Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW Forum

Welcome to Deutschespeed.com the newly launched community for German Performance car lovers. The site is in it's launch phase at the moment and so content and membership is small (but growing). Soon we'll have competition prizes and and a live ad campaign to help build the community. If you'd like to be apart of what's going on, sign up and join in!

This is how my search for an R8 is going...

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Audi R8 V10+ • Taycan GTS
This is how my search for an R8 is going so far:
1 car has been resprayed twice (from silver to black and back to silver again)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306228808050

3 cars have shite MOT histories which demonstrate their owners have been too skint to maintain them properly.

1 car has two holes in the roof. (pointed out at the same time the guy said the words "the car is perfect").
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303034865236

1 car has been mileage clocked by 10,000 miles. Been sorted but the service history is all out of wack as a result.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307059311437

1 car has a 3 year gap in its servicing and the dealer started ignoring me when I queried it.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306028062079

1 car is scuffed up all over the place
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303024805072

Was hopefully about to do a deal on a lovely black V10 Spyder but just beaten to it by another buyer this morning

A few for sale privately but they're over-priced. Guess I'll just need to sit tight and wait for the right one to come up.

Senna11

Racing Driver
This is how my search for an R8 is going so far:
1 car has been resprayed twice (from silver to black and back to silver again)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306228808050

3 cars have shite MOT histories which demonstrate their owners have been too skint to maintain them properly.

1 car has two holes in the roof. (pointed out at the same time the guy said the words "the car is perfect").
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303034865236

1 car has been mileage clocked by 10,000 miles. Been sorted but the service history is all out of wack as a result.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307059311437

1 car has a 3 year gap in its servicing and the dealer started ignoring me when I queried it.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306028062079

1 car is scuffed up all over the place
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303024805072

Was hopefully about to do a deal on a lovely black V10 Spyder but just beaten to it by another buyer this morning

A few for sale privately but they're over-priced. Guess I'll just need to sit tight and wait for the right one to come up.
Quite a few owners on some, last pic doesn’t seem anyone cleaned the wheels.

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’m genuinely surprised at the number of shit boxes there are! Straight forward cars are a rarity it seems. I’m now split between waiting for the right one to pop up, looking at AMG GTS’s or ditching the idea entirely and keeping my lovely wee TTS which I’ve had out on loan for the last three months.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I’m genuinely surprised at the number of shit boxes there are! Straight forward cars are a rarity it seems. I’m now split between waiting for the right one to pop up, looking at AMG GTS’s or ditching the idea entirely and keeping my lovely wee TTS which I’ve had out on loan for the last three months.

I know I am bias, but I have been here a few times, at this kinda budget and F430's can be had at bargains at the moment. They really are an incredible car, I would suggest go and drive one!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I know I am bias, but I have been here a few times, at this kinda budget and F430's can be had at bargains at the moment. They really are an incredible car, I would suggest go and drive one!

The attraction with the R8 is that it’s pretty much bullet proof (aside from the mag ride shocks) and you get Audi servicing and parts costs. A Ferrari is a different proposition in that regard entirely surely?

Also it seems that within the same budget you’re looking at a Ferrari that’s 20 years old instead of 10.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
The attraction with the R8 is that it’s pretty much bullet proof (aside from the mag ride shocks) and you get Audi servicing and parts costs. A Ferrari is a different proposition in that regard entirely surely?

Also it seems that within the same budget you’re looking at a Ferrari that’s 20 years old instead of 10.

It will cost more to run, but if you buy right with known issues addressed, it should be a pretty solid purchase. I know its my opinion, but there is nothing quite like them as a package.

I can see the appeal in a newer car though, and cheaper to run!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Test drove a 4.2 V8 Spyder this morning. @boba fett I think your summation covers it pretty well. Too old and not fast enough.

I could live with the interior if it were in great condition and the drive was compelling but after that, it really needs to be the V10. Lots of drama coming from the V8 behind me but now enough speed to match it

If I were totally sold on going down the convertible route a 15 plate M4 for half the money seems like much better value.

If I continue down the R8 route I think it would need to a mint V10 Spyder or Plus Coupe.

In the meantime I’m going to wait till I get my TTS back and see where I go from there.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
Test drove a 4.2 V8 Spyder this morning. @boba fett I think your summation covers it pretty well. Too old and not fast enough.

I could live with the interior if it were in great condition and the drive was compelling but after that, it really needs to be the V10. Lots of drama coming from the V8 behind me but now enough speed to match it

If I were totally sold on going down the convertible route a 15 plate M4 for half the money seems like much better value.

If I continue down the R8 route I think it would need to a mint V10 Spyder or Plus Coupe.

In the meantime I’m going to wait till I get my TTS back and see where I go from there.

The TTS is a great little car, they drive, feel, act and are more agile than the V8 R8, and in some cases the early V10. I have found when searching, the V8 interiors have not worn well and I now, could not live with how old and bland they look inside.

I've looked at about 5 now, and I have come to the conclusion that for up to 55 bags, they are not for me (and my wife thinks I'm a dumb ass having two mid engine 2 seaters!) and she's probably right!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Yep. A decent V10 is closer to £60k and although I’ve not tried a coupe I think that the Spyder helps add to the drama.

I think I could live with the interior if it was in top-notch condition and had the carbon bits. There’s no doubt the best version to go for is the Plus in terms of interior spec and performance.

In terms of cost versus reward I just didn’t get excited enough to warrant the extra outlay over my TTS. I need to try the V10 to see how I really feel but I’m going to keep watch for a local car to pop up rather than keep trying to hunt down one on Autotrader.

boba fett

Racing Driver
Drives
320d
I’m getting fed up with cars, just working on getting what I really only need. I just got rid of the Jeep, I really liked it, but it was completely useless, went for another Range Rover Sport as missed our old one and they do everything so well. Managed to get a low miles and a no kids owner, it’s like new!

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
I’m getting fed up with cars, just working on getting what I really only need. I just got rid of the Jeep, I really liked it, but it was completely useless, went for another Range Rover Sport as missed our old one and they do everything so well. Managed to get a low miles and a no kids owner, it’s like new!

One of the neighbours has just bought an SVR. It’s loud…

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
….and we’re now onto to Tuesday evening and I’m still watching R8 videos. I need to try a V10.

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
It took months for me, keep looking and speak to Ricky regularly, so worth it when you find the right one 👍

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
It took months for me, keep looking and speak to Ricky regularly, so worth it when you find the right one 👍

@Che What do you think of these two?

8 owners. Main dealer service history. Mix of long-life (2 years) and annual. Wing backs and carbon blades. Wheels are kerbed and need refurbing.
Previous collecting cars ad here: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2013-audi-r8-v10-plus-1

6 owners. Last two services by Ricky @ RE Performance. Last one only done in March. Apparently he's told the guy not to sell it as its a good car. Downside is that it doesnt have wingbacks and the blades are wrapped. Good MOT history and Serviced every since year.
Previous collecting cars ad here: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2014-audi-r8-v10-plus-1

Both of the above cars have featured on Collecting cars in the past. Both owners have only owned them for less than a year. Car number one is being sold as the guy needs the cash and wanted to buy and E92. Car number is being sold by a young finance wiz who's going abroad to work.

Also, so absolute dreamers selling these cars. Check the price of this!

I'm quite tempted by the 2nd one, just because it's been looked after by RE Performance for the last couple of years.

Che

Test Pilot
Drives
R8 v10+
I’m put off the first one with the mix of long life servicing. Even though its possible to do ive never heard anyone in the know recommended it, every year it should be done.

Second car looks good, confused by the blades though as the plus normally has them carbon as standard? I was the same regards wingbacks but as lovely as they are, once I’d seen the diamond stitch in the flesh it really lifts the interior.
I believe with the diamond stitch it should also have the leather dash, door card tops and other areas of interior that you don’t get with wingbacks.
Id personally have to get rid of the little spoiler on the rear though.
Great it has an exhaust and a valved one at that too so you’ll hear that v10 when you want to.

Drop Ricky an email for info on the car ([email protected]), he’s a standup guy and will give you a full overview, he will also happily ppi a car too and he’s very thorough.
If you want to pm me your mobile I can get you added to a WhatsApp group he’s active in too. People on there may even be able to help with more history/info 👍

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives
Brilliant Che thanks.

The spoiler would be coming off. That was an element that put me off the car and the guy can’t tell me if it’s bonded on or if it’s just VHB tape.

Re. The blades there are a few Plus’s on Autotrader that don’t have carbon blades so im a bit confused about that.

EDIT - I've just double checked this and actually the only other one on Auto trader that doesn't have them is actually just a standard V10. I mis-read the ad. Strange that this one has had the blades wrapped.

I just checked the paperwork and the car was last in at RE Performance less than three weeks ago, so I've dropped him an email to ask about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Che

moonstone

Tyre Kicker
Drives