain standard on the more expensive models, as they are now... I do not see this as a move to everything being charged for, just an ability to add things later... and this will be a real bonus in the second hand market as more cars will be customisable for longer...

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
I’ve since read that they aren’t forcing you to pay for them monthly. You can pay to permanently activate these features as well, so that makes more sense.